2000 Ford Windstar Reviews - Page 5 of 17

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 3.8 from North America

Model year2000
Previous carFord Aerostar

Summary:

Excellent

No problems at all; love the room and reliability.

General Comments:

We love the van.

Change tranny fluid every 2 years and you won't have any problems.

Review Date: 5th March, 2008

2000 Ford Windstar from North America

Year of manufacture2000

Summary:

Total garbage

I had a 1995 Windstar that I bought new, and was generally happy with. I put plugs, wires, a few other things in at about 145,000 miles, and at 150,000 decided to drive it to 200,000. I totaled it at 168,000 and was really mad at myself.

I bought a used 2000 Windstar. What a piece of garbage! It is a totally cheapened version of the 1995, and I could go to great lengths to tell you why I say this (little things like our bike rack, which worked fine on the 95 caving in the rear hatch, cigarette lighter falling out of the dash, etc. Two transmissions at about 110,000 miles. Now the speedometer and ABS.)

I will never, ever buy their junk again!!

Review Date: 3rd March, 2008

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 3.8 gas from North America

Model year2000
Engine and transmission 3.8 gas Automatic
Distance when acquired82000 miles
Most recent distance132000 miles
Previous carFord Windstar

Summary:

Solid, ballsy, comfortable, reliable. Love it

Replaced the brakes, a ball joint and trans flush.

General Comments:

I read these other reviews, and what are people talking about?

This is our fourth Ford Windstar, they are reliable, comfortable, powerful. We live in the Midwest and tons of salt on the road. No rust, at all! I have no complaints.

I finally replaced the plugs and wires at 126,000, it didn't even need them.

I had the transmission fluid flushed, and replaced a lower ball joint on one side.

We tow a boat weighs 3500 pounds, don't even have a towing package, I just put a Uhaul hitch on it, no prob. Tows the boat, 7 people, with dual air conditioning running at summer temperatures outside at 70 mph, with no problem, and I mean no problems. 132,000 miles on it!

There must be a lot of bias in these reviews, because like I said we have had three other Windstars and they are great. My wife cried, yes, cried and wouldn't talk to me after our lease was up on the last one, so we got another one. Bought it used, it has been great.

I looked at the Japanese vans, did not like the styling, not many options, pretty cooky cutter. Ford gives you lots for the buck. Only complaint at all, want 45 mpg, then it would be perfect. We got away from the vans for one year, with a family, it is the only way to go, room for all, and their stuff. Awesome on vacations.

Ken, OH

Review Date: 24th May, 2007

6th Mar 2008, 17:01

Indeed you hit on a point. Many negative reports have a bias against Ford or American manufacturers. Where is that negative bias coming from?

Maybe a bunch of owners overspent to begin with, now they are upside down with their loans (owing more than the vehicle is worth) and feel trapped.

I believe this and similar sites attract more people with complaints than people who are happy. Then, some cars may attract enthusiast who are likely in love with their ride, so you find more positive reports whereas other vehicles attract cost conscious if not penny-pinching folks, who abhor of any expense related to their vehicles.

I see many well aged Ford Windstars on the road and I think they cannot be as bad as you might think after reading the blue-faced reports.

I bought my '03 used, it's above 90K miles and made no trouble. There were distractions, but nothing that I couldn't take care of myself.

8th Aug 2008, 15:06

I have a 2000 and although its not perfect, I have encountered none of the issues the negative reviewers have. Ours is a low mileage van, 8 years old only 56,000 miles. The mass air flow sensor went. Other than that its been great. My 3 young kids are not very nice to the interior, but the leather holds up well. I had the trans serviced this year before we drove it on vacation, preventative maint. I keep the oil changed myself, but other than that, we don't "baby" this thing. When its time to replace, we will probably look for a Freestar since this has been a very reliable family truckster!

27th Oct 2009, 01:14

I would say that most of the complaints about the Windstar come after the small parts fail, like a window or two. Or perhaps it's when the transmission goes. When you read the other reviews, it's not usually someone trying to sell you a sob story. It's their experience with said vehicle. That is what this site is about, sharing experience. It's good that some people got good Windstars, because, looking at the other reviews, you're in the minority.

5th Jan 2010, 20:44

I have a 2000 Ford Windstar SEL. Besides the struts and the shocks being replaced, this is a very reliable van, and I live in the state with the worst roads (NY CITY). If it can hold up here, it can hold up anywhere.

I love my Windstar. I have only had it a short while, but I have no signs of mechanical break downs as of yet, but when I do, I will update my post.