2005 Nissan X-Trail LE 2.5 gas from North America

A dependable and fun vehicle to own

The heater motor squealed whenever the temperature fell below 3 degrees Celsius, and was replaced at 120,000 km.

Left rear wheel bearing had to be replaced at 117,000 km.

Right front rotor warped and was replaced at 110,000 km.

General Comments:

The X-Trail is a very stable car to drive, on or off road.

The LE model is feature rich and very comfortable.

The center mounted gauges took some getting used to, but now I prefer them to those mounted behind the steering wheel.

The 165 hp engine has plenty of pep for merging on highways, and will cruise comfortably all day at 110 km/h.

Fuel consumption averages 9.5 liters/100 km in warm weather, but increases to 10.5 or more when the temperature dips below zero and using snow tires.

Review Date: 15th April, 2010

2005 Nissan X-Trail DCi 2.2 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Shame about the troublesome engine

Oil leak from under the intercooler, perhaps coming from a faulty turbo, though some of the comments about this suggest that the intercooler is at fault.

Oil leaks onto the manifold, and creates a nasty smell when the car is stopped.

Accelerating slightly harder than normal causes the car to go into limp mode. This can only be fixed by stopping the engine for a few seconds and re-starting it.

General Comments:

It's a shame about the problems with the diesel version, as it is quite a nice car in most other ways.

Nissan service is appalling, I have never managed to get anything fixed the first or second time. It take many visits and lots of money to get sorted.

Review Date: 2nd February, 2010

2005 Nissan X-Trail Gas 4 cylinder from North America

Great SUV with multi purpose use

Only have had 1 problem with the car, and it is a very minor problem.

The check engine light will come on when it idles for a long time in very cold temps. Example -15C to -30C. The problem when I coded it was an idle spike, but apparently it is a minor issue in other Nissans. Since last winter it hasn't come on, and when I watched for the light to come on, the idle barely even moved.

General Comments:

Great small-mid SUV that is good on gas because of the smaller engine size.

Towed our 1600lbs tent trailer all summer with ease!!

Heated seats work wonders in winter.

Drive a lot of long distances with comfort, and have never had any issues with high speed driving, the cruise control or any of the steering/bearings.

Haven't had any engine or transmission hiccups at all.

This is our first Nissan, and we are very happy with it.

Review Date: 17th November, 2009

11th Jul 2010, 23:01

This is an update on this review:

Have done a lot of highway driving and towing with our tent trailer and still no major problems.

We are at about 137km's and it still runs like when we bought it.

That original problem with the idle was that it needed new spark plugs (AKA regular maintenance).

3rd May 2015, 20:26

Further update on the original review:

The SUV is now toast. 225,000KM.

Since my previous posts, here are the list of problems/replacements:

- Alternator.

- Starter.

- 3 sensors (O2, cam and crankshaft).

- All 4 wheel bearings.

- Blower motor (which is a design flaw). Take it apart and remove the filter and housing to save yourself 700$.

- 2 rear struts.

- 1 ball joint.

- Plastic panels inside the wheel walls coming loose.

- The list goes on...

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS SUV. We joke that it is cursed, and it is! Glad to get rid of it and will never touch a Nissan ever again. Some people might say I got a lemon, but I asked my mechanic if all the issues, when they would occur, would all happen to other people's X-Trails that they would bring in. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

This is an honest review that I started from my original purchase to give a clear picture and experience.