1989 Mazda B2200 extra cab 2.2L from North America

Summary:

Slick little truck.

The prior owner of this truck abused it severely. This included the lack of any preventative maintenance whatsoever. All of these problems were related.

I had a recurring problem with the clutch slave cylinder blowing out, twice now. This was in part due to the replacement of the clutch and the pressure difference. Replaced now for the second time and now doesn't seems to be a problem.

The shocks were blown when I bought the truck, and I replaced those. It now handles well.

The head gasket blew. I replaced that, very easy job.

The drivers seat has more or less fallen apart. This seems to be a problem with these trucks, as I am having problems finding a new one, even from wreckers.

When I bought it, the steering was extremely stiff, to the point that my wife couldn't drive it. I replaced the tires and it helped, but it was still inconvenient. I replaced the tires this week with new ones, and now it is much better.

My biggest problem and only real beef with this truck has been a stuttering on cold or wet days. I don't mean anywhere close to freezing temperatures, but even a little chilly wind with rain it will do it. I can't figure this out. Since I replaced the head gasket, the problem has considerably reduced, but it is still there. Where it used to just shut down, now it only stutters and loses power. Any suggestions for a fix?

General Comments:

This has been an incredible truck. Extremely reliable, fairly fuel efficient, and it drives like a car. I especially like the comfort level and the space that the extra cab offers. The maintenance that I have had to do on it is minimal for the mechanical condition that it was in when I bought it.

Review Date: 12th November, 2004

2nd Feb 2005, 12:37

Funny that you have the stuttering problem. I have the same thing, especially on damp and wet days. No problem with cold, just wet days. I've replaced plugs, cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter... I even had the Mazda dealer look at it. They said, maybe a rusty fuel tank?! But when I asked why only in the wet weather, they just shrugged and said they didn't know. I just noticed a bubbling in my radiator overflow- I suppose I've blown the head gasket. I'm hoping that that when I fix this the stuttering might stop, but it sound like that didn't completely help you?! I'll keep you informed if I fix my problem, good luck with yours.

1989 Mazda B2200 2.2 cc from North America

Summary:

Recommend this baby to anyone

-cabin rust - previously not undercoated

-replaced rusted front bumper at 250,000 km

-U joint on drive shaft rebuilt at 250,000 km

-replaced transmission with good used one from a wreckers yard at 370,000 km.

-nothing major other than regular maintenance parts

-engine has never been opened up.

General Comments:

This has been one of the most reliable vehicles that I have ever driven. I use and abuse it on long trips to the lake generally loaded with "stuff". It is my delivery vehicle every winter for cut firewood. It has been used to move appliances and office furniture.

Never a problem.

Cabin is comfortable although basic. Seats could be better for long trips, but they are more than satisfactory.

Review Date: 13th September, 2004

6th Apr 2005, 15:16

I think that this is a great review. I, myself drive a 1989 Mazda B2200 pickup, and other than rust and oil burning, it has never quit. Mine is a 5-speed manual transmission with an in-line four-cylinder engine. It gives off just enough power to get up to speed quite fast, no matter what anyone else says. It has been driven into the ditch twice and still runs like the day I bought it. It recently started missing, but putting just four new spark plugs in it was a cheap and easy fix. I have to say that until it dies, I won't trade it for anything.