1998 Ford Mustang Reviews - Page 2 of 9

1998 Ford Mustang 3.8 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.8 V6 Manual
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

Reliable, sporty looks, saved me in a bad crash with its 5-star rating

Honestly, I have had no problems with this car. I got a flat tire once!

General Comments:

This continues to be a great looking car, was a great value when I got it, and continues to be a value at its current age. The 3.8 is a little sluggish for the car's weight, but it's reliable and somewhat economical transport with the looks of American muscle.

It came to its untimely demise a few weeks ago in an accident, and I was sad to see it go. It's a great car and a great value. I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.

Review Date: 12th July, 2009

1998 Ford Mustang Base V6 232 3.8L from North America

Engine and transmission 232 3.8L Automatic
Distance when acquired120000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Camaro

Summary:

Good gas mileage and awesome styling

Nothing has gone wrong with the car, just gave it a good tune up.

General Comments:

Very good car. I trust this car to go anywhere. It gets decent gas mileage, 18-24MPG.

Love the style of the SN-95, and overall it gets up and goes. Not the fastest car, but it keeps up with most cars.

Only thing I don't really like about it is the seats are kind of hard, and you get kind of pinched between the door and center console.

Review Date: 13th March, 2009

1998 Ford Mustang V6 from North America

Engine and transmission V6 Manual
Most recent distance220000 miles
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Nothing much really. Spark plugs, brakes and the clutch, that's about it.

General Comments:

The car is great. It has a V6, which is plenty power and plenty fast for me, and it has 220000 miles on it, and I just recently had to replace the factory clutch.

I get about 25 mpg in it doing a city highway mix. I don't care what anyone says, if you don't drive the hell out of it, you can get decent mileage.

Review Date: 19th December, 2008

1998 Ford Mustang GT 4.6 from North America

Previous carBuick Regal

Summary:

YEEEHAAA

The transmission went out. I lost 5 and reverse. This was shortly after I bought the car. To fix the transmission was expensive. There is a limited supply of parts. The parts are expensive. A used transmission was expensive. That was a big one.

General Comments:

This car is a hoot to drive. With the top down, driving on a sunny day, it is nice.

The motor has a sweet sound at about 4000 rpms. 60 mph in second gear makes getting on the freeway a blast.

The car is also not too bad to ride in. The mileage it not too bad either. I had a Buick Regal that only got a mile or two more per gallon that this. This is a lot more FUN!!!

Review Date: 5th November, 2008

1998 Ford Mustang 3.8L V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.8L V6 Automatic
Distance when acquired120121 miles
Previous carChevrolet Camaro

Summary:

Good on gas, fast, and reliable!!!

Nothing has gone wrong with this car yet! Everything on this car is original, and it still runs like new and better than my Mom's 2000 Monte Carlo with only 90,000 miles.

I have put about 5,000 miles on this car since I bought it back in March, and no problems yet.

General Comments:

This car is good on gas, and is a still a quick car. I get about 20MPG city and 32MPG Hwy, and it does 0-60 in about 8-9 seconds; not bad for having no mods.

Also this car handles like a dream, and it is a comfortable ride.

And for having 125,000 miles, this car is still showroom condition.

Review Date: 3rd July, 2008

17th Aug 2008, 22:33

I cannot believe you think the 1998 V6 mustang is quick. I purchased a 1998 V6 Mustang brand new. I've owned it for 10 years. It only has 150 horse power. How could it possibly be fast? It's barely adequate on speed. I only have 72,000 miles on the Mustang and it already has about an inch play in the steering wheel. Not impressed with this car.

1998 Ford Mustang Cobra Convertible DOHC 4.6L from North America

Engine and transmission DOHC 4.6L Manual
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Reliably great fun without a lot of fuss!

Headlight lenses became yellowed and crazed w/minute cracks by 60,000 (six years).

Clutch wore out and required a change at 75,000 miles.

Driver's door power door lock actuator/switch broke at 85,000 miles (nine years).

General Comments:

This car is well-built and a reasonable size (I feel the "new" 2005+ model is way too big).

I like the layout of the interior and find it convenient, although one modification made all the difference. I had an after-market shifter installed, and it is fun and easy to shift AND it gave me back the use of one cup holder that was useless with the stock shifter!

It has 305 stock horsepower and is sufficiently quick to be fun and not outrageous. My wife likes the stock sound of the exhaust and describes it as "purposeful" - given it's sudden acceleration. She enjoys driving it and used it as her daily driver for over a year.

I find the 1998 Mustang Cobra Convertible amazingly good on gas, although it requires premium. If I am careful, I can wring 23-26 mpg if some freeway driving is mixed with in-town errands. Too much fun results in mileage dipping below 20 mpg.

Review Date: 23rd June, 2008