2001 Ford Windstar LX 3.8 from North America

Summary:

TOTAL piece of Junk

Tie rod ends gone bad, the door locks seem to have a mind of their own - locking at random and never when we want them to-some locks don't work at all,drivers window won't roll down at all, Engine has been losing water since we've owned it and now the engine is starting to knock. I Maintain my vehicles flawlessly - with the utmost attention.

General Comments:

This van is a horribble horrible piece of junk that I wish I had never laid eyes on - I hate that we spent all of our money on this piece of junk - can't trust it at all, now we don't know what to do beings we have 6 kids!!! Thanks a lot Ford - I'll never buy another Ford ever again. My family will take immense pleasure the day Ford falls flat on its face and goes bankrupt because of their mega-substandard junk they call vehicles -

Review Date: 9th October, 2007

10th Oct 2007, 11:06

I am sorry you feel that way. On the other hand I don't think that your feelings are quite realistic. I. e. you say that you maintain your vehicles meticulously. However, you bought this vehicle with 80,000 miles on it and drove it 10,000 miles more. I suppose the previous owner's attitude towards maintenance is affecting the car more than yours. Properly maintained most Windstars are o.k. Not fantastic, just o.k.

2001 Ford Windstar LX 3.8 from North America

Summary:

Great family van

Battery replaced under warranty. That's it.

General Comments:

Follow the recommended scheduled maint, I have had no problems with this van it's great.

Review Date: 25th October, 2005

15th Jul 2009, 01:12

Update on original post. The van now has 130,000km, replaced front brake pads, rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders. Plugs, airfilter etc. Still going strong on the original engine, transmission, starter, alt, PS pump, rack, fuel pump.. you name it it still works. This van gets used everyday from taking the kids to school to 3000km trips to Fort Nelson and the Cariboo she keeps on tickin. CHANGE the fluids people!!! oil& filter, transmission fluid& filter, fuel filter, brake fluid and power steering flush, coolant. 8 years and 130,000 km or worry free driving.

2001 Ford Windstar LX from North America

Summary:

Death Trap

The Power door locks have failed on three separate occasions in this vehicle.

General Comments:

Each time a different door was affected.

I was unable to unlock the door using the power controls, from the remote on my key chain, or manually by pulling the locks up. Due to the design of the lock, it is impossible to grip the lock and pull it up into the unlock position.

Also, due to the child locks being in the on position, to prevent the children from opening door, I was also unable to gain access to my children except from the front of the vehicle.

My safety concern is that I would not have quick access to my children, who are in car seats, in the event of an emergency.

Although, this type of failure has occurred twice before and the Actuator was replaced, the third time is no longer covered under warranty and I am responsible financially per Ford Customer Service.

Review Date: 27th April, 2005

26th Aug 2005, 10:04

If it has taken place within 1 year of its last failure it is still covered under the previous payments. It is guaranteed for one year of repair date without having to pay the deductible...

I have had and still have the same issues along with other electronic problems with my windows, door locks and alarms.

26th Jun 2008, 20:08

About the problems with the door.

Spray some WD-40 on the latch, hinges and rollers. It does miracles.

2001 Ford Windstar SEL from North America

Summary:

The best automobile I ever owned!

My current 2001 Ford Windstar SEL only had two problems. The first one was the two front struts cracked and need to be replaced, but that was all covered by the warranty. The second problem was the two rear shocks broke, but yet again, my warranty covered that.

General Comments:

What can't I say about this car, I love it. I have four kids and they all love it. We have an entertainment center that was just a VHS player, but we modified to play DVD's also. The two captain chairs in the center row are so comfortable you can fall asleep in them. The dual rear doors that are automatic make live so much easier. The best part of them is that one of my children have their hands outside the doors while their closing, the sensors turn on and quikly stops the movement. the ride is so comfortable. If your ever going to buy a used minivan I strongly suggest you buy a Windstar.

Review Date: 27th February, 2005

11th Oct 2006, 15:00

Could you please explain how you modified the entertainment system to play DVD? I would like to have this option for our van as well. Thanks.

19th Feb 2009, 16:40

I would be most appreciative to know how you converted the VHS player to a DVD player. Our VHS player is broken and we can't get parts for it, so if we could get the DVD player to replace it, we would be so grateful. We also love our 2001 Ford Windstar, it is the greatest vehicle we have ever owned. We checked recently to buy a new one and were so disappointed to learn they are no longer being made.

Thank you for any information you can provide regarding the replacement of our VHS player. ejyost@msn.com.

23rd Feb 2009, 13:47

I don't know how to "convert" the system to play DVD, but you can plug a portable DVD player into the auxiliary input.

12th Mar 2009, 18:29

We also own a 2002 Ford Windstar and absolutely love it. We too are very sorry to see that Ford no longer makes this vehicle. We have 135,000 miles on ours and it is still going strong. My husband is going for 250,000. Looks like a brand new vehicle. Of course, my husband is a fanatic about his cars. The key to keeping them running is to change the transmission oil every 35,000 miles.

darlene@bright.net

6th Sep 2010, 19:46

We also have a 2001 Ford Windstar SE that has about 130,000 miles on it, and it's still going strong. If we could change one thing it would be the VHS player to a DVD player. Can anyone out there tell us how to do that?

We contacted Ford and they don't make DVD players for vans made in that year. If anyone can give us some suggestions, we'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

My email address is debbc16@verizon.net.