1998 Ford Mustang GT 4.6 SOHC from North America

Summary:

Solid performing and fun to drive

O2 sensor at 150k.

Front brake pads at 150k.

Gas filler tube gasket - from a sloppy pipe job?

General Comments:

This is a well built car and the 4.6L is a solid engine. It drives and handles very well.

Running costs are a little higher than we expected. We were expecting to squeeze 25 MPG at Oregon highway speeds (55mph), but the best we have achieved is 23 MPG.

Comfort of the front seats could be improved if the head rest were further forward, but the leather has held up pretty well. We have seat covers on it now.

The previous owner had straight pipes installed from the catalytic converters back, without any mufflers. It sounds great, but the idiots damaged the gas tank filler tube in the process, and that was the first thing we had to fix.

It set a engine code when one of the O2 sensors failed. C'mon Ford! Really? You need FOUR oxygen sensors for one engine? There are two before and two after the catalytic converters, but Autozone's free scan identified the offending sensor, and $50 later we were engine code free again.

Review Date: 28th December, 2012

1998 Ford Mustang Base 3.8L V6 from North America

Summary:

Awesome

I have had this car for 5 years. I obviously bought it used.

I always wanted a Mustang, and when I saw this, I had to have it. I did have to do some work to it when I got it, but I paid about $2500 for it after compensation for a new clutch, tires and a cam sensor part.

The car's Carfax report lead me to believe it had been wrecked prior to my owning it, based on the fact it was stolen before I owned it. I kind of laugh and say my car has a criminal history, but it's been a great car.

I have recently replaced the tires and the connectors to the battery. I do have a slight leak in my AC, but it's about 100 bucks to fix, so it is not that bad for a 1998.

General Comments:

I love this car. I have wanted a Mustang since I was little, and I didn't care that it wasn't new; it was what I wanted.

It is quick enough for me. I use to drive a Neon, and going to this was a nice change.

I have moved 3 times with this car; it actually has more room inside than it appears to.

The interior is in excellent condition. I have no holes on the seats, and the dash is in great shape. The carpet on the floor is a little dirty, but I feel with a nice steam cleaning, they will look brand new.

I do not have the spoiler any more; it was broken when I purchased it, and I haven't replaced it yet.

The only complaint I have is the way it handles in the rain. It likes to glide in the rain, especially the back end. I don't like to drive when it rains because of this.

This car has been my most reliable vehicle in 16 years. I drove it 9 hours every month for a year, and drive it all over the state. It drives nice for long distance, and is more comfortable than you would think, especially if you are a smaller individual. I would not say the same for bigger people.

All in all, this car is GREAT!

Review Date: 19th July, 2012

1998 Ford Mustang 3.8 V6 from North America

Summary:

Very reliable and fun!

Mechanically, almost nothing has gone wrong with this car during my five years of having it. I replaced a couple hoses, and other routine stuff like that.

The check engine light has only came on for me twice. Once, I needed a new sensor, under $40, and the second time was because I hadn't replaced the spark plugs in a minimum of three years.

I was 16 years old when I got this vehicle, and I drove it like a teenager would for the first 3 years of having it before I started to be a little bit more gentle with it. I never had any transmission problems! And I needed to flush the tranny for almost 2 years before I actually did!

The original CD player only worked for a few months after getting this car. Basically any CD player will fit well in it though.

The seats do break down a little with age. My driver's seat started to not stay in the up-most position around 160K, causing it to lean back a little more than I liked. I just kept a small blanket in the car as a little pillow. Considering I put over 100K on it in less than five years, what can you expect?

General Comments:

This car was amazing to me! It isn't the fastest thing, but it is pretty good considering it's the lower model. Mine had a governor that would only allow it to go 110 mph. (Which probably wasn't a bad thing for being 16 with a sports car!) It's very comfortable in my opinion (until your seats start to wear out). It always got great gas mileage. It would get at LEAST 20 mpg, always.

Within two weeks of getting the car, I basically totaled it. I crashed so hard that it bent the driver's front side of the main frame. Spent $2500 for repairs. I rear ended some one, but the damage was very minor. It got side swiped parked in front of my house one night. This car seriously took a beating and stacked up a LOT of miles in five years! And it still ran perfect!

The only reason I don't still have it, is because someone T-boned my passenger side, and their insurance declared it totaled.

Review Date: 26th November, 2010