1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT 3.1 liter V6 from Mexico

Summary:

A worthless piece of junk

Bad head gasket at 90,200 miles.

AC doesn't work at all.

Burned up 2 AC compressors within two months.

Starter want bad at 94,500.

Water leak in back and passenger side windows.

Windshield wiper motor seized up on me during a rain storm.

Car has a knock now at 95,000.

The dashboard gauges all failed around 92,000, but all fixed now.

General Comments:

The car gets 22mpg or more.

But it's uncomfortable to drive. It shakes when it goes over 60mph on the highway.

Review Date: 24th January, 2012

26th Jan 2012, 06:55

Almost any 16 year old volume production car with high mileage, will be worthless junk by now.

1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT 3.1L V6 from North America

Summary:

Strong runner and solid car, but has a few common malfunctions/downfalls

I will start off by saying that car had several issues when I bought it.

Water leaked onto the driver side carpet and it was often wet. I discovered that the water was leaking through the air blower motor on the firewall, as the gasket seal had worn out. The previous owner tried hiding and/or remedying it with a piece of plastic and some black tape... so I inherited the problem. It was an easy fix by using sealant and covering the blower with some insulation tape, but it took forever to find the source of the leak.

Another problem I inherited was that both the power windows were not functioning, which I have found to be very common on this model.

The driver's door needed a new lifter, which was bent, and motor. The passenger side window just needed a new fuse.

Another issue was the rack and pinion steering system. One end had rusted which caused a leak of the power steering fluid. Eventually the end burst and the whole rack and pinion had to be replaced, which was a hell of a job to do, as it took two people 8 hours.

I also had to replace the heater core, which began leaking.

The car currently has a small coolant leak and I haven't been able to pinpoint its origin. I don't feel inclined to put time and money into it, as it just requires the coolant reservoir to be filled up every couple of weeks.

Other than that, the car has held up nicely for a car nearing 200,000 miles. Luckily my dad and I have auto knowledge and did all these repairs ourselves, which has saved us a lot of money. :)

General Comments:

Keep in mind that though I have only owned this car for 5,000 of the 186,000, I had inherited some of the earlier problems that developed.

Mechanically this car is as good a runner as I have seen. It is nearing 200,000 miles and is still running strong with no engine issues.

This is my first car, and have enjoyed it a lot. It offers reasonable power with the V6, and is bearable at as far as MPGs go, averaging about 22-23 MPGs, but my driving is almost exclusively city stop-and-go driving (not to mention I like to "get on it" every once in awhile!).

Handling is good, though I noticed the suspension is rather stiff, which can be pretty bumpy on the bad roads.

In the Wisconsin winters, it does good in the snow, as the FWD offers good traction.

The interior is acceptable, and the seats are relatively comfortable. I do agree that the cup holder is badly positioned, but I like the fold-out ones above the glove box. Cosmetically it's holding up great, with no rust to be seen.

Despite the few problems that I have encountered, the Grand Am is a solid car and strong runner, considering it is 15 years old and nearing 200K miles.

Review Date: 19th August, 2009

1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT 16v QUAD 4 DOHC from North America

Summary:

LOVE IT!

My Bright Red Sweetheart 1994 Pontiac GT Coupe HO 16v QUAD 4.

When I first got the car oil pump went, dealer said Pontiac was having problems with those pumps they replaces the engine which shot a rod due to oil starvation which would happen to any car and never had a problem again.

The alternator went out about 10-11 years ago replaces again by yours truly with life time warranty aftermarket part and still to date no issues with that either.

About 5-6 years ago the linkage for the gear shifter broke so I couldn't get it out of gear, still she got me all the way home in second gear with the flashers on. Dealer wanted $500.00 for the part, went to a salvage yard pulled one out of a Beretta GT for $20.00 did the work myself again which was a little harder running it through the firewall but no problems to date.

The starter went out 4 years ago it's a little harder job due to its location but did the work again myself and again to date no other starting problems cost, just the part which again has life time warranty form the manufacturer.

Last summer had to change the serpentine belt because it began to squeak after 13 years so I figured why not change the power steering belt while in there, again life time warranty parts I can say this has been a good little car couldn't ask for more.

Most recently the driver's window quit working at 105,000, replaced the window motor myself cost to me just the motor, which once again has a lifetime warranty.

Besides wipers, oil, fuel, tires, belts which should all get changed a certain maintenance scheduling this car has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. By the way we even gave her a name “Trigger” just like The Lone Rangers horse she has never left me stranded!

General Comments:

Bottom line, a little more room in the back seats would have been nice and maybe even a little better quality plastic dashboard GM is notorious for cheap plastic.

For looks it's a good looking little car with the ground affects and dual exhaust and handling for the price, it well worth it.

Hey here's some food for thought my last car was a Honda Civic will never own one again worst thing on 4 wheels.

Review Date: 20th April, 2008