1992 Nissan Sentra XE 1.6 from North America

Summary:

It's a reliable car with performance potential in the right hands, or for people on a tight budget

Axles needed replaced at time of purchase: $500.

Brake job at time of purchase: $200.

Routine tune-up at 110,000 miles.

Replaced alternator at 130,000 miles: $140.

General Comments:

Very reliable.

Lots of aftermarket performance options available.

Can drive spiritedly without worry of engine wear.

Automatic transmission has manual overdrive button, which helps performance.

Car responds well to performance modifications.

Moderate number of Sentra enthusiast websites for help with the car.

When well maintained, you should never need anything more than routine work.

This car is light and nimble, and can come to a stop quickly.

Engine swaps and transmission swaps are available for this car.

This car performs as well as most new cars in the same general classes, even though it is 19 years old.

With bolt-on performance modifications, this car performs in a class above it's own.

Lot's of online material about this car.

This is not a car for large people, and the back seat is just for looks.

30 mpg with average driving behavior (some fast driving, some slow driving)

40 mpg with easy driving behavior (driving slow everywhere).

20 mpg under harsh conditions (driving at emergency speeds).

This body style is the B13 (1991-1994), and the engine is a GA16de.

Before I bought this car, I knew nothing about Sentras. After researching it and modifying it throughout six years of ownership, I am a fan of Sentras and of Nissan.

Review Date: 9th July, 2011

1992 Nissan Sentra XE 1.6 from North America

Summary:

Great product, wish I was the first owner!

Nothing that is not general maintenance! This poor little car was given to me, and after doing things that were not done by other owners to keep it healthy, it's a great car!

I did have to replace the door hinges.

General Comments:

The mpg is great, even with the air on full blast. 42.2 mpg!

It has over 160,000, and I still have no problem with this little guy. I use it for my daily commute of 60 plus miles both ways, though I can feel the clutch slip ever so slightly on occasion. I ordered a new one; I'm not about to let the car get in the shape it was when I received it.

Review Date: 23rd June, 2010

1992 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.4 dual overhead cam from North America

Summary:

I got my money's worth from this vehicle

Other than the starter going as a result of C.A.A. the vehicle has been excellent.

General Comments:

Vehicle has been extremely reliable with no unnecessary repairs. Car is cheap to operate, but can be very uncomfortable to drive on highway. As I do a lot of city driving in winter and summer this has been an excellent economy car. Stands up well to cold winters.

Review Date: 15th December, 2007

1992 Nissan Sentra from North America

Summary:

Still a good choice 15 years later

When we bought the car it was not in the best of conditions. I do not think the previous owner took good care of it, and therefor lead to the problems that ensued.

Paint enamel was almost completely gone. I guess the factory paint didn't stand the test of time well at all.

The passenger side window seems to rattle a lot for some reason. This fault was present in both of the sentra's we've owned.

Brakes and rotors needed to be replaced, but that's pretty standard.

The starter randomly failed about a year after we got it. There was no warning, just one day it wouldn't start. The starter is a pain to replace, cost about 180$.

Soon after the starter failed, we noticed that when turning the car made a clicking sound, steering was horrible and there was a lot of shuddering. CV joints and axles had to be replaced.

Lots of electrical problems, the panel lights were dimming randomly, the other lights flickered and made a strange whining sound. The radio stopped working soon after. This lead to the car eventually not wanting to start, some electrical part under the alternator had to be replaced along with the battery which it had ruined. The whining and flickering however continued.

Front seals leaked severely, had to be replaced. However, instead of fixing the problem it lead to a whole slew of other problems, including the oil being dropped into the exhaust, car will now not accelerate beyond 30mph.

General Comments:

The interior is a little cheap looking, but what do you expect from an economy car. Its nothing that can't be lived with. For some reason all of these cars come equipped with the most drab color of paint/interior upholstery possible.

This is a tight car, easy and fun to drive and has a lot of pick up. Its great on gas, puts the newer economy cars to shame in this respect.

Despite all the problems we've had with this car, I am still a firm believer that these cars are one of the best and most reliable you can own for their age. We have owned two of these cars at different times, and I would swear by them. I think we were just unlucky as to have bought a car that the previous owner did not take the best care of. Change the oil and get a tune up every once in a while and these cars can last forever.

Review Date: 2nd October, 2007