1988 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 2.9L (177ci) Fuel Injected from North America

Summary:

Best vehicle I've ever driven

A4LD had to be rebuilt at 110,000 miles (my dad owned this truck before me).

Valve cover gaskets were replaced at around 100,000 miles.

The in-tank fuel pump quit on me at about 135,000 miles.

As with all these trucks, there's a lot of body rust, but I try to keep up with it.

The clearcoat hasn't peeled, but I really don't think there's anything left of it.

I also had to replace the catalytic converter at about 130,000 miles.

General Comments:

This truck is the best vehicle I've ever driven.

While the 2.9L V6 isn't incredibly powerful, my Bronco II has plenty of power, both on and off road.

There's plenty of ground clearance and a short wheelbase, so offroading is a breeze.

Handling is 100 times better after swapping out the beaten Bronco II rear leaf springs for a set from a '94 Explorer.

The interior is nice looking, roomy, and comfortable.

This truck has been reliable and has never left me sitting.

Review Date: 4th December, 2005

1988 Ford Bronco II 2.9V-6 from North America

Summary:

A gamble

Transmission rebuilt at 79,000

Cracked Heads, both sides junked at 86,000.

General Comments:

I like the bronco II, but they do have there problems. I spoke to a mechanic at my local Ford dealer and he told me the same thing I've heard from many different mechanics,"They'll either last you 200,000 miles or 20 miles. The 2.9L is a semi powerful engine, but it has a bad habit of cracked heads.

Review Date: 1st November, 2005

9th Apr 2008, 19:45

I agree; cracked heads and oil issues among other things.

1988 Ford Bronco II XL 2.9 liter V6 from North America

Summary:

I'm going to keep this truck forever

The parking brake is stuck. The guy I bought it from said it was like that when he bought as well. The cable is probably rusted to something, because all of the parts are intact.

There was a small coolant leak due to a loose hose clamp. There is a small oil leak at the valve covers and the rear of the transfer case. But I expected there to be a leak somewhere on a seventeen year old truck.

The tailgate doesn't close all the way for some reason. But it locks and stays shut until it is unlocked.

There is a small leak at the top of the windshield due to a little rust on the roof. The clear coat on the roof is almost gone too.

Driver seat mounting bracket is cracked, so the seat wobbles a little.

Rear aftermarket speakers and dome light don't work.

Basically with the addition of a few other parts, all it needs is a small tune up.

General Comments:

This is my first vehicle and I love it! The owner wanted $900 for it, but I bought it for $700.

The engine is running great for a seventeen year old vehicle. The transmission/clutch are both in great condition. The 4wd works perfectly as well.

The interior is very comfortable. I am 5' 11", so I needed something with headroom. This truck has plenty. The seats are also very nice. There are a couple small tears in the vinyl on the doors, but there not very big. So you don't really see them. The dome light doesn't turn on, but I'll live. The truck had a blaupunkt (german made) CD player in it when I bought it. I go to Amsterdam and places where mild theft is abundant, so the detachable CD player face is a nice feature. Someone tried installing larger rear speakers, but they don't work. Probably a small wiring mistake. At first I thought the blower motor needed to be replaced, but after letting the truck warm up a little, the heat worked just fine.

Review Date: 8th March, 2005

19th Jul 2005, 14:20

I also have a ford bronco II XLT, I bought it for $500 and I had to put a new alternater in it, a used motor, and a battery, some small leaks, but it works great, starts up everytime, 4 wheel drive, tailgate works perfectly (i was rear ended so I'm getting another tailgate) I love it and plan on keeping it forever, hopefully ill make enough money to fix it, one of my dream cars, and a bronco I is also in my dreams, but I don't have the money for that.

4th Aug 2005, 20:50

Bronco II's are so versaitle too! They will drive through almost anything! A lot of the small problems I listed are either gone, or fixed with very little money.