2005 Nissan X-Trail X from Colombia - Comments

21st Feb 2012, 01:42

Hi, We have a 2005 X-Trail with 135,000 kms on the clock. Can anyone tell me what the rumble noise could be, when selecting reverse gear? The X-Trail has a 3 stage auto. The noise seems to go after the engine warms up. Had a listen under the bonnet. And noise seems to be coming from the timing chain area. And a vibration from the belt idle pulley. But I don't think it is that. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

9th Apr 2012, 19:56

Possibly a collapsing piston noise that is there cold, but goes away once the engine is warmed up.

17th May 2012, 08:55

Did you get your rumble sound figured out?

14th Jan 2013, 09:31

That may be one of the reasons. Another one to consider, which makes much more sense, is that it's easier to move your eyes toward the unimpeded center of the dash, rather than having to move your hand or head or both, to see past your fist and steering wheel, just to see the speedo and tach.

24th Jan 2013, 22:44

I had similar problem with my X-Trail. The dealer replaced the driveshaft and it fixed the problem.

7th Feb 2013, 16:31

I have just had my head gasket replaced on my 2002 X-trail Sport. Now the 4x4 light is permanently on, and also the diff light. Can anyone help?

28th Feb 2013, 21:16

Try and find an honest front end specialist if you can.

Or DIY - check for play in the wheel bearing/hub assembly, outer tie rod ends, ball joints, tire wear, alignment.

My 06 X-Trail needed both outer tie rod ends at 120k km. Very easy to check and replace. YouTube can show you how. Probably not on an X-Trail though.

12th Apr 2013, 20:34

2005 NISSAN X-Trail SE

Yes I have the same issue. We have replaced the crank shaft sensor and the timing sensor several times. It's only improved the sounds the trucks makes, but has not resolved the start up issue. It's like it will start when it wants. My next step is to replace all the belts and timing chain, and see if that makes an improvement. The starter has already went once trying to always crank over an engine that refuses to start.

14th Oct 2013, 12:31

Hi, could you tell me if you ever found the cause of this problem? My daughter has the same problem, and is getting silly answers from the garage.

Thanks, Ann.