2000 Ford Windstar LX 3.8 from North America

Summary:

Becoming a stress full issue and a scaring trapped feeling with only for payments into it

We have made a total of 4 payments on the 2000 Wind star LX 3.8L.

The engine light comes on a running temp and idle is sluggish, and some times rough.

After reading similar problems with other Wind stars I am afraid of putting any money in to this car.

Especially if it is a manufacture defect.

We are pulling codes PO171 & PO174.

Which neither offer a fix just a list of expense and time taking trail and error. We are in the middle of trying to purchase a home and this could not be happening at a worst time. I am scared to death and what this will cost. And can't afford the time away form work to get it fixed. I feel ford should be taking some responsibility for this defect and helping the customers out. Fix it or pay it off so that we can afford to fix it, is my suggestion.

General Comments:

This car runs OK, but idles rough, research states it will only get worse.

The interior light come on and off on there own.

Since the engine lite starting coming on we have noticed a drop in gas mileage.

Engine noise I cannot identify, but sounds like metal on metal tapping hard when accelerating up hill.

Review Date: 2nd November, 2005

3rd Nov 2005, 16:19

I don't know if this will help you or not, but on my 1996 Ford Ranger pickup (4L engine) I pulled the same codes you got when I had a rough idle/ stalling at red lights problem. The codes mean a lean air/fuel mixture (extra air getting into the fuel) so the dealer changed the intake gasket twice before figuring out that the EGR assembly was rusted out. Just a thought.

Also for the dome light issues, try spraying WD40 into the mechanism on the door frame that activates the light. These are notorious for trouble.

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3.8 from North America

Summary:

The Windstar is a great vehicle

My water pump went at 45,000 miles.

Replaced battery at 50,000 miles.

The control arm, lower tire rod and ball joint went at 70,000.

General Comments:

I like the Windstar, it's very comfortable and drives well.

Review Date: 29th July, 2005

2000 Ford Windstar LX from North America

Summary:

Do not buy this car. After the honeymoon is over, you will pay and pay and pay.

- Electrical system: Rear windows work intermittently, Tire light on constantly, Check Engine light on intermittently

- A/C: Condenser failed and was replaced, had to replace A/C hose/manifold

- Emergency brake is broken (intermittently)

- Driver's seat was not installed properly, had to be re-installed.

General Comments:

I bought this car for safety reasons (small child). However, I don't think the trade off of safety for bad quality was a good choice. (Other cars are safe too.) The van handles like a tank, is a gas-guzzler par excellence, and keeps having mechanical and electrical problems. I'm just wondering when the transmission will fail. I am very disappointed with Ford's non-response to the bad quality of their Windstars. We have owned Fords for years (my father even owns a Model T!) However, after this experience, we will not buy a Ford vehicle again. Ever.

Review Date: 19th May, 2005

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3.8 Litre Gas from North America

Summary:

At Ford, responsibility is not their job

General Comments:

Ah yes... someone mentioned service bulletin 3-16-1 for the Ford Windstar. I know it well. My lightly-driven, religiously serviced, leased/owned since new, 2000 Windstar LX was just out of warranty and I had the misfortune of just turning my new vehicle lease into a purchase. BIG mistake. The "check engine" light came on and it was time to learn about service bulletin 3-16-1 and pay pay pay... I have my invoice right here... Upper intake carbon removal and replacement of isolator bolt $763.36... replace MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor $67.92... Reprogram PCM $84.90... Purge injector system $104.95... + misc... Total = $1174.30... Ford's response to an apparent isolator bolt assembly failure (that now that I have read up about it, it seems to be a common failure and probably an engineering design flaw)... "Sorry, but we can't do anything, goodbye." The van has now started to regularly stall at a mileage of 55,000 miles. What a piece of crap. I really regret buying it.

Conclusion = DO NOT BUY A FORD WINDSTAR

Review Date: 23rd March, 2005

6th Apr 2005, 13:55

Couldn't have said it better myself. My check engine light has been on forever! I figure the catalytic converter or something. I have really had no major problems though with my LX, but Friday 4/1 I get home and my transmission went out! No warning, nothing. I called my boyfriend and I think he thought I was going to say "April Fool's" but it never came out! I am on a very tight budget being a "single" mom, with 3 small children and a 17 year old sis I am responsible for. The total is going to be up near 2grand! I have no clue where I am going to get that. I am going through a divorce, and put myself through a vocational school graduating top of my class, but I still am getting my foot in the door at my new job! I can't sleep, I am a nervous wreck, and I am so Mad!!! When I first got the car it was one of the highest mini-vans for safety, yeah cuz they are never on the road, always broke in a garage!!! To all of the people out there that agree, LETS NEVER BUY FORD AGAIN!!!