2001 Ford Windstar SEL V6 from North America

Summary:

Absolutely AWFUL

Simply: Just about everything has gone wrong with this vehicle.

The following is just a brief summary of what has gone wrong with this vehicle:

- Transmission failed at 96K.

- Engine intake manifold bolts had to be replaced (manufacturer defect).

- Rear axle cracked (major manufacturer defect - Search YouTube for details).

- Front subframe rusted and cracked (major manufacturer defect - Search YouTube). Ford bought these subframes from China and they were manufactured with cheap steel.

Worst vehicle I have ever purchased!

Ford has lost me as a customer!

General Comments:

Worst vehicle I have ever purchased!

Ford has lost me as a customer!

Review Date: 21st July, 2018

24th Jul 2018, 04:23

It's a 17 year old Ford...

2001 Ford Windstar LX 3.8 from North America

Summary:

Satisfied

When hot outside, and going over bumps, the door lock sensors go on and off. Also the ABS and brake idiot lights do the same at high outdoor temps outside.

Tire sensor light stays on constantly.

Rear windows don't work, but not a problem.

General Comments:

To have 236k miles and minimal problems, I feel lucky. Keep up with maintaining your vehicle!

Review Date: 20th August, 2014

2001 Ford Windstar SEL 3.8L V6 from North America

Summary:

This car is a totally unreliable piece of junk

My starter went bad at 106,000 miles.

My alternator went bad at 108,000 miles.

Oil has been disappearing since 105,000 miles. Mechanic can't find a leak, and it doesn't appear to be burning oil.

Power sliding doors only work approximately 50% of the time.

Van died while driving at 120,000 miles. First mechanic couldn't find anything wrong with it. I picked it up, drove 20 miles before it died at highway speed. Had it towed home. Drove it to my mechanic a few days later, and it has been there for the past 2 weeks. No one can figure out what is wrong.

General Comments:

I have owned this car for 8 months, of which, 4 months it has been undriveable.

The interior is very nice and comfortable.

Van gets decent gas mileage (when it runs). About 21-22 highway, 19 in town.

Review Date: 21st August, 2011

30th Oct 2011, 07:07

I have a 2001 Ford Windstar GL. I bought it at 90,000 miles from a man who looked after the van, serviced it correctly etc.

I maintain my van, I pay attention to potential problems... like replacing transmissions.. I change the transmission fluid every 20,000 miles etc. I now have 220,000 miles on the van without major problems and it runs great.. Why? I change the plugs, the filters, and don't drive it like a maniac... spend the money on routine maintenance.

Don't buy a used car if you do not know the repair history.. read reviews; the 2001 was a lot better Windstar than the previous years.

I live in a Southern State, so the body of the van is perfect. When it comes time to replace the motor and transmission, I will replace them... I know the van... and it is cheaper than buying a new one.

2001 Ford Windstar 2.3 from North America

Summary:

A great comfortable safe mini van

Transmission, brakes, bearings. That is about it aside from preventive and routine.

General Comments:

This was my second Windstar. I bought out the three year lease at 68,000 rather than pay the mileage overage.

The vehicle up to about 110,000 ran trouble free outside of routine maintenance. Then, the transmission was replaced at the cost of $3000.

Even with that, the vehicle costs about 500-800 per year in repair bills over and above routine. We love this car. It now has a cracked rear axle that I will not replace, so I am selling it accordingly for $500.00.

I must say, overall, the car is just great in every respect. Again ran well for 180,000 miles. Wish Ford still made a mini-van! We loved the car and have had a great time with the kids on all sorts of trips and adventurers. I have been through some very bad snow storms with this car and it handled like a dream.

I arrive relaxed and in good spirit as the vehicle is very comfortable. I was commuting between Philadelphia, Newport RI and Annapolis Maryland quite a bit in this car, so most of the miles are highway.

I am now looking to buy a 2005 or later Freestar Ltd. If I was able, I would indeed be purchasing a 2008 or 2009 Town & Country Ltd.

Review Date: 29th October, 2009

21st Jul 2018, 15:31

READ THE RECALL INFO: All 2001-2003 Ford Windstars have MAJOR subframe failure issues where people have been severally injured and killed! These Windstars are death traps!