1993 Ford Probe Reviews - Page 19 of 23

1993 Ford Probe GT 2.5L 24 valve V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.5L 24 valve V6 Manual
Previous carSubaru GL

Summary:

A pricey investment for those with no mechanical skills, but overall a very fun car to drive

To start, I had to replace the ball joints and the tires on the car. This really hurt me financially. It was over 800 dollars for just the parts.

The passenger side ground effects broke off. Its not the cars fault I guess.

Two of the spark plugs became drowned in oil, which caused my car to frequently stall out at low RPM or idle and feel a bit sluggish at high RPM. It was corrected after I replaced all six spark plugs and spark plug wires.

The clutch and transmission replacement will be expensive if the problem is really as bad as I think it is. If its better than I expect, I will be able to get away with replacing my clutch.

General Comments:

I love this car. It was the very first car I actually purchased on my own without outside help. Its insurance rates are not sky high like the Mustang, the Camaro, and the Firebird. The engine may be a small six cylinder, but it has a lot of pep. Its handling is stiff and sharp turns are no problem. This car may have a fairly rough ride, but that is because of how low it is to the ground for handling purposes. I'm looking into a way to smooth the ride out a bit without decreasing the performance.

Review Date: 14th May, 2002

21st Jul 2003, 05:23

I have a Probe GT that I just bought used for a good price, but I'm worried about a problem that just began. You said yours stalled out while idling or at low RPM, right? Mine almost stalled out at high speed, on the highway, and the check engine light flashed on and off periodically. As I attempted to accelerate, the car hesistated and I thought it was going to die out, but it never did. Anyone know what this problem might be? That said, I love the performance of this car. It has great acceleration, especially since it has an aftermarket air intake system, and it corners like it's on rails. Just worried about the engine...

1993 Ford Probe GT 2.5L V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.5L V6 Manual
Distance when acquired92000 miles
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

Fun to drive, great to own, expensive to keep

Clutch has gone out. Replaced the distributor, twice. Currently needs valve cover gaskets, which is causing oil to leak onto the spark plug wires, and continuing to contribute to a vacuum leak. This however, is not uncommon to the 1993 Probe GT.

General Comments:

Despite it's problems, I wouldn't own another car. It's problems are what I describe as "Weekend-Fix Problems", which can be fixed over the weekend. It handles like NO other car I have ever driven. It gets great gas mileage, and spacious on the inside.

Review Date: 23rd April, 2002

1993 Ford Probe GT 2.5L V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.5L V6 Manual
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

A nice looking car, but not very useful when its not going anywhere..

Lemme see... a couple months after I got it, the rear calipers started seizing in cold weather.

Then, at about 80,000 miles, it overheated and stalled for no apparent reason.

At 90,000 miles the distributer and O2 sensors went out and it cost $634 in repairs.

About 2 weeks ago, it wouldn't start. Seems the fuel injectors are stuck open so the car floods out when the key is turned.

It recently began smoking, which the mechanic says is because of the fuel injectors pumping all that gas into the engine.

Now, its parked, waiting for a trip to the shop for a new water pump, timing belt, brakes, and fuel injector work, totally about $700 in repairs.

I don't know where the oil keeps going, there's no leak, its not burning oil, who knows?

Also, the paint seems to be fading away, but the car is almost 10 years old.

General Comments:

The Probe is a beautiful car, but its really lacking in integrity. The engine doesn't seem to have as much spirit as it should.

Because all the parts are made by Mazda, they're expensive and it seems like no parts store in the world carries them in stock.

Review Date: 2nd March, 2002

26th Jun 2003, 22:23

Does the car puff black smoke? If it does that would more than likely be where your oil is going. This would be because what happens is the valve seals shrink after many miles and oil gets into the cylinder and burns with the fuel, which creates black smoke. Best of luck with that.