2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Frustration

I too have had problems with my tail lights. I am considering taking this blog to the dealership and maybe they will put in a recall for it. This is the biggest blog on this problem that I have ever seen. In the meantime I am going to try the user from Jan. 2005 info until they can come up with a solution. I have also found lamp houses on E-bay and junk yards for around $60 but who knows how long those will last until they go out.

Review Date: 19th July, 2007

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado 4.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

Reliable and comfortable. will buy jeep again

The driver seat has started to make a clunking sound when I start and stop. also some squeaking sounds that seam to come from the springs.

The engine also makes a clunk sound when I start to accelerate.

The engine doesn't start up right away. I have to crank it for 2 seconds, turn the key to the off position and then turn it again. it starts right up. the battery and alternator passed the test. could it be the starter?

General Comments:

I have replaced all 4 automatic door locks and power window motors myself. I'm not going to pay the dealer $110 an hour to do it.

I have the brake light problem: when my driving lights are on the tail lights work fine. when I brake they shut off. I don't have that problem during the day when the driving lights are off.

I have a squeak when I turn the wheel, but the dealer has done all the test, including any hydraulic issues and can't find anything. any ideas on what this may be and if it's a do it yourself project?

The fan motor and the relay both failed at the same time. unfortunately I was on my way to Disney.

Review Date: 14th July, 2007

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 from North America

Summary:

Needed more recalls for it from the factory

My 2000 Grand Cherokee worries me as well. I love the look and it is very fun to drive.

At 60,000 miles the water pump went out, followed by both front tweeters and both window motors up front. The brakes shimmy when you come to a stop and replaced 2 times already and shimming again about 2 months after the last fix. At the present time at about 50-55 miles an hour the steering wheel shakes as if the tires are out of balance and I had them rebalanced 2 months ago and now it is back doing the same thing. At 71,000 miles one of the coil packs went out and that was 200.00.

Now at 80,000 miles the driver seat motor is going out and you have to purchase the whole bottom adjuster?. The door when opened makes a very loud popping sound where something is wore out already and I learned this was a common problem with Jeeps that costs 175.00 to fix and that was 1 year ago. I did learn with my Jeep to let it warm up a few minutes before you take off in it or the transmission will shift hard in the summer and winter. The rubber door seals on the top of both back doors do leak if you go through a car wash.

I would love to have a new Grand Cherokee, but this makes me want to go back to a Mitsubishi.

Review Date: 13th July, 2007

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee from North America

Summary:

Terrible vehicle, bad transmission and rotors

At about 70,000 miles the transmission went out. We bought a 3 year warranty. The dealer (Car-max) rebuilt the transmission improperly (used the wrong transfer case). They gave us the car back and it shifted very hard into third gear. We took it back, they attempted a second rebuild. The problem was worse. Took it back again and it was sent out to a transmission place and a new one was put it.

At 80,000 miles we had the front rotors and brake pads replaced with after market parts that have a lifetime warranty.

At 81,000 the driver side front power lock has gone out. (under warranty, but have yet to bring it in). The transmission fiasco took almost 2 months.

At 84,900 the car is now idling like it is starving for gas on start up. It has also become very slow on the uptake and feels like it is not getting enough gas to the engine. Might be a fuel pump problem, but I'm not sure. It's due to go back to Car-max tomorrow.

General Comments:

I would never buy another one. I made the right decision in buying the warranty.

Review Date: 19th June, 2007