2000 Nissan Maxima Reviews - Page 2 of 25

Model year2000
Year of manufacture2000
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission

Summary:

Don't buy it

First, let me say it has been nothing but a money pit, one for Nissan's bank. I will never buy fake prestige again. Bought a Ford Crown Vic almost 2 years ago, infinitely a better vehicle than the Maxima.

I paid $12000 for the Maxima in 2005, and have racked up $8000 in repair bills as of the date I finally unloaded it. Never again.

Review Date: 8th March, 2011

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 3.0L V6 from North America

Model year2000
Year of manufacture1999
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 3.0L V6 Automatic
Previous carInfiniti I30

Summary:

Promises a lot, delivers most, but fails due to mechanical and electrical faults

MAF replaced at 115000.

Primary and secondary O2 sensors replaced at 118000.

Every front alignment piece changed almost right away (upgraded to MOOG).

Battery changed at 158000.

Rear shocks at at 160000.

Replaced every gasket in the engine bay.

Changed transmission pan, oil and filter.

Repaired exhaust (continuous).

General Comments:

Fast - just ridiculous for a car its size.

Cavernous trunk.

Handles like a race car.

Lots of toys.

I get 8.9-10L/100km in summer and 12-13 in winter.

To those who need to do some repairs. Please note that an inexperienced DIYer with little tools should not attempt any engine repairs. It's simple when things go right, but horribly difficult when they go wrong without the backup of a stock of tools.

That said, it took me 18 hours to change every gasket in the engine bay, clean the intake, paint the valve covers and put it all back. It's simple if you follow step by step the Factory Service Manual (FSM). BUT, have a 10mm and 12mm long socket and a 10mm and 12mm short drive wrench and socket (for the rear bolts holding the plenum in place on the firewall side. Very tough to get at otherwise. You will likely scratch up your knuckles). A few elbows would not hurt either.

Email me at apollo111111@hotmail.com if you get stuck or want some guidance as to how to diagnose your issues. I have had them all, and spent 122 hours with mechanics and Nissan techs. Trust me, I probably know what's wrong with it, and what tests you need to do to stop ripping your hair out!

Review Date: 8th February, 2011

7th Apr 2013, 14:53

I own this car too, and bought it used at 97,000 miles. It's been doing alright, and is presently at 115,000 miles.

The vehicle has not being used much in recent times, as I had to relocate to another continent. The car is used sparingly, and recently I noticed the high consumption of gas. I have not changed the spark plugs, but have replaced the MAF sensor.

When accelerating, sometimes you notice something like a momentary pause in the acceleration, and then it thrusts forward again. I have always noticed this with the car anyway.

I need your view on what might be causing the high gas consumption. My mechanic says the MAF sensor isn't good, even though I bought it brand new from an automobile parts dealer in the UK, where I reside. The car is presently in Nigeria and we don't seem to have very good mechanics in the part of the country where the car is parked.

I am contemplating selling it cos of this problem, but I'm not happy about that cos I love the car.

Thanks, as I await your suggestions.

14th Jul 2013, 14:20

Send me an email on bukkytronics@yahoo.com should you want to sell it.

2000 Nissan Maxima 3.0 V6 from North America

Year of manufacture2000
First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 3.0 V6 Manual
Previous carChrysler LeBaron

Summary:

Matches my personality; quiet and smooth on the outside, crazy and wild on the inside

Front drivetrain axle tore in half... my fault.

Back of passenger seat ripped, falling off.

General Comments:

This car is absolutely my favorite car I have ever driven. On the outside, it looks like a normal sedan, on the inside, it's the size of a luxury vehicle, and under the hood, it has a freaking beast of an engine for how light the car is.

I had a nice black Maxima, and when I washed it, it shined like it was brand new. I loved the style of the car.

The inside is more basic fabric, but the amount of space you have, especially in the back... awesome. Also, the stereo system was kind of lacking technology, but thank god for the $20 tape from Radioshack that lets you hook up your iPod or CD player to the car; definitely enjoyed it.

The engine... probably the most ridiculously powerful engine to car weight ratio ever. I love it. Honestly, I've been through 2 sets of tires already in my first 8 months, but I have a slight need for speed. In this car I beat a 2000-something VW GTI with a turbo charger, and a 2006 Mustang GT.

I will always love this car, and always be a proud owner of a Nissan Maxima ('00-'03 only).

Review Date: 21st January, 2011