2001 Ford Windstar LX 3.8 from North America

Summary:

Buyer beware, do not buy this vehicle

Our tape player has never worked.

The tires have had to be replaced three times already.

Today our transmission quit on us while my husband was driving the car with our three children inside.

There is a rattling sound in the air conditioner vents while driving at speeds over 60 mph.

General Comments:

This van is leased, but of course, not covered on an extended warranty. We knew that we would only have it for 3 years, and didn't feel the need to purchase an extended warranty. Unfortunately that will prove to be a huge mistake. We are currently in the process of trying to fight Ford to force them to cover the cost of the repair, or we will return it next month when our lease expires without repairing anything.

Review Date: 16th August, 2004

2001 Ford Windstar LX 3 from North America

Summary:

Avoid this minivan-no wonder Ford Free Stars have such high rebates on a new vehicle

Three recalls in three years

Loose and ill fitting interior parts; creaks, rattles and rumbles since new

Transmission failed at 38,000 miles - (complaints to dealer during warranty period about clunking and hard shifting had been greeted with "can't find anything wrong" after inspection and test drive) $2200 cost to repair - Dealer and Ford shrugged it off and asked if I bought the extended warranty.

Now have a leak somewhere near engine plenum; front suspension getting mushy (3 years of mostly high speed highway driving) - could be struts wearing out (rather soon)

General Comments:

Low initial price, good rebate at purchase in 2001 - however, poor reliability and many repairs combined with a very low resale value make for very expensive ownership.

Review Date: 21st April, 2004

24th May 2007, 04:57

I agree, Our family 2001 windstar ran good until 74,000 miles and now idles rough, and seems to miss a cylinder or so. Have tuned it up and changed the oil every 3000. The arm rest has fallen off and the seats are very uncomfortable. I will not buy a Ford again. My Father worked for Ford for years and we all owned Fords, but now we all are looking at other imports because of the consumer ratings. My villager had its Transmission replaced after 80,000 miles.

24th May 2007, 09:23

What an informed comment. "Rough idle!- Ford cars are no good!" Try the following: replace spark plugs, wires and maybe the ignition coil pack. You should have done that about 10,000 miles ago. Replace fuel filter, air filter and PCV valve. Add Lucas Oil Fuel Treatment or similar to your gasoline for a tank or two.

"And my Villager is no good either!" except that it is a Nissan Quest with Mercury Villager badges.

2001 Ford Windstar LX 3.8 Liter V6 from North America

Summary:

A pleasant surprise wrapped in a Ford package

Nothing.

General Comments:

My family was growing, so it was time to take the plunge into the minivan market. My wife and I did all our homework, read the reviews, and went to dozens of used car dealers to find the mini van that would meet all our needs.

Lo and behold, we found the Ford Windstar! I didn't want a minivan, much less a Ford (I always thought they were ugly, but it's grown on me), and we have always been partial to imports. Honda's and Toyta's were too expensive, and KIA's were nearly impossible to find. The Windstar had all the features we wanted, safety being the biggest concern, and all the power we could ask for. We have had no problems with this vehicle, nor did the previous owners. It was kept in tip-top shape with regular maintenance and runs like a top! It has TONS of room, and some conveniences that make it a joy to drive.

Though the engine is a little loud during take-off, it's acceptable. We knew of this drawback when making the purchase.

The suspension is a little bouncy, which is typical of Fords, but again, being the informed shoppers we aspire to be, my wife and I were aware of this possibility when we considered this van.

All in all, the pro's far outweigh the con's. We couldn't ask for a better vehicle (except maybe one with a DVD player!).

Review Date: 29th January, 2004

26th Jul 2004, 00:25

I also purchased my first Ford vehicle which was Ford Windstar 2001 in July of 2002 and fell in love with it immediately. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned and definitely looking forward to purchase a Freestar when I need to replace my Windstar.

I have taken 3 long vacations and have driven across several states without any problem. Very comfortable ride, plenty of room, good gas mileage, powerful engine, adjustable pedal, and many more features have made this vehicle very special to my family.