2000 Honda Civic Limited Edition Tropica 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Nice

Watch out for all the locks, doors and ignition. They normally stick. I replaced mine with new parts and keys (€500); quite expensive for a €1500 car, but it's worth it.

Uses too much petrol for a 1.4 car, but if you push it, it goes.

General Comments:

Perfect, smooth, and no noises coming from the dashboard or body.

Review Date: 6th April, 2013

2000 Honda Civic SE Coupe 1.6 Non-VTEC from North America

Summary:

Bulletproof simplicity, just don't ask for more

The vehicle began sitting lower on the driver's side as the mileage approached 180,000 km. This has, however, happened on my Subaru as well, so I'm considering it wear.

Clutch slave cylinder gave out at 170,000, and the car was unable to shift. Scrapyard parts and a weekend in the garage cost me under $100 to fix (very easy to fix nearly anything with this car).

General Comments:

This car was handed down to me from my parents about two years ago, and for its entire life, has been indestructible. As a COMMUTER car, this did the trick for short hops to and from school and around town. Despite suggestions from friends, I refused to modify it in any way. This is a 96 HP transporter, not a 500 HP racer.

With less electronics clouding the car, it really did feel like a little go-kart. Handling was precise, quick, and easy. Ride quality was average, not too bumpy. The little 1.6L (non-VTEC) engine was peppy enough, though you could hear it struggle on the highway. Wind noise was rampant, and crosswinds were scary.

The seats are firm, yet surprisingly comfortable. That said, the seats will get uncomfortable for extended trips of half an hour or more, and the cabin is pretty bare. Despite the cheap looking plastic, there are no rattles or easily broken pieces. Everything (mechanical and cosmetic) holds just as strong as the day you bought it. With simple routine maintenance, this car can run virtually glitch-free for life.

Fuel economy is very good, with roughly 35 MPG city even under spirited driving conditions.

Rear passenger access is rather annoying. The trunk space and opening are adequate, but too small for my specific needs at the time (lacrosse gear and a tuba; gear was difficult to fit and tuba would not fit in car at all). So, I traded it for a Subaru Outback wagon. In retrospect, this little machine was far better than the wagon in almost all respects (feels just as powerful, fewer mechanical problems, easier servicing), and would definitely buy again (or a Honda Fit) if and when personal circumstances change.

Review Date: 3rd January, 2011

2000 Honda Civic EX 1.8 from North America

Summary:

This is a very economical car that is cheap to drive and fun

Windshield wiper motor not working during delay feature.

Trunk leak.

General Comments:

Very good car, good on gas and reliable. Starts every time, and gas mileage is over 30 mpg with just normal around town driving.

Review Date: 14th February, 2010

2000 Honda Civic VTi Aerodeck 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Bullet proof noisy performance family estate

Nothing as yet.

General Comments:

Prior to owning this car, I had a Honda Accord 2.4 Type S or CL9 version of the Accord, and to be honest it pained me to sell it and buy the vehicle that you are reading about.

In short, the Accord was a great car, totally reliable - the only thing I had to replace in two years of ownership were the 2 front tyres. I can go on about this car, but I won't as I'm writing about my current vehicle; the Civic Aerodeck.

I had low expectations of this car, it looks like an OLD car and probably drove like a trolley. The only things that made me buy it was the engine and 'promised' reliability.

In all honesty, this car has been fabulous and has far exceeded my expectations. The engine is an awesome piece of engineering, nippy enough to 4 thousand rpm, starts singing to 6 thousand rpm, and then growls and goes mental all the way to 8400. Very quick car for what it is, BUT the downsides are the noise gets really tiring on the motorway; I mean at 70mph, the engine is revving at 4 thousand revs in fifth, and also the fuel economy overall is average, but absolute pants if you want to hear it growl. I suppose you can't have it all, and if you like the performance, it's a fair trade off.

The ride is smooth, and it soaks up bumps well. The handling is great at the front as you can really feel the limited slip differential grip, and the great thing is that the more you gun the throttle, the more it sticks. However, the rear of the car just does not want to follow, and to be honest the car does wallow a bit. This can be cured however by installing a rear anti roll bar, as is posted by many owners on forums, and apparently dramatically improves the rear end. I will look into this.

Interior is comfortable (apart from the wind/engine noise on the motorway). I recently drove a 400 mile round trip and suffered no back pain. Also, as this is an estate car, it has a great sized boot.

Overall I'd recommend this car if you have a small family and appreciate fine engineering and performance for a reasonable price. A word of warning though, check out insurance quotes before you buy as this is a group 15 car.

Review Date: 5th October, 2009