1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE Quad 4 from North America

Summary:

A rip off lemon that looks decent and drives decent in a straight line

Struts/suspension very noisy

Steering VERY Stiff feels like I have no power steering!

Engine sounds like a sewing machine

Leaks about a quart of oil a week

Exhaust noisy - $400+ to fix needs catalytic converter

Oil pan leaking would require engine to be removed to fix

Dash rattles and squeaks like a mouse

The car sounds like its going to fall apart going 10-15 MPH over any railroad tracks or slight bumps in road.

General Comments:

A mistake! My 91 prizm had 70,000 miles and drove much nicer than this 94 vehicle even though it did have a minor power steering leak. This grand am leaks about a quart of oil all the over the driveway. This car is a LEMON sure it drives OK in a straight line, but you'll build arm muscles trying to turn with the stiff squeaky steering. Maybe I got a bad one of the batch although many other reviews suggest otherwise, but now on I'm sticking with Toyota / Honda / Nissan, possibly even Ford. I'm NOT impressed with this GM vehicle, I hope for their sake their newer vehicles are built better.

Review Date: 17th April, 2005

18th Apr 2005, 19:45

I'm not normally a GM defender, but didn't you have this car looked at before you bought it? I find it odd that all of those problems could spring up simultaneously, within a couple thousand miles. Most cars will be in poor shape after 10 years if the original owner (s) neglect it, not just GM's.

24th Apr 2005, 02:16

I apologize to pontiac for this review I recently found out from a carfax report that my car had 103,000 miles listed on it in 2001 and now it has only 71,000 miles in the odometer! Wow, fraud really sucks!

2nd Oct 2008, 18:52

We have a Grand Am with the quad 4, and yes I was told not to get one because of what everyone said about them, but I bought one with 170 thousand on it, it was the best car I could ask for for being in high school. This car actually flew for a little 4 banger, it hit 110 mph without a problem.

Yes I did look it over really well before it was bought. Now I am proud to say my 18 year old sister is driving it still to this day, and I have been graduated for over a year now.

Now it has 195,000 on it, and the engine not made one tick or knock ever, even at -20F. It's been through 14 Maine winters, and all we have replaced so far since ownership is the gas tank.

Its interesting to know that it's the first computer engineered engine GM had; it runs and performs so well.

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4 cylinder. from North America

Summary:

The 1994 Grand Am SE is definitely a success!

My head gasket blew at 90,000 miles.

Fog lights often go out.

Driver side window came off tracks.

A few squeaks in the car starting around 85,000 miles.

General Comments:

Not much has done wrong with this car, that could go wrong.

I love my Grand Am, and I'll tell my kids how swell it was when I got it.

It is a dependable car, and has went through thick and thin the 25,000 miles that I've had it. Long trips, and lots of short ones didn't slow me down a bit.

I love the sporty look and the nice little power that comes with the package.

The things that have gone wrong with my car are common in many other also, so I don't blame it for the way it is aging.

I can't imagine having a more fun, fast, dependable little car ever. It was just a delight to drive every time I got in it.

Review Date: 31st March, 2005