2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0 Straight 6 from North America

Summary:

Small problems

The lights will turn on when car is off and headlight switch is in auto. It caused my battery to go dead overnight shortly after I bought it. When the battery was dead, when I would try to start the car all of the gages move to full/max and the back. I guess this is the way it says that the battery is dead. I have never seen this since then. Now I just manually turn my lights on and have not tried the auto lights in a few years.

I had a ground in the wiring harness for the trailer hitch at about 80000 miles. It caused my left turn signal to come on when I braked. I just changed out the wiring harness and it stopped.

The Front passenger window stopped rolling up around 70000 miles. The cheap piece of plastic in the regulator mechanism broke. I had to buy the entire unit which cost about $95. I thought this was a violation of common sense since the part that broke probably cost about 10 cents and if they had used a metal piece originally, it would have raised the price of the car by less than a dollar.

My oil pressure gauge became erratic at about 108000 miles. There was no engine noise and the oil level was correct so it was the oil pressure sensing unit. On the straight 6 it is on the right side about a foot aft of the oil filter. I paid about $45 for the part, but I had to buy a special socket to remove it for about $10. I haven't had any problems with it since then.

My driver door lock is starting to quack at me (109000 miles) and I just ordered the lock actuator and will put it in tomorrow. I set the car to unlock all of the locks when I hit the button, but now I am going to just open the driver door on the first click to save the rest of the locks from dying shortly.

General Comments:

I made it to 110k without having to leave it overnight at a repair shop.

I have meticulously taken care of the car and it has been good to me for the most part.

Everything that has happened I have been able to fix myself with a little research.

I'm still debating if I will by a GC again.

If only Jeep would put a little more common sense into design it would raise the price by a few dollars, but it would be an outstanding vehicle.

Review Date: 13th February, 2007

14th Feb 2007, 13:36

It's me again. I just finished installing the new door lock actuator. The part was $85 from the dealer. It only took me about a half hour to put it in just make sure that it isn't missing anything. There was screw missing on mine and I realized this after I had put the door back together and I couldn't open the door from the outside. I took the old actuator apart and I noticed that there were two small plastic gears that weren't meshing right. Both pieces come out easily and if you can find them somewhere it would cost you about $2 to fix this problem.

2nd Mar 2007, 05:52

I am new to jeep and about to buy a 2000 with 104k on it 4.7 v8 limited. It is in amazing shape. I have never seen a truck that is 7 yrs old and in this shape. Original owner, all records stapled and in a file for full viewing. The guy that owned it has been amazingly thorough.

Any thoughts on what I should have checked?

25th Oct 2007, 15:07

Be sure to have the engine checked for proper oil usage. I purchased a 2000 Grand Limited, with 135k miles, a little over 6 months ago and just recently had a bad case of clunking and rattling noises. Can't even drive- too loud and embarrasing!

It appears that the vehicle hadn't been getting current or proper oil changes in the past and this has lead to poor lubrication. So now my mechanic is suggesting I replace the entire engine (a $2k job). I'm really in need of a second opinion!!!

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee from North America

Summary:

I am upset with the suv

Had the car for about 2 1/2 weeks and have already brought 3 tires and need another one as we speak. I am going back to the place that I got it from and see if they gonna fix this so called alignment problem, put me in another car or give me my down payment back. I'm sticking with a chevy or ford next time.

General Comments:

Good Car.

Love the style of it.

But to expensive to fix.

Review Date: 12th February, 2007