2001 Ford Windstar SEL from North America

Summary:

Poor quality

There is probably not enough room in this comment area to report all of the issues I have had with a Windstar, not once, but shame on me... twice.

I purchased a 1995 Windstar new in 95. Within 3 months the head gaskets blew. With two young children in car seats, this was devastating. Ford refused to pay for the repair initially so we did this (not cheap for a young family). After making several calls and complaints, they said this was a unique issue and they were not at fault. Several months after this, there was an article in the local newspaper stating that so many people had complained of this issue that Ford was consenting to pay for the repairs... really dishonest. I genuinely liked the van though until it started having multiple electrical system issues.

The coolant began seriously leaking. Ford of course said that there was not an issue each time I took it for repairs or complained.

When it was time to purchase a second car a while later (had one in between), I thought what the heck... they must have worked out the kinks by now, so I purchased a used 2001 Windstar SEL with 36000 miles.

Once again the electrical system is erratic, the engine/exhaust light has been on for years now, the transmission has failed, the doors open and close and to put the final nail in the coffin, the paint has bubbled and peeled of the hood and roof channel. I was told that even though this is a manufacturer defect in the primer (it was baked on hard and the paint didn't adhere properly, they won't cover it because I bought it used? Huh??? Can you say customer service and return business? I guess not. I will never purchase another Ford vehicle.

General Comments:

Ford has such poor customer service, regardless of the product, that even if I loved the vehicle, I would not purchase a product that the manufacturer will not stand behind!

Review Date: 27th October, 2009

2001 Ford Windstar from North America

Summary:

An OK buy, I hesitantly recommend it

Lights on the dashboard remained on. Example: Brake light and ABS light was on even though the E. Brake wasn't on. Dealer couldn't fix it.

A/C failed at 90,000 miles. Had it fixed, broke again. Apparently it is a common problem on Windstars.

Used oil very quickly.

Passenger door would not unlock. Driver would have to reach over to pull on the handle to unlock it.

Was in a crash, good on safety even though the van was totaled.

With all the bad, it was very reliable.

General Comments:

Comfortable. Overall a nice vehicle.

If you don't mind no A/C, it's not bad.

Review Date: 14th September, 2009

2001 Ford Windstar LX 3.8L V6 from North America

Summary:

F.O.R.D - Fix Or Repair Daily

It never stopped making a "pinging" noise from the engine. Tried everything, higher octane fuel, fuel additives. Nothing worked.

General Comments:

I bought this car because my grandkids were coming to live with me and I needed a bigger car. I bought a Ford because my P.O.S Lumina died at 80,000 miles (never buying GM again) and I decided to give Ford a try. Big mistake.

It never broke down on me, but the loud "pinging" noise was a constant annoyance and it eventually started to do damage to the engine itself. Brought it to the dealership multiple times and they could never figure it out. I sold it so soon because I didn't want to deal with the engine dieing. Then made the mistake of buying another that gave me even more problems. Sold that one and bought myself a Honda. So glad I did.

Review Date: 31st July, 2009

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4.0L from North America

Summary:

Money pit lemon with unrecalled issues

Transmission sun gear fried at 98,000 km.

Steering rack toast at 98,000 km.

Alternator died at 60,000 km.

General Comments:

Ford should be ashamed. This van was serviced regularly and driven like a baby. No other reason for the transmission to fail at 98,000 km other than a manufacturers problem that Ford knows about but refuses to acknowledge and will not recall (sun gear). No warranty on the transmission and it cost $3,800.00 to fix.

When we got it back, they said the steering rack was also finished and would be a minimum of $600.00 to fix, but more likely around $1,200.00. Couldn't get rid of this thing fast enough.

This van replaced our old Chevy Astro, which we drove for 15 years to 348,000 km with very few issues. That little Astro is still going strong today 5 years later. Tempted to buy the Astro back, but the new owner won't sell it.

Review Date: 30th March, 2009