1994 Nissan Altima Reviews

Year of manufacture1994
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 2.4 gas Automatic
Previous carDodge Neon

Summary:

Reliable car with a smooth engine. Don't like the auto trans

Original engine replaced at about 111k.

Radiator replaced at 120k.

Exhaust replaced.

Injector replaced at 170k.

Front spring broken at about 120k.

General Comments:

This has proven to be a very good car for us, in spite of the engine problem. I bought the car as is, and a few weeks after we owned it, it lost all coolant and overheated the engine. Still not sure why, but maybe a hairline crack in the radiator. Engine was replaced with a junkyard motor, and it has been smooth sailing since.

I do all my own work, so my gauge of a good car is how much I don't have to work on it, and this has been a good one. It was my wife's car, and she needed something absolutely reliable, and this met the challenge.

It is a solid car, although some things were cheap, like electrical connectors.

The engine in the car is incredibly smooth. I want to buy one with a manual trans, as I expect it would be fun to drive. The automatic is reliable, but not smooth. It gets me where I need to go.

Car is being handed over to my son, and I expect we will get many more miles out of it.

Review Date: 1st May, 2011

1994 Nissan Altima GXE 2.4 from North America

Year of manufacture1994

Summary:

I wouldn't turn it down if it were free

I lost power at all speeds, but the car idles fine and does not stall.

My gas mileage also dropped from 30 to 24 mpg, but part of this is probably because I have to drive in a lower gear to make up for the lost power.

I replaced plugs, dist. cap, wires, air filter. Anybody have any ideas?

Review Date: 8th March, 2010

9th Mar 2010, 11:04

Do you have any noises going along with it? Is it reaching operating temperature?

Also check and clean the Mass Air Flow sensor with a cleaner that leaves no residue.

4th Oct 2013, 10:47

It's too late, but the MAF sensor has to be cleaned both sides with the specific CRC sensor cleaner. This little guy is situated at the exit of the air filter box, and it regulates the air/gas mixture. It always gets dirty every 2-3 years, and it sends the wrong signal, which in turn makes the car to have worst gas mileage, and less acceleration.

1994 Nissan Altima GXE from North America

Year of manufacture1993
Previous carAcura Integra

Summary:

Overall, a dependable nice looking car with pep

When I got this car, it had been wrecked and I bought it for $300. It needed an inner and outer tie rod, strut, and I believe a control arm due to the accident.

Had to buy tires and get an alignment too, because of the accident and not passing inspection due to bad tires.

The switch that turns the AC/heat on at levels 1, 2, 3, and 4 has broke, and I can only get 4, meaning it blows out on the highest setting only. You can adjust the heat/coldness though.

General Comments:

Overall, this car is great. If taken care of, I think it will last a long time with little in the way of repairs or expense. The car I bought was totaled, yet I bought it for $300, put $1000 in it, and drove it for 2 years now.

Due to the car having a bent frame from the accident, my car won't hold a perfect alignment so I go through tires more so than normal. This car can take a lot of abuse and still go strong. The front grill is held on by twisters, since the little tabs broke off that hold it on.

It handles wells, is very comfortable and roomy for the front or back passengers to sit in. The air is cold and the heat is hot. Rear windshield defogger works great. Front defrost works good. Electric windows and locks all work fine. Mine seems to go through a little bit of oil though.

Anyone wanting to buy a Nissan Altima will probably be happy with their purchase, but always look at the condition of the vehicle. If it looks fairly clean (and thus taken care of), and if it seems to idle OK and drive fine, you will probably find it to be a dependable car. Even though mine was abused before I got it, it still ran like a workhorse.

I still have mine and if it wasn't for the fact that it has a bent frame and goes through tires now, I would have no problem keeping it. As I have been looking for a better car recently, I have found that all the cars I am looking at aren't even as good as my Altima, even though they are asking more than I plan to ask for my Altima.

This car does have some pep, and gets up and goes when needed. Also, gas mileage is not bad.. gets 20-27, and this is even without a tuneup in 2 years.

Review Date: 31st March, 2009