2001 Pontiac Sunfire Reviews - Page 3 of 9

2001 Pontiac Sunfire from North America

Model year2001
Distance when acquired120000 kilometres
Most recent distance195000 kilometres

Summary:

Good 1st car for students or low income individuals

The only major problem that I have had was with the brakes. I've had to replace the whole brake system 2-3 times since I purchased it.

Windshield recently cracked for no apparent reason, as well as the sun visor and rear window crank broke off; from over usage I'm sure.

General Comments:

This is my first car, and I enjoy the look and feel of the car.

I have to frequently change the brakes and tires, however, I do travel a lot for work. This year alone I updated all the brake system, which cost around $1500 Canadian, but it was worth the investment.

I has been in a few small accidents and the body has held up well. The frame is still strong with very little rusting.

I'm looking to purchase a new car, but would definitely recommend a Sunfire to first time car owners and those with a limited budget (students or lower income families).

I rely on this car everyday, and it has yet to let me down.

Review Date: 11th August, 2009

2001 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2.4 Liter from North America

Engine and transmission 2.4 Liter Automatic
Previous carSaturn SL

Summary:

This is my first Pontiac -- and probably my last

I replaced the fuel filter 2 months after I bought the car, but continued to have starting problems. When I rapped the fuel tank with a 2 X 4 while my wife turned over the engine, the car started. I then had the fuel pump replaced, which eliminated my starting problems.

The problem I'm having now is the service engine light, the ABS light, and the Trac Off light all come on simultaneously after I've driven several miles, and will stay on until I turn off the engine. After I restart the engine, the warning lights will stay off for approximately one minute, then come back on. The master cylinder needed a little brake fluid, so I added some.

Unfortunately, the warning lights continue to come on after driving several miles. Any ideas?

General Comments:

The 2.4 Liter engine is really peppy, quicker than any of my previous 4-cylinder engine vehicles.

But I do have difficulty climbing into the front seat -- no head room.

Review Date: 26th March, 2008

16th May 2012, 17:27

Those 3 lights together usually means a wheel speed sensor is gone.

2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2.2 from North America

Model year2001
Year of manufacture1999
Most recent distance112000 kilometres

Summary:

Good starter car, but get a warranty!

My car won't start all the time. I've replaced my fuel pump module. Still looking into it.

My positive and negative terminals corroded completely and was leaking acid onto my battery.

My windshield washer fluid line cracked and caused all of my washer fluid to drain.

I have a rattle on the front passenger side when I accelerate, which causes the car to shake.

Terrible when idling, feels like I'm getting a back massage (dealership said it was normal and refused to look at my car)

Stupid things like all of my vents broke, parts of my drivers side door are falling off, springs are poking through my interior, both sides are lifting on my back seat, looks like a half circle.

When switching to reverse from park, its hard. Doesn't want to switch gears very well.

Feels like I've lost a lot of power, doesn't pick up well.

General Comments:

It's a good car, but I would get a warranty, do not buy a sunfire without one!

Great on gas, good on highway driving, picks up good.

Things seem to go wrong all at the same time, so be prepared!

Other than the petty things, the only big concern is it not starting!

Overall, it's a good starter car. Every car has its problems. I love it because its my first, so I don't want to give it up, but I don't think I would buy another one.

Review Date: 1st March, 2008

2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE from North America

Engine and transmission Manual

Summary:

Great..what's everybody talking about?

The car has been great actually. I was warned by someone not to buy a Pontiac Sunfire, but I have been very happy. Maybe the previous owner fixed all of the problems. I haven't had any major issues yet with anything. I take it in for regular checks & oil changes etc.. maybe that's what has kept it going so well. I also don't abuse anything on it in any way. It accelerates a bit slow uphill, but haven't complained about the performance on the straight road, though it's not a race car.

General Comments:

It's very good. No complaints!

Review Date: 7th January, 2008

8th Jan 2008, 12:23

I am curious, is your car made in the U. S or mexico? I have a made in the U.S.A Cavalier and have no problems. I think there is a quality issue with Cavaliers and Sunfires that were manufactured in Mexico.