1988 Ford Bronco II dontknow dontknow from North America

Summary:

You want my Bronco? You'll have to pay me.. one million dollars! (Bwa HA HA HA!)

Soon, I'll be replacing:

*Rear drive shaft

*Tires

*Leaking water pump.

Also will get brakes adjusted, and automatic transmission looked at.

The struts for the rear hatch are getting weak, but they will be fine enough for a while.

The seats are getting a bit worn and one back seat won't fold.

It needs a new paint job like you wouldn't believe, and needs some rust patching.

General Comments:

Even if I won a million dollars, I wouldn't replace this one. It would get a lot shinier inside and out, and brought up to 100% mechanically real quick, but it suits me to a 'T'.

I like that it can sit a crew of people, but can handle a lot of cargo, especially since I got roof-racks. I love going to garage sales, and it can accommodate a lot of large and oddly shaped stuff.

I've only owned it for about 8 months and I haven't really done much for it except regular checking of fluids and tire pressure.

It is a bit expensive on fuel, but I need a reliable 4wd, since I live at the end of a pretty gnarly unpaved road in Canada.

Parts won't be too hard to find since my whole family has been Ford-nuts since forever, and my dad's backyard has been described as 'the place where the old Fords go to die'.

I haven't experienced the roll-over thing, but in the prairies they're often referred to as 'Tumbleweeds' for their habit of rolling, especially when hitting a curb after sliding sideways off-angle, which is not unusual over there.

Review Date: 15th September, 2004

16th Sep 2004, 07:13

You just might be able to get a million for it.

That "dontknow" edition is pretty rare.

9th Nov 2011, 23:56

I am the original poster. It's now 8 years later, and the Bronco still runs, though it is now used only as a logging road, berry-picking transport, owned by my parents. It never seriously failed me, I just wasn't making enough money to afford fixing and maintaining it properly.

Now, I drive a 95 Pathfinder, and I am remembering why I loved my Bronco so much.

1988 Ford Bronco II XLT 2.9L V6 from North America

Summary:

One of the best 4x4's out there

Transmission went a week after it was bought, but the dealer replaced it free of charge.

Radiator leaks, not a large problem though.

Had to replace the brakes.

Four wheel drive stopped working, was easily fixed at minimal cost.

General Comments:

I have owned this Bronco for 5 years now, and it has been great since I bought it. I have had no real major problems with it, and have spent a small amount on repairs and damages. There was some transmission trouble, but that has now been fixed. Also, it is not the best on gas mileage, but it's worth the little bit of extra money.

I take it four wheeling often and it handles beautifully on and off the trails. Many people criticize the Bronco's handling and stability, but I have not had a problem with it yet.

Canadian winters are always tough on cars, wind, snow, and ice are common driving conditions. The four wheel drive handled these conditions with ease as it made winter driving much less stressful.

The interior on the Bronco was very comfortable and is still in mint condition. Installing a CD player is very easy as it fits perfectly into the stock location.

All in all I really enjoy my Bronco II and don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon.

Review Date: 20th May, 2004

1988 Ford Bronco II XLT 2.9L (177 cid) from North America

Summary:

This is an OK beater

A lot of things. The water pump blew out when I first bought it. Valve cover gaskets were next to go. Radiator went out, Brake line blew. Fuel tank replaced as well as the fuel sending unit.I'll tell ya this it was good truck and it served it's purpose.I'll miss it.

General Comments:

This truck is dependable if you put money into it. When I say money I mean lots of it.

Review Date: 14th December, 2003

28th May 2008, 20:34

I hear you about lots of money required to sustain the B2. I got mine for $5K and just my repairs added up to over $10K,...engine, transmission for starters, lost count on the other problems. I retired it when the second engine could no longer run on bars leaks... it had a cracked head.