1999 Nissan Maxima XE from North America

Summary:

Not happy with it

Coils misfiring again.

General Comments:

The only problem I've had is with the coils misfiring, second time having coils replaced. I think I'm getting ripped off with the cost of a coil ... I saw at one website that they cost %55.48, however Meineke is charging me $194.00 for one coil and $84 labor. I think that is way too much ... I wish I had come to this site before I took my car in ... actually, all I did was take it in for an inspection and so far it has cost me $1,488.00 and it's still misfiring and the 'check engine light' is still on. Now what???

Review Date: 30th May, 2009

28th Feb 2013, 17:03

I have the same problem with my 99 Nissan Maxima GLE. I cannot think great for Nissan any more. They issued a bulletin to their techs on the coil pack issue, which advised them to replace all six when they see an issue with one. They should have recalled these vehicles and fixed it for winning our loyalty, if they care!!

For now, please go ahead and find a reliable mechanic who can tell you 6 coils cost and labour should not be more than $100. 6 coil packs are sold cheap on eBay, but they don't fit well. I suggest you buy from the mechanic's supplier to avoid these suitability headaches. Expect a good 6 coil pack to cost around $300 or more, but not less. I bought a cheaper set ($150 for six), but they didn't fit well or work well. Returned them, thanks to their good service (JCW). You have no choice but change these immediately to avoid damage to other cars.

1999 Nissan Maxima SE-L 3.0 from North America

Summary:

A rare breed!

CV half shaft started clicking at 140000.

CD Player is shot.

Trans has a slight slip, but will be fixed soon.

General Comments:

Love this car!!! Still has good looks for being a 12 year old car. A well thought out car. Very reliable and still puts a smile on my face when I hit the pedal. My son loves that part as well. The only thing needed is more power, which I'm working on.

Review Date: 7th April, 2009

27th Apr 2009, 00:23

I went the opposite direction. I had an '00 Maxima with a million problems, and my next car will be a Subaru Impreza (WRX, STI). The 99 Maximas were still OK though. My '00 had the following problems:

Clutch died, front axle failed, 3 O2 sensors, catalytic converter failed, stalling in wet weather, etc.

1999 Nissan Maxima LX 3.0 from North America

Summary:

The best car ever built

Transmission changed at 300k when I changed the clutch. That's 300k though, so I guess that would be expected.

Never had problems with the coils like everyone else, but I maintain the car and have changed the spark plugs regularly.

The arm rest leather wore out, once again 300k+, so that armrest has seen a lot of elbow.

Replaced the windshield wiper arm. I tried to clear snow off the windshield, so that was my fault.

Blew the alarm fuse and thought it was the chip in the key. I was about to tow it when I checked all the fuses and found that 35 was blown.

Honestly there has not been too many problems that aren't regular.

People stop crying about the coilpack change; it and the car will last you a good 400k.

General Comments:

400k FOUR HUNDRED KILOMETERS and counting. This is by far the best car I have ever owned. No oil leaks. Changed some parts like the tranny, but come on, 400k. My friends are always in shock when I show them how many k's are on the car, and it still drives and looks new. There's some minor rust in the front near the wheel, but nothing major.

These cars go for under $5000 now, and are worth every penny. My car is proof that a Nissan Maxima will last forever. I am still driving it at 400k. I will update when it dies to give the actual life of the car.

Review Date: 11th January, 2009