2000 Ford Windstar LX 3.8 from North America

Summary:

Nice car, bad paint

The paint is peeling on the hood around the roof; makes me mad, looks like poor paint quality.

General Comments:

Generally a good car.

Review Date: 8th September, 2012

2000 Ford Windstar from North America

Summary:

Too many complaints on it

Just recently purchased this vehicle from Florida, and already have problems with 28000 miles. Had fuel pump replaced before buying it, and now the fuel pump won't kick on, so I have a car that won't start. Have checked all fuses on it, and they are all OK. Guess it's off to the Ford dealer.

Review Date: 2nd January, 2011

2000 Ford Windstar LX from North America

Summary:

Worst van I've ever owned, but you all know that

Brake lights would not turn off... battery kept dying.

Broke down on us 1 week after purchase while on vacation. Ford dealer in North Carolina gave it back to us after having it for 7 days. It made it home, but was not repaired correctly. Had to repair back in Pittsburgh.

The heater broke.

The rear axle cracked in half just after getting off 79 going 65 with a van full of kids. The tow truck driver could not believe my luck. He said we all could have been killed.

The check engine light is always on. Every inspection is an ordeal getting them to stay off. Of course I don't go to Ford. My mechanic is honest.

The fuel system went.

The speedometer and cruise control broke.

And now the OD light keeps coming on, as it drains tranny fluid if I take it on the highway.

General Comments:

Ford should be ashamed.

Review Date: 7th August, 2010

2000 Ford Windstar LX from North America

Summary:

Don't buy

The car was running just fine. I had it serviced two weeks ago. I was on the freeway. It started to lose power. I pulled over. It was overheating. I had to have it towed. The shop says to throw it away. The engine is gone.

It was 2000 Windstar with about 120,000 miles. I had it 1 1/2 years.

General Comments:

Besides that, it had the same problems as I read other people had; being possessed with the lights going crazy etc.

Review Date: 30th June, 2010

1st Jul 2010, 11:08

I had a 2003 Windstar that suffered from electrical problems as well (interior lights going crazy? Yeah, that was me). My Windstar only made about 95,000 miles though, at which point the transmission failed. It wasn't worth replacing the trans, as the car had already cost me nearly half what I originally paid for it to keep it running.

2nd Jul 2010, 09:16

2nd Jul 2010, 16:28

"Really, when the engine fails throw the car away? I'd get a used engine installed."

A Ford Windstar isn't worth replacing an engine in.

2000 Ford Windstar SE 3.8L from North America

Summary:

Stellar

Only regular maintenance items have been changed.

General Comments:

I see all the negative remarks regarding this van, and I feel compelled to respond.

I purchased my Windstar new off the lot back in 2000 when my wife was pregnant with our first of two children. The van has been an absolute warrior for us. Gone everywhere, done everything. I have been good with the maintenance, and taken care of something that cost me a pretty penny back in the day. Over 180k miles and counting; I dread the day I have to retire the Windstar and look for something new.

Take all reviews with a grain of salt... In 2000 Ford sold over 175k of these vans and 35 were deemed by reviewers to be "problematic".. Stay on top of servicing the vehicle, and if buying used, try and research that particular vehicles history as thoroughly as possible... Good Luck!!!

Review Date: 25th April, 2010

25th Apr 2010, 10:22

I'm glad to hear you had good luck with your Windstar, however, I must respectfully disagree with your opinion of this being a good car.

Just based on the reviews from this very site, you can tell that this is not a quality vehicle. My own experience tells me that this is not a quality vehicle. My 2003 Windstar was nothing but problems, costing me over $6,000 in repairs for the 3 years that I owned it. These repairs included: A starter, an alternator, the upper intake manifold, and another alternator AND another starter. It was always having electrical problems (the interior lights had a mind of their own, and the gauge cluster worked periodically).

I tried many different Ford dealerships and was treated poorly by all of them. Towards the end, it needed a new transmission, however I managed to limp it along for another 3,000 miles or so by shifting manually through the gears (it just wouldn't shift automatically anymore, and it slammed into 4th gear after screaming at 5,000 RPMS. I couldn't shift manually into that gear unfortunately.)

I was going to get the transmission replaced, however, the final straw came at around 98K miles, when the multi-function switch failed and caused my windshield wipers to run all the time. Ford wanted $1800 to replace it. I refused to pay so much for such a simple part and replacement. The dealership then began talking about me buying a new car! I told them I would not be buying a Ford ever again.

I got into my Windstar and limped it a mile down the road to the Honda dealership. Bought a CR-V, and with over 50K on the clock, haven't had a single issue. In fact, just a few months after my purchase of the CR-V, I found out there was an open recall for many Ford vehicles including the Windstar for a faulty cruise control switch, which could overheat and ignite the brake fluid in the reservoir, causing the vehicle to CATCH ON FIRE, and that this could happen hours after driving the vehicle. I'm glad I got rid of that van before it hurt or killed somebody or burned my house down.

By the way, I'm also interested in how you managed to get a 4.0L engine in a Windstar, as it was only offered with a 3.8L V6.