2001 Pontiac Sunfire Reviews - Page 9 of 9

2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2.4 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Previous carPlymouth Sundance

Summary:

A really good first car

This car was under warranty when I experienced these problems, so I don't know what the cost would or should have been.

The brake pedal has a distinct "click" when it is depressed. This drives me crazy! The dealer said "this is supposed to function like that."

Sunroof started leaking immediately after the car was delivered. The problem was the seal around the windshield. They resealed the windshield, but did not finish it properly. After they fixed it, there were dents on the trim, wind and snow actually came through too! I had to get this fixed again.

After driving for over an hour, there would be a loud squeal coming from under the hood. It sounded like it was coming from the lower front right area. The dealer could never figure this one out.

My air conditioning could not be turned off when the climate control was in "windshield defrost" position or "flow through" position.

Bumpers were really delicate. Someone just bumped me from behind in a parking lot and it left $645 damage.

Also, the dealer lost my antenna at their car wash. What a pain.

General Comments:

My Sunfire had 150 hp and the 5 speed getrag transmission. It handled very well, and had good performance for the value.

Interior controls were good except one thing: the fan off position should be with the fan speed selection. It was with the other control for windshield defrost, bi-level, floor etc. What were they thinking? Also, the cup holders were great, but they blocked some controls if you had a beverage in there.

Review Date: 18th June, 2002

12th Apr 2003, 09:43

My Sunfire had a terrible squeeking noise from the front, turned out to be the strut mounts were worn, they now have an updated 'hockey puck' that replaces the old ones. Also had a growling noise from the front wheel, heard mostly while in curves, turned out to be a bearing had worn out. Also had a clunk in the steering wheel, turned out to be a lack of grease in the steering wheel shaft universal joint. All problems were fixed under warranty. I really like my Sunfire.

2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE Coupe 2.2 - 4 cylinder from North America

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 2.2 - 4 cylinder Automatic

Summary:

Well... I could afford it!

I have had two flat tires already. (not my fault, a manufacturer defect).

The transmission does not seem to work correctly.

The rear de-fog wire melted (broken defrost)!

My rear speakers used cut out all the time, and now they don't work at all.

General Comments:

I like the appearance of the car, it handles well, and it accelerates well (when the transmission is not acting up).

The seats have absolutely no lumbar support.

Stereo system kinda sucks ass.

Review Date: 31st October, 2001

2001 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan 4 cylinder from North America

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carGeo Prizm

Summary:

Cheap to buy, cheaply made

Car is already having transmission problems. Its also running hot. Hubcaps are cheap looking.

General Comments:

This car a lot of pep but I don't even have 2000 miles on this car yet and its already ran hot on me twice and the transmission isn't acting right either. I had a 1990 Prizm before it and it had 236,000 miles when I traded it and it never ran hot the whole 12 years I had the car.

Review Date: 17th June, 2001

6th Oct 2003, 10:20

I also have a Pontiac Sunfire. It is a 1999, and has always run hot. You should of course replace the thermostat, as once this was done on mine it fixed that problem. But, now I have transmission problems also. I shifted into reverse, heard a "clunk" noise and now I have no gears at all. The AAMCO people spoke with me on the phone and feel it is shot. $2,500 to $2,800 to fix! Run, trade in your car before it's too late. I have just 50,000 well maintained miles on my car, and now it's just falling to pieces.