1999 Nissan Maxima Reviews - Page 2 of 15

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 3.0 Liter V6 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 3.0 Liter V6 Automatic
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

Great 4 door sports sedan!

We bought this car back in 1999 as new. Never had any problem until few months back when it started hesitating (misfire of cylinders), which have over time gone worst. Especially when idling or low speed acceleration. Testing turns out it's misfiring and replaced all six coils for $350. Now, it's been 3 weeks plus and it runs great again.

General Comments:

Engine is very smooth.

Acceleration is great.

Ride is comfortable.

Appearance of the body is good and sporty (no aging).

Powerful engine.

Review Date: 13th May, 2010

15th Apr 2011, 08:49

Mine give the same symptoms, but after they cleared the fuel throttle box and some sensors (and their plugs), the problem was gone for about a week. This makes me think that it might just be the connectors.

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 3.0 Liter V6 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 3.0 Liter V6 Automatic
Most recent distance132000 miles
Previous carPlymouth Neon

Summary:

To date, it's the best car we've ever owned

Rough idle while still under warranty. I took the car to the dealer several times, but told there are no error codes. Finally, when I reached the end of my warranty, I told the Service Manager if they can't fix it I'm going to trade it in on a Honda. This got them to call Nissan American. Behold, they must have known about problems with the coils that do not show an error code. They advised the mechanics on what to do. They kept the car 4 days (provided me a loner), and got 5 of the 6 coils to show an error. They replaced all at no cost.

It has proven to be the best car we've ever purchased.

After 120,000+ miles the knock sensor failed. I changed it myself for a total cost of < $300, that included the 18" extension and other tools I purchased.

At 132,000 miles the O2 sensors are failing. I'll also replace them myself.

General Comments:

Nissan had already stopped production on their "Z" models. The Nissan Maxima in 1999 had the same motor. Advertised as having the heart of a "Z". For its time, 190 HP was something.

The car is stylish, very comfortable to ride in and accelerates well. The cloth interior looks great after 10 years. The rest of the interior has held up well also. No cracks in the dash, nor any wearing off of the black on the radio selector buttons like I had with my 2006 Civic.

My son has been the primary driver the last two years.

She now has over 132,000 miles and going strong.

Review Date: 25th April, 2010

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 3.0 from North America

Distance when acquired142000 miles
Previous carNissan Altima

Summary:

A disappointment

I have already changed out 5 engine coils.

Idle control valve.

Knock and 3 O2 sensors.

Front end support.

RPMs shoot up over 3000.

Speed increases to 40-45 mph by itself.

General Comments:

I loved this car for years, until I bought one.

It rides nice, handles good and is pretty comfortable, when it works.

I am lucky that I can perform general car care, but have been soaked dry because every couple months it's another sensor, valve, coil or some other obscure part that just happens to have been placed INSIDE motor so everything has to come out to get to it.

And now no one can figure out why car speeds up by itself (and no, not a Toyota joke) and rpms go sky high to over 3000.

I got money in it now, but I guess I should cut my loses and just buy American.

Review Date: 1st March, 2010

1999 Nissan Maxima ES 3.0 V6 (VQ) from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0 V6 (VQ) Automatic
Most recent distance192000 kilometres
Previous carHonda Prelude

Summary:

Pleasant, good looking sedan with some muscle and secure handling

Minor exhaust leak at muffler -- expected wear.

Tie-rod ends -- expected wear.

Seized rear brake caliper.

General Comments:

I bought a well-maintained one-owner '99 Maxima ES with automatic, alloys, the electronic climate control, power heated seats, and traction control, when it had 176K on the odometer. Now, it's at 192K, and it's been pretty well trouble-free, except for things (see above) that are expected to fail on a ten-year-old car. It seems the most important thing with these cars, is to keep the V6 tuned up, and the body and undercarriage clean so as to prevent rust (this one has been rustproofed since new).

The Max, as we call it, performs well, handles nicely, and is good in the snow (we use snow tires). The V6 likes the (premium) fuel, and is a little thirsty for the size of the car, but not an outright guzzler. We also prefer the looks of the '99 model to the '00; not to mention this one was still built in Japan (better quality, perhaps?)

Overall, I'm pleased with our Maxima. It's provided the same service to us as a vehicle that would be half as old, and cost twice the price.

Yet another good example of why used Japanese cars are generally such a good value.

Review Date: 21st September, 2009

23rd Sep 2009, 06:43

I agree! I have a 1997 Nissan Altima with 224,500 miles and it's very reliable. This is my first Nissan and my next one will be too!