1989 Mazda B2200 from North America

Summary:

Help help help

Carburetor, manifold, and #3 cylinder.

General Comments:

I bought it and the dealer said it just needed some gas cleaner called "Seafoam".

The truck has to be started 5 - 6 times just to keep it running, and I have to ride around the block a couple of times to make sure it keeps running before I will take it on a main road.

I bought this for my son under the impression it was just old gas in the system; yeah right.

Now I've been told we needed a new carburetor, it has a cracked manifold, and the third cylinder is weak. I was told if we put a new carburetor in it, we may still have the problem of it trying to stall and spitting and sputtering; it could also be the computer. I was told it would be $1500.00 to install, and if it works, great, if not, then they would give me another price on the computer.

So now the vehicle I bought for $1700.00 so far has cost me another $1200.00 from taking it to different repair shops to get fixed, just to run worse than before.

I was told that Mazdas are great vehicles. My father in law even went out and bought a new one about the same time, because I told him they were great vehicles. I'm not really sure what to do at this point, any suggestions?

My 16 year old son bought this truck with his own money, and has not been able to drive it yet.

Review Date: 24th May, 2010

27th May 2010, 04:47

Isn't the B2200 just a rebadged Ford? I'm not sure about the 1989. In any case, when a used car salesman tells you that your car needs "snake oil", it should set off red lights. Sounds like you need a reliable mechanic. But there may be no easy fix, read cheap, to buying a can of worms that some used car salesman unloaded on you.

7th Jan 2012, 08:15

Although many parts can interchange between the two trucks, the 1986-1993 Mazda B-Series truck is NOT a re-badged Ford Ranger.

Starting in 1983, Ford began selling its own design, the Ranger, while Mazda continued on with its own truck.

The two companies did not share a common truck again until the 1994 model year.

I agree with the other commenter - the reviewer needs to seek the advice of a learned and trusted mechanic.

One thing I do know, the F2 engine is still as expensive as it ever was.

Generally, I'm seeing prices in the $1500 range. Same price as it was in 1995 and why (back then) I opted to have my F2 engine rebuilt, which ended up at a little over half the cost of a new engine (about $800, if memory serves).

These days, I fear even rebuilding it yourself may not be much cheaper than getting a reman'd long block (figure $1000, at least).

11th Oct 2015, 02:35

Honestly I would have bought a carb rebuild kit for $20, computer & manifold at the junkyard. $70-$80. Fixed and going up the road.

1989 Mazda B2200 2.2 from North America

Summary:

I wouldn't own another one

Blew the original motor 4 cylinder 2.2. Got a replacement motor from the junk yard, did well for a while, then found out the head was warped, so had it milled, and new valve guides and springs, etc.. installed, put it back on.

Did good for about 5 months, now it smokes blue smoke very badly till the engine warms up, and let me say this is a 5 speed manual, and now it has no power at all. It's all I can do to either stay in 3rd gear or try for fourth if driving on a flat road. Oil is leaking out from where the exhaust manifold bolts to the head, but have no water in oil. So my best guess is it is time to have the engine overhauled, replace mains, bearings, and all rings, and even hon the bore holes.

Anyways, I had to get rid of the California Emissions after putting the new engine in due to the one I got from junk yard was slightly different with the emissions and vacuum hoses, so now I'm stuck looking for some GOOD advice to what I should do to save this baby.

Overall I do like this little truck, and it does well on fuel as long as it runs right, which hasn't been all winter.

Well I am looking for some advice. If you folks have the same B2200 2.2 4 cylinder 1989 Mazda as I do, please send me an E-mail to give me some advice on what to do to save the little work horse, thank you, Sincerely, TONY adcar1970@yahoo.com

General Comments:

This is an overall good truck, but needs a lot of help, and can cost a lot of your wallet for parts..

Review Date: 8th March, 2010