1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE 3.1 from North America

Summary:

It's a fun sporty little coupe

I have not had many problems with this car. The previous owner kept this car in incredible shape.

I did have to replace the front speakers. One of them was blown, but the stock stereo sounds even better now with better speakers.

The only thing that I have seen that is broken is the passenger seat lever. The wire that connects both sides of the locking mechanism broke, so you kinda have to fiddle with it to change the seat position. More annoying problem than actual problem.

General Comments:

I really like this car; it is much faster than my 1981 Mustang.

I like the way this car feels when you drive it. The steering is sharp and precise.

The A/C is extremely cold, so that most times I have to change the temperature gauge.

The fuel economy is a whole lot better than my Mustang. It could be better though. Right now I am trying various fuel injector cleaners. The first one I have used so far has already helped. It's hard to tell exactly how much it has helped because I was stuck in a hours worth of traffic, so that hurt my initial test, so now I have to wait to fill up again.

Review Date: 19th August, 2007

1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE 3.1L V6 from North America

Summary:

Very good first car, but it is sheer luck finding one in good condition

When I bought it I had to replace all the fluids in it because I was not sure how long they were sitting.

I had a short in my electrical system and every time I put in a fuse for the courtesy system, it would blow in under ten seconds.

My TCC solenoid in my transmission was buggy, and the car would feel as if it was going to stall upon coming to a stop.

Clicks in the engine due to sludge buildup.

Horn did not work.

Seats recline, but because it is a two door, when you push the seat back and try to lock it, only the bottom part would lock, so you could push the back rest part forewards and backwards freely.

General Comments:

Very fun to drive.

The 3.1 gives it plenty of go when you need it.

It also sounds mean.

Controls are in easy reach and are easy to read.

Perfect size for my height and size.

Handles alright, will handle better once I install tighter springs.

Over all a pleasure to drive.

Review Date: 16th July, 2007

1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE 3.1-V6 from North America

Summary:

Underestimated on performance

The only thing to go wrong with my Sunbird in the 4 months I have owned it was the transmission.

I was driving along and it stuck in fourth and would only shift down if I used it as 1, 2, 3 and then drive.

Old lady driven, not been punished.

General Comments:

The previous owner before I owned it was a mechanic and put on a performance exhaust on and it sounds rely beefy.

The 3.1-V6 has very impressive acceleration and a ton of low end torque and I fully intend on adding cold air and a turbocharger.

Review Date: 13th March, 2007

1994 Pontiac Sunbird SE 2.0 V6 4 cilinder from Israel

Summary:

Never buy Pontiac or GM

I have a red Pontiac Sunbird SE 1994 2.000- V6 in Israel. I changed a lot of parts and invested 600 USD in the car in the first week.

I have a problem - it turns off after 1 hour of driving. I have to wait 40 minutes until I can drive again. I don't know if it's an overheating problem, because I don't see an overheating problem in the car.

I have changed all the car oil, water, anything that can cause heating problems when the car is off. It's a garbage car with a lot of problems, but when it runs, it's great.

If someone can help me fix the problem? I undestand that a lot of Pontiac Sunbirds have this same overheating problem?

General Comments:

Overheating problem. Never buy a Pontiac Sunbird; go for a Chevrolet Corsica as it's much better, or a japanese car. American cars are not what they used to be, just garbage.

But what can I do, I love american cars. I've owned in the past almost any american car ever built and I love american cars.

I will never buy a Pontiac or a GM in my life again.

Review Date: 27th February, 2007

27th Feb 2007, 08:25

Its probably a computer circuit overheating problem!!! Seen it in some fords before, engine quits after an hour or two of driving. Wait awhile till everything cools, and engine restarts and runs fine. Any knowledgable technician should know right away which component to replace. And you're complaining about a 13 yr old car? More than half are in thejunkyard, your problem is relatively minor, be thankful.

23rd May 2008, 03:03

Well I had same problems with mine too kept stalling after 30 minutes, and needed to wait about 1 hour to start again. I spent around 2000$ trying to fix it and nobody could fix it. I did change the fuel pump. distributor, computer, and many other parts and nothing worked, so in the end I donated it to charity.