1992 Nissan Sentra E Sedan 1.6L Inline-4 from North America

Summary:

Strong, even until the end

The previous owner (a family member that gave the car up after deciding to purchase a new one) had overheated the engine extremely, burning almost everything within the engine. Still, the car started up and ran fine, with the exception of very bad timing (which I later fixed, just for fun) and extreme knocking.

General Comments:

First off, I would like to say that I respect Nissan greatly. They, along with Honda and Toyota, are number 1 in reliability, overall performance, design, etc.

The previous owner of this didn't care much about the interior; dirt everywhere, dust, spills, stains, etc. It was given to me for me to decide what to do with it. I already had three other running cars at the time - a 2001 Subaru Outback Wagon, 2000 Honda Odyssey LX, and 1990 Infiniti M30. The Sentra did not replace any of my other cars; it just sat in the yard to be tinkered on for no actual reason at all.

The 1.6L inline-4 ran strong prior to the previous owner (a fellow family member of mine) ignoring the rising engine temperature and overheating it drastically. Even after he gave the car up to me with the extremely damaged engine, it started up easily and ran like nothing had happened, aside from some bad knocking/misfires, and offset timing. Still, it would pull itself out of it's little spot in the yard and refused to give up on itself; Nissans never do :).

Sadly, just last year I was forced to have it towed to a local junkyard. I needed to free up some space in the yard/driveway, and with the condition it's engine was in, I couldn't let anybody use it daily. I'll miss the Sentra dearly, and I'll always remember how every day it started right up and just ran regardless of the bad timing or misfires. It was strong, even until the end...

RIP SENTRA.

Review Date: 16th July, 2007

14th Dec 2007, 22:39

J.D. Power ratings uses the actual # of repairs under warranty and is very accurate. They put Nissan #23 in reliability ratings under their power train. I'm going for power train reliability, since that is what your review is based on. Yes, foreign cars are reliable. Domestic cars are just as reliable. The truth is that this is a "perceived reliability" and not actually proven. The amount of repair claims speaks for itself...

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/index.htm to see which company is actually most dependable.. "Perceived reliability" can get you in trouble.

24th Aug 2008, 00:50

The Consumer Reports usually list the major difficulties with the cars. Many domestic brands have minor issues that add up over time and become very irritating and costly to deal with.

Domestics nickel and dime consumers on a daily basis and make them feel "patriotic." Japanese makes usually last longer than domestics before any major repairs are necessary.

My 1987 Maxima lasted 20 years with only an initial recall and no major problems. It was retired only because a young driver caused it to be totaled. I prefer Japanese over American cars any day.

1992 Nissan Sentra XE 1.6 from North America

Summary:

I love it and if had the chance to buy another one I would

C.V Joint replaced.

Replaced fuel filter.

Replaced spark plugs.

General Comments:

This car is really well made.

The seats are very comfortable.

Motor is very tight and does not leak.

Review Date: 10th February, 2006

1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Great car for the money

Starter

Cruise Control

Exhaust Broke off at resonator

(day I bought the car)

General Comments:

The Nissan Sentra SE-R is a very fun car. The day I bought the car The exhaust broke off. I was a little dissapointed, but it made it a lot more responsive and a lot louder. I mean really, really loud. Mainly because the exhaust broke off at the resonater right underneath the driver seat.

The car is very quick for a 2.0 4cylinder at it's age. With the exhaust broken, the car got up to 100 in about the same time it took my Ford tempo to get to 80mph.

Handling. It is o.k. Lots of body roll, but it does hold to the road, it won't understeer very much in dry conditions. However, in the rain, this car is dangerous. It loves to skid and understeer in the rain. There is literally about 100lbs in the back of the car. It takes one person to lift up the back of the car. Very light.

It has some pretty crappy brakes for the kind of performance it has. The brakes heat up very quickly. They fail to stop the car fast enough when they are heated up.

The plus side to this car is that it will beat just about any civic with an exhaust. The car just pulls past Hondas. It's a fun car. In fact, I even raced a GTI and the ser kept up with it, although the Gti was a bit faster. Overall, an awesome value for only $1300. The bad thing is it has no weight and is dangerous in the rain. If you're a leadfoot like me, be careful and get to know how this car is and handles in the rain. I say this because I wrecked my car by rear ending a truck on a rainy day. I loved that car.

Review Date: 28th June, 2005