1994 Nissan Altima LX from North America

Summary:

I cannot say what I would really like to say in order to get my review published

New Transmission after first year of owning. ($3500 Cdn)

New Air Conditioning unit after second year of owning it. ($950 Cdn)

New fuel pump after third year of owning it. ($550)

New Transmission after 5 years of owning it ($3500 Cdn)

Now the ABS light stays on.

Now A/C works intermittently.

Now tail lights don't work properly.

Now when I press the brakes, the clock dims to the point where it's unreadable.

Now car runs rough at idle and then stalls.

I've been begging my wife to sell the car for the past 3 to 4 years, but she's too stubborn.

I think she has now FINALLY come to the realization that half our debt comes from this car.

General Comments:

This car is a LEMON!

If you're thinking of buying one, RUN the other way and don't look back.

I will NEVER buy a Nissan vehicle ever again.

Review Date: 19th October, 2004

22nd Jan 2005, 17:50

That is an awful lot to go wrong with the car. While I completely believe you, people should not be made to believe that it's consistent with all of these cars. I've owned my '94 GXE for 2 years (107k->120k) and next to nothing has gone wrong. Replaced the starter and spark plugs, aside from oil changes.

Good luck on future cars.

27th Apr 2005, 12:02

I unfortunately have had the same sort of problems with my 94 GXE.

2 New Starters

2 New Alternators

1 New Transmission

1 Radiator

5 Different Trip to the Shop To Fix Electrical Short with Breaks.

I have maintained the car very regularly, more frequently than even recommended. I have taken remarkably good care of the car and yet - it continues to be a problem.

Best of Luck - If you should make this purchase. I won't be doing it a second time.

14th Nov 2005, 11:17

I too find this weird, I've had my 94 Altima for 3 years and had no repairs beyond the starter and regular oil changes. It seems really odd to me that you'd have this many problems without being able to fall back on a lemon law sort of thing.

J.

12th Jun 2006, 22:10

Wow. 150,000 miles on mine with nothing more than regular maintenance. If you do not take care of them you will have problems.

1994 Nissan Altima GXE 2.4L from North America

Summary:

In general, this is a great car that has done well for me in the last 10 years

The front axles had to be replaced at 110K.

The exhaust pipe needed welded back together at 110K.

The driver's side seatbelt retractor no longer works.

The dome light only turns on occasionally. Hitting it will make it come on.

The alternator went at 120K.

The distributor went at about 150K.

The timing chain makes noise because the guide is gone.

General Comments:

I inherited the car, and haven't thought about buying another since.

The ride is smooth, and the engine has some kick.

I wish that the turning radius were not quite so huge.

Also, I agree that the hubcaps are so easy to lose. I think I have lost about 5 or 6 in the time that I have owned this car.

I wish that the rear seats folded down. This makes for a lot of trouble when trying to transport anything wider or longer than the trunk.

Review Date: 11th September, 2004

1994 Nissan Altima SE 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Rear end at 65 mph and it will still run no problem!

I've needed to replace the timing cover once and just missed it under warranty at 60,000. Bummer. The airbag light is on for the second time even though the dealer checked and said it was fine. Uh yeah. Replaced the CV boot at around 70,000 and the clutch at around the same time. Previous owner abused it. Punk.

General Comments:

The car rocks overall. I've been challenged to race many times by other fixed up Hondas, Toyotas and even Mustangs, twice. I don't blame them. Acceleration is awesome and the power has always been present. Handles pretty good to for a sedan. Comfortability is OK for leather seats but much prefer either replacing them or getting those other stock seats.

Review Date: 24th August, 2004