1989 Mazda B2200 from North America

Summary:

Too much past to give up my truck!

Cigarette lighter failed after 5K.

Ticking on the valves.

Failed smog check after 20K.

General Comments:

Bought the car new in 1990; my first new car/truck. Spent my youth in it, and it and never had any real problems with it. In 2004 I stopped driving it when I got married.

For my 40th B-day present to myself, I had my mechanic take it on as a overhaul project. My fault lack of PM.

I will never sell the Grey Ghost, I love her too much! Though, taking bids on my Wife.

Just kidding, she was into it all the way.

Review Date: 5th April, 2009

1989 Mazda B2200 SE-5 2.2 L4 from North America

Summary:

This truck is part of my family

Rear axle seals at 35,000 miles.

Brake master cylinder at 110,000.

Ran truck hot at 175,000 miles and blew the head gasket. Replaced engine due to high mileage.

Re-manufactured engine had a defective cylinder head and had to be replaced at 218,000.

Truck was repainted in 2000.

General Comments:

Truck has been great. I took my drivers test in this truck 12 years ago and drove it throughout high school. It still has the original alternator, starter, A/C compressor and just about all the factory parts. The automatic transmission has been serviced regularly and has never missed a beat. I recently upgraded to a weber carburetor and plan on driving the truck another 12 years.

Review Date: 23rd January, 2006

1st Apr 2006, 21:47

Gilbert apparently has the only '89 Mazda B2200 in Houston.

And he won't sell it, not even for $1000.

16th Apr 2007, 01:02

Gilbert wouldn't sell it for 10,000 times book value, so he wouldn't take $1000, ha ha ha!

Seriously, these look like pretty good trucks, I'm a little put off by them being designed/sold as Ford's also, but I think they're made in Japan from these years, so what the heck, I might buy an extended cab for $700 or $800 canadian, 241K km, rebuilt motor at 200K km, sounds ok, eh?

6th Jun 2009, 17:48

I am happy that these gentlemen had a good laugh about my truck. Here is another statement. I would not let my truck go even if I won the 155 million mega bucks. GT.

13th May 2010, 21:46

I totally agree with this gentleman. We have had one in our family for 15 years, it is part of the family. It might not be a Toyota, but it has a soul and personality; that's why many will not sell this great machine.

1989 Mazda B2200 Cab Plus 2.2 cid 5 speed from North America

Summary:

Truck has a smooth ride when working properly, but when it breaks, there goes your wallet.

Head gasket blew at 120,000.

Clutch at 140,000.

Motor, radiator, heater core, and carburetor at 180,000.

Head blew again (i hope just gasket) in shop now 10/04/2005 at 225,000.

Rear end at 200,000.

General Comments:

I am kinda glad I got the truck, but it's sucking up my money for repairs. I now have a bad back so I cannot do the repairs myself anymore.

Excellent truck for booming stereo's!!!

I have repaired or replaced majority of truck parts except transmission (which I have done clutch with accessories).

Review Date: 4th November, 2005

1989 Mazda B2200 from North America

Summary:

Good work truck or runner

Replaced radiator (header block cracked)

Replaced rotors, brakes, tires.

Massive oil leaks... had to replace the head gasket @ 100,000. Replaced the timing seal, valve seal, all belts.

"fast idle" sticks in winter time; idles at very high rpms.

Noisy lifters.

Squeaks and rattles throughout the truck.

Ignition has locked before.

Cracked radiator hoses.

Engine has been dying unexpectedly for the last 3,000 miles... mechanic unable to figure out the problem.

Windshield cracks.

Tailpipe rusted right off.

General Comments:

When it runs, it's a great truck. Excellent mileage, great heater, awesome runner. Bad on the highway and for long distance trips. Slow and difficult in the winter. Burns oil, prone to oil leaks. Nice cab and simple design. Wouldn't recommend this model-year. Go newer.

Review Date: 30th September, 2005

1989 Mazda B2200 Extra Cab 2.2 from North America

Summary:

Good truck and the right size, but it is starting to fall apart

The rings failed at about 120,000 miles and may be failing again. I have been told that it has serious blow by. This blow by is forcing oil up through the valve cover to the air cleaner then out through a drain hole.

The fuel pump failed at about 200,000 miles.

The oil pump started to go out at 180,000 miles.

The water pump started to leak at about 170,000 miles.

The blower for the air conditioner/heater failed at 80,000 miles and again at 210,000 miles.

The air conditioner continues to loose coolant if it is not run every other day.

Air conditioner updated to R134 at 246,000 miles.

Catalytic converter replaced at 40,000 miles and at 190,000 miles.

Valve cover loosens up all of the time starting 10 years ago.

The clutch went out at 60,000 miles and at 180,000.

The radiator started leaking at 60,000 miles.

General Comments:

Nice size for a small pickup used for city driving. I would love to keep it as a secondary vehicle, but the failing rings maybe the last straw. I cannot get anyone to give me a quote for a ring job so it will pass smog check in California. Everyone wants to rebuild the engine. With the engine oil going up through to the air cleaner would a ring job be enough to fix the problem?

Review Date: 10th September, 2005

11th Sep 2005, 21:42

My dad had an old mazda that smoked, the rings went. But I think its in your best interest to rebuild cause the truck is old and you will likely be replacing some other things soon anyways.

16th Sep 2009, 09:47

My friend bought the 89 truck. The truck is nothing but trouble. Had the motor rebuilt, 20,000 later broke again. Carb problems, radiator, fuel pump. Worst deal ever...