1994 Nissan Altima GXE 2.4L 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Beats rivals in styling and perks at the cost of some refinement and seating space

When I first got the car, oil was leaking from the timing chain seal (cost $800 non-dealer). I haven't had a single leak since then.

I replaced the belts at 100k, and also the brake pads. They were both squeaky when I purchased the car.

Clutch went out at about 105k miles (typical car repair - not problem).

Radiator had to be replaced at about 110k miles.

Tune-up done at 115k.

Alternator went out at 120k miles.

Distributor cap and spark plugs replaced at 127k.

Oil changes every 3,000 miles.

Manual transmission is not smooth and it's pretty noisy. This is not normal because I drove a manual trans '97 Altima that was very smooth.

Transmission hasn't had any problems that keep me from driving it though; I think it may have just been driven hard in the past.

After alignment, tire rotation, balancing, the car still shakes at 15-30 mph. Beyond that it drives smoothly.

Wind and road noise get bad at 70+ mph. This is probably normal.

General Comments:

I love the overall look of the car. The spoiler and the 5-spoke alloy wheels really bring out the round sporty styling of the 1990s.

The interior material quality, fit and finish of the car set it far apart from your typical cheap-plastic American car.

Little room in back to comfortably fit even two adults, but great for children.

The seats have no tears and only moderate signs of wear.

When detailed, the thing looks brand new!

It has good quality stock speakers.

One catch is that the car rattles in different parts of the interior at different rpms.

It is fun to drive and it handles fairly well.

When I first got the car I remember it being pretty quick off the line.

It seems to have lost some of its pep in the last few thousand miles.

The engine is very strong though. I think the fuel injectors need to be cleaned or it needs a variety of inexpensive maintenance tune-ups???

Overall very good car. For $1,000 it was well worth it and I would buy one again. Just make sure you do your homework and pick out the right one.

I recommend taking this or any other car to a trusted mechanic to make sure nothing serious is wrong with the car.

Review Date: 24th January, 2009

1994 Nissan Altima XE 2.4 from North America

Summary:

Worst car ever made..

How to start this nightmare?

Seal crank at 55 000 KM (warranty).

Oxygen sensor at 55 000 KM (warranty).

Seal crank again at 99000 KM (warranty).

Mass air flow broke down, making the car run no higher than 90 Km/h; cost $535 + towing at 121 000Km.

Cable shifter broke in the transmission car had to be towed again at 126 000 KM, cost $450.

Oxygen sensor again at 127 000 KM, cost $150.

Car started to rust badly in the 1999 winter, even with a good anti-rust treatment.

Power transistor broke down, cost $200 at 132 000 KM.

Major electrical problems occurred at 135 000 KM, front light left and right stopped working in alternation on high or low beam.

New radiator at 135 000 Km.

Heating stopped partially to work (only the trap in the middle of the dash blowing hot and cold air at the same).

Oil leak into the distributor assembly repair by myself, cost $145 + towing again (during the holidays) at 144 000 KM.

New starter and head gasket, done by myself at 155 000 KM, $250.

New front suspension including coil spring, top plate bearing etc... cost $1000.

Rear lift kit. Installed by myself for $120.

Lining started to leak at 162 000 KM due to RUST, RUST and more RUST (always treated).

Gas tank ripped off on the road during vacation at 178 000 KM. Lost all my fuel on the road in the middle of nowhere, sent the car to the junkyard for $200, too angry!

General Comments:

This is the worst car I have owned in my life, I should have sold this car before. I cannot believe I kept this car during 14 years.

I am Aircraft Technician, and a normal family would have ruined themselves by driving a Nissan Altima. Every time I went on vacation with this car, it broke far away from my garage. The only good thing in that car is the KA24DE 2.4 L engine, which always sounded as a new and never took an drop of oil.

The rest is garbage.

I cannot believe this car rusted that much, even after I started to treat it after my warranty in 1997.

This car had several major electrical problems that I was not able to fix, even though I am certified Aircraft Technician.

A good car for a mechanic apprentice if you bring your tool box and spare parts in the trunk. NOT for normal people, except if you are rich enough to afford all the repairs.

Review Date: 12th November, 2008