1990 Honda Accord Reviews - Page 2 of 16

Year of manufacture1990
First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 2.0 F20A Automatic
Previous carSubaru Loyale

Summary:

Cheap, reliable car

Expensive upper ball joint (Mugen part).

Power steering leaking a little (not fixed yet).

General Comments:

Very solid & reliable car, decent acceleration, good fuel consumption.

Bought the car from an import dealer in Canada, who used it as their personal vehicle, took good care of it (regular services).

Interior condition excellent, has a few scuffs on the bumpers, but mechanically sound.

Had the car for 12 months now, spent $700-800 in repairs and services.

The trunk has leak somewhere (weird).

Overall, a very good car.

Review Date: 27th October, 2010

1990 Honda Accord EXR from North America

Year of manufacture1989
First year of ownership1989
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

I love my Honda

Alternator.

Brakes.

General Comments:

My 1990 Honda Accord EXR has been the most incredible car. I would never part with this gem.

All the service records from when my late husband first bought it in December 1989 until the present, I keep in a file.

Honda cars, especially for a woman, are so dependable. Reliability in a car is so important, for women who, like myself, have little aptitude for mechanics. The Service Manager at my Honda dealership never recommended service work that wasn’t warranted.

When I moved away from the city where my car was bought and had to go to another Honda dealership for a repair, they said that I needed extra work done. Feeling a little skeptical about this, I called my hometown Honda dealership and asked if the said repairs were warranted. He replied that these repairs had already been made. It is so good to be able to trust.

One day I thought that I might buy a new one Honda, but “I love my Honda”. It has given no trouble other than the normal things that happen to a vehicle. So why do I need a new one? The car looks new, especially when washed. Throughout the twenty years I have driven my car, any rust spots have been repaired by my favourite auto body man. The car has been Oil Garded every year and the staff there told me the car is in better shape than newer models, and they never drill holes. How good is that!

A few years ago when I pulled into a parking lot, a man followed me in to the lot and asked me if I would be willing to sell my car. He said he was looking for a 1990 Honda like mine and commented that it was in such good shape. I was very proud that I had taken good care of my vehicle.

Last year while washing my car in the driveway, a man stopped his vehicle at the end of my driveway and again a comment was made “is your car ever in good shape”. Another proud moment!

My car has just turned over 283,283 km and will probably make it to 400,000 km as many Hondas do. The car seat upholstery is still in excellent colour and shape.

Review Date: 5th August, 2010

1990 Honda Accord LX 2.2 liter petrol from North America

Year of manufacture1990
First year of ownership1990
Engine and transmission 2.2 liter petrol Automatic
Previous carToyota Camry

Summary:

You buy a Honda for the engine.. everything else comes 2nd

Driver side visor was missing when I bought the car.

Passenger side seat belt connect button takes a lil wiggling to get it out.

Every single time it rains, when I open the trunk it leaks rain into the trunk from both sides.

Inside door handles and molding around it is admittedly a lil cheap.

The cloth interior around the door pulls could have been glued or applied to the doors better... but the car is 20 years old, so I can't say how the car was treated through its life.

Car has a reported 3 official wrecks in its lifetime according to Car Fax.

The most major repair according to my records I have when I bought the car was an alternator at about 243,000 miles... I also have repair receipts of a new radiator at 222,000... wheel bearing at 228,000.. and new shocks at about 175,000 miles...

The car now leaks out antifreeze... I put in a bottle of Stop Leak; it worked for about a year.. slowing the process down... but now it's a lot worse... I'm pretty sure it needs a water pump and timing belt... no record of due 75k change... so it's no surprise...

Car is now due for a front right CV joint, which I paid about 65 bucks for...

I paid 700 bucks for this vehicle.

I have few complaints about the reliability of this car.

The automatic seat belts are beyond stupid, and feel less secure and safe than manual seat belts... the government made a extremely stupid decision by forcing car companies to put them in for those years...

The car is fun to drive for a 4 cylinder.. it feels very solid... light on its feet... everything in the car feels responsive from the steering to the gas input... I will say it could take a tip or two from Toyota and put in a smoother shifting auto trans... Honda put in a "sporty" feeling auto trans for this Accord's year... it's fine most the time... but in stop and go traffic... the 1st to 2nd can be a lil jumpy feeling... not good when you're hung over and don't like to move back and forth LOL.

Car could benefit from about 2 more inches of width and length. Head room is fine back and front.

General Comments:

Dash board is logically laid out, and everything is easily accessible.

CD player slot needs to be raised higher for easier access.

Great visibility all around through glass.

Handles really good on snow rain pretty much anything... it's front wheel drive giving you piece of mind... rear wheel drive is such a headache in anything except smooth dry pavement.

The cloth used is extremely durable and comfy... 20 years... and the car seats have little to no wear at all.

The carpet used inside is kinda "thick" like some sort of 70's shag carpet... I seriously love it!

The engine is a lil loud after 30mph... but calms down once you get on the interstate at around 65-75.

Has the usual Honda cancer... rust on wheel wells.

I can easily see why the Accord is one of the best and top rated family cars; it's built great, feels solid after 20 years... and still goes down the road with little fuss...

Keep on with its scheduled maintenance and there is a good chance the Accord will not let you down.

If I were to recommend this car... I would honestly say unless you can get one for DIRT cheap... like 800 or less... the newer model 94+ are much more refined cars.. and you would only pay around 1,000 more... it's worth it... but if you can find a good example of a 90-93... especially the EX version... you'll be getting a great car and a steal of a price...

EX's come with leather seats, Bose speakers, loaded power everything... moonroof... cruise control... dual air bags... oh and Honda... relocated the beverage holder to a much more superior spot... the 90/93 has the beverage holder in a usable but stupid spot.

Top pros:

1. Reliability.

2. Value for the money.

3. Gas mileage.

4. Great interiors and long lasting accessories life.

5. Suspension.

Improvements needed:

1. Cup holder placement.

2. Needs about 2 inches more width and length.

3. Use more insulation under the hood.

4. More padding on the inside arm pulls.

5. Find a way to prevent water from entering the trunk after you open it... very annoying when you have groceries or electronics in it.

6. Should of used a proper center console in the middle rather than an arm chair rest.

7. Smoother shifting auto trans from 1st to 2nd.

8. The Accord, Integra, Vigor, Legend... they all look too similar... should have further differentiated the exterior looks.

Bottom line - few cars are built to last like an accord... especially for the money.

I'd rather push a Honda then drive American or German.

Americans are built like crap, drive like crap, and the interiors are extremely bargain bin... and barely a step above in reliability... if at all.. compared to German cars.

Germans are unreliable and cost you out the ass in repairs; far too much... fun cars... but not fun on the side of the highway broke down.

Review Date: 30th April, 2010

4th Jun 2010, 23:53

Excellent review, written like a pro. Many if the issues brought up parallel those in my '89 Accord (previous gen bodystyle with the flip-out headlights but basically same chassis). Including the water running into the trunk when opened, there's no gutter system like most cars.. a very poor design flaw on an otherwise VERY well thought-out car (the rainwater ruined my expensive subwoofer amp)..

Other than that, these cars are built like tanks and will easily go up to 400k miles on original running gear (just keep that timing belt fresh).