1994 Nissan Altima Reviews - Page 4 of 10

Model year1994
Year of manufacture1994
Engine and transmission 2.4L Automatic
Previous carGMC Jimmy

Summary:

Recommended to anyone looking for a dependable car.

Front back pads replaced at 138,000 miles.

Passenger side CV Axle replaced at 138,000 miles.

Front wheel bearings replaced at 143,000 miles.

General Comments:

The car is a quite good handling car.

Is not the most comfortable interior, but fairly comfortable and does have good functions.

Very low maintenance car that will be on the road forever. I have put 13,000 miles on the car in 4 months. Out of 23 vehicles before this here car it is the best car I have ever owned.

The small 4 cylinder gets great gas mileage of 25mpg city and 30mpg highway. It also has a lot of power for a small motor, and acts more like a six cylinder on power.

I used this vehicle as my primary response vehicle for the rescue team I was with until getting a Ford Ranger and knocking the Altima down to a secondary response vehicle, and it served me very well considering the abuse it has received. It still gets driven several times weekly as my truck is always breaking down.

Nissan out did their-selves on this car, and once again proves to me foreign cars will always be better than American any time of the day. I don't think I could part with this car for $100,000 considering how well it has served me. If anything ever happens to this car, I can garuntee I'll buy me another Altima.

The rescue team I am with is even thinking about purchasing several Altimas for our command officers as a patrol vehicle because of the great MPG and quality of them.

Review Date: 6th December, 2005

6th Dec 2005, 17:55

I had a 93 Altima and I absolutely loved it, but it was a piece of crap and I cursed at it many times. I bought it for 500 bucks and it had been sitting in the grass for a year in the previous owner's yard. The entire rear crossmember was rotted out, it took 4 days of welding with 1/8 inch plate steel to get it sufficiently repaired for a safety inspection. Thankfully my dad did the welding for me, or else it would have me quite a few hundred bucks. My dash lights didn't work, the heater control was stuck, the motor mounts were soft, I believe it had a bad tranny mount, and the intake manifold gasket was leaking bad, the upper timing chain guide was noisy, the AC didn't work, the flexible exhaust joint was rotted out, but I still loved it. It sucked down a full tank of gas in under 300 miles which was pretty bad. That's what I get for buying a car that's been sitting in the grass for a year or more.

16th May 2006, 15:59

Here it is May of 2006 & back in December was when I made my first post about this car. My PCV Valve clogged up & I was unaware of it & ended up driving it until it broke down. Do to that it did cost me about $400 in order to repair it, as it needed the distributor cleaned, new distributor cap, ignition rotor bug, new PCV valve, PCV system cleaned & new gaskets as the valve cover & intake had to be taken apart to replace the PCV Valve & clean the system. However considering the car now has 146,000 miles, which is 16,000 miles more than what was on it when I purchased the car a little over 8 months ago. I paid $2300 for it & have spent less than $1000 on repairs. I actually started using it as my primary vehicle again, as it gets 10mpg better & runs a lot better. As with any vehicle it needs proper maintenance, but as long as it gets the proper maintenance these cars can run strong longer than most cars are ever on the road for very little cost in repairs.

1994 Nissan Altima GXE 2.4L 4-Cylinder from North America

Year of manufacture1994
First year of ownership1994
Engine and transmission 2.4L 4-Cylinder Automatic

Summary:

Excellent, reliable car

2 new starters at 85,000 and 87,000 miles (The first replacement was a defective rebuilt one.)

Muffler hits the frame of the car because of corroded exhaust hangers.

Heat/AC only works on high.

Timing chain rattles and makes a clanking sound because the guide is worn out.

General Comments:

This is probably one of the best cars ever made.

This is a very reliable car. No major engine, transmission, or electronics problems since we bought the car ten years ago. I live in an area that has harsh winters too and so far there's been only one small rust spot on the whole car.

The engine is a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder with 150 horsepower. For an early 90's subcompact it's actually decently fast. Faster if paired with the manual transmission.

I would recommend more frequent tune-ups after 90,000 miles or if the car isn't driven a lot. I also recommend 89 octane fuel in really cold weather.

If you're looking for a cheap, reliable, well-built car, I would highly recommend picking one of these up. I think these are even better than the new Altima's in certain aspects.

Review Date: 22nd December, 2004