1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2.0L from North America

Summary:

Paid 600$, but worth 6 million to me... and I know cars

Only thing I've had to worry about was a starter... what a pain to replace.

I've done the usual stuff: brakes, tune up, oil changes every 7500km (synthetic oil), tires.

The clutch is worn, but not ready to give out... I'd say 30% clutch left.

The car gets about 950-1000km to a tank, and when gas prices were 1.24$ per litre, it cost me about 65$ to fill.

It runs a bit rich, but doesn't lack power... the 2.0L is rated for 90 HP, so you can't expect a race car.

The syncro is going out when shifting into third... but I'm gonna change the STF with Royal Purple.

The battery has been replaced, but that was my fault.

Rust issues, but it's Alberta, every car has rust at this age... cold in winter and hot in summer, but she runs and I know she won't let me down.

Just as preventative maintenance; I'm going to do timing belt and water pump at 285000km. My dad has the exact same car; his only issue is lack of heat in winter, the starter, and the water pump. He has 450000, but he beats on the car everyday and he finally parked it...

General Comments:

Awesome car, tough. Yeah, she has some issues, but let's see another car take the abuse of a very nasty gravel road for 10 years, and the owner who bags on it from 100,000 to 450,000 when he retired the car. Never had any issues with mine except the starter... and the dashboard lift haha...

Review Date: 16th December, 2014

1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2.0L 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Crap

Clutch went at 250000kms.

Head gasket blew at 251000kms.

Bent pushrod at 252500kms.

Power locks work a quarter of the time.

Seemed like spark plugs oil fouled every time you turned the key.

General Comments:

The car was fairly comfy for my size and height (5'7" 180lbs).

The car was quick for its Kms and shape.

Would have been a good car if it would actually work. I would expect repairs from a vehicle this old with this high of mileage, but not this many in this short of time, I would not recommend buying one of these for a used car.

Review Date: 30th October, 2010

1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE 3.1L V6 from North America

Summary:

Amazing, best first car ever!

The only thing I can say that my amazing 1994 Sunbird has had a problem with is the sway bars. Those things keep breaking and I don't know why. I don't think my driving is crazy enough for them to break... Other than the sway bars I would re-buy this car over and over, it's freaking amazing!!! It can get up and go for sure, I love it!

General Comments:

This car can go VROOM! It gets up and goes when I need it to, and the handling on it is second to none. I love it and never wanna give it up.. though I know I will eventually move up to a nicer BMW!

Review Date: 3rd December, 2009

4th Dec 2009, 14:03

Yes those 15 year old Sunbird's sure are amazing. :)

Seriously though, I want to thank you for not using that overused word "awesome" and ask you how many sway bars did you break in 2500 miles of driving?

30th Jun 2012, 14:00

I absolutely agree, not my first car, however this is the best little sports car I own, and it rips half the cars on the road.

About to give her a nice high mileage oil change and clean out the fuel injector.. Any ideas on how to make her a better performer?

1994 Pontiac Sunbird 2.0L from North America

Summary:

Reliable, good, cheap (to own, and fix) car

Within the first year I had my clutch, clutch master cylinder, and heater core go.

I did the clutch myself for less than $150, and the other stuff ran about five hundred. Not too bad... til the clutch went again. Probably due to some shoddy work done by myself (first time ever working on transmission myself).

I don't like the way the panels seem to want to just fall apart like a puzzle, like the plastic panels below the steering wheel.

The unlock buttons just failed me, as did the rear window defrosters.

The suspension in front and back is also shot. But the car has 230,000 miles on it, and I don't see it stopping anytime soon with the way I drive and take care of it.

General Comments:

Everyone seems to think that my Sunbird is the most comfortable car to sit in.

I drove this car to and from North Dakota and New York a few times without even once worrying if it would make it. The MPG is awesome.

Review Date: 27th February, 2009