1994 Pontiac Grand Am Reviews - Page 7 of 24

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2.3 single overhead cam from North America

Engine and transmission 2.3 single overhead cam Automatic
Previous carNissan Maxima

Summary:

A bolt of lightning with one powerful punch and that's it

At about 142,000 miles the alternator went bad and the coils that run the automatic distributor began to go. Now, at about 145,790 the transmission is slipping and the linkage needs to be replaced before I can't drive the car. The car also is slowly getting worse on gas mileage.

General Comments:

This is a good first driver car, but that's about all.

Don't expect to save money with this car your better off racing than driving normally because the power it packs with such a small engine.

I enjoy the handling and power, but not in the snow.

Curves are no problem at all so far I have taken one at about 65 to 75 miles per hour without fish tailing.

Review Date: 22nd March, 2005

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2.3L from North America

Engine and transmission 2.3L Automatic
Distance when acquired62000 miles
Most recent distance82000 miles
Previous carPontiac Grand Prix

Summary:

I love my little car!!

The power steering belt has needed to be tightened twice.

The Oxygen Sensor needed to be replaced.

There was a hole One of the tubes going to the engine. (i don't know much about cars.)

General Comments:

The car takes turns VERY well.

It accelerates quickly.

It's very good on gas.

Review Date: 10th January, 2005

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 3.1 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.1 V6 Automatic
Previous carOldsmobile Ciera

Summary:

The Grand Am is a very unreliable vehicle

ECM Prom Error at 106,000 miles.

Electrical problems off an on from 106,000 miles to present.

Shocks/Struts at 110,000 miles.

Transmission slippage around 111,000 miles.

Water pump at 125,000.

Now at 127,000 miles the car is literally drinking anti-freeze with no leaks in the coolant system.

General Comments:

I purchased my Grand Am in May 2004. Immediately after I drove it off the lot I began to have problems. When I was driving down the highway I noticed the 'Service Engine Soon' idiot light came on. I immediately brought it to my mechanic. We hooked it up-to the diagnostic computer. At the top of a very long list of problems was an ECM Prom Error. After that I had the car inspected and tested. As expected, the car failed. I returned to the dealer. They said they would fix any problem that 'their mechanic finds'. That meant just a valve. Now it seems that when I fix one thing, another part needs to be fixed or replaced. I have started to look for a new vehicle.

On the upside however, the car handles rather well. There is plenty of power in the engine. Too much power in slick conditions.

Review Date: 5th January, 2005

7th Jan 2005, 18:53

I had an 18 year old car before this one and had absolutely no problems with it.

2nd Feb 2005, 12:00

Seven years ago, I bought a 1994 Grand Am, 2 door, manual 5 speed transmission. I have been satisfied with the performance of this car until last year, when I was told that the head gasket needed to be replaced. That was a $1500 charge I wasn't prepared to put into the car. For the seven years I drove the car, I never had to replace the timing belt, the clutch or any of the other major things. I did have to do some repair work, but nothing really major, water pump, gas pump, things that normally go wrong on a car. the windows, however, on this car are off track, and although I paid twice to have the one on the driver's side fixed, when it gets really cold outside, it breaks again if you try to roll it down against its very strong will.

All in all, if I found another grand am manual transmission that was affordable, I'd buy it.

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2.3L Quad 4 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.3L Quad 4 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Astro

Summary:

Nice, Expensive to repair, a lemon

When I first got the car, I had to replace the hub bering. That was about $60 dollars. Then a week later the brakes failed. I got those replaced for about $150 dollars from a friend. I put a new thermostat in it and it still stays over 220 Degrees. One day I was driving down the road when the rear view mirror fell off. One day I was at the store and my car would not start. I had to go get a new timing chain. Maybe about 2 weeks later I was at the car wash cleaning out my Grand Am, when I got done and I went to start the car I started making a REALLY LOUD knocking sound. I drove it home (witch made things worse) and the car would not start. I got it check out and I blew the head on it. That was about $800 dollars to fix it. One week later to that day I went to the grocery store and came out and the new head blew on it so I had the tow truck take it to the junk yard.

General Comments:

I only had this car for about a month and it was nice comfortable and gas was good. I will NEVER purchase another Quad 4 again.

Review Date: 14th November, 2004