1996 Toyota Camry DX 2.2 liter from North America

These Camry's are built like tanks!

None of my major repairs were done at the dealer. Except for the timing belt they were usually hundreds more in their estimates for the work.

Clutch at about 160 000kms. Cost me about $600.

Radiator went at the same time as the clutch.

About the same time I had to change the electric motor for the front passenger side window. That cost $500. Ouch!

At about 200 000kms the AC stopped working, I never got it fixed.

Front shocks were replaced a few of years ago, at about 210 000kms. Cost about $600.

I found the brakes lasted forever. 140 000kms on the back and about 80 000 - 100 000kms.

It needs the rear shocks replaced, but at this point it is pretty much a beater and I am reluctant to put any money into it.

General Comments:

I bought this car off my 74 year old mother when she could no longer work the clutch. She bought another Camry to replace it. It was like new when I got it, she never took it over 90kms an hour (60mph). I was much harder on it and it started to cost me when the rad and clutch went. This car is definitely a grand-ma's car, but other than the pretty routine repairs mentioned above it has been bullet-proof. It is very reliable and really well built. It is even still on its original stainless steel exhaust system!

For a Japanese car it is big and heavy with a very soft smooth ride. This one, being a manual 5speed it is surprisingly quick.

Looks wise, the interior has been very long wearing, but the exterior has suffered from our salty winters here in Eastern Canada. Most of the lower panels are galvanized so they do not rust easily even when the paint started to flake off, but above the windshield on the roof there is a bad rust spot that has been growing for 4-5 years. I noticed other Camry's have the same problem.

At 260 000kms I am not too worried about the body outlasting the mechanicals. The engine is good and uses no oil, but everything else is starting to feel and sound like an old taxi. Bumpy and rattly. I would buy another one with low miles on it in a second. I love this car. Great for camping, road-trips and super comfortable for commuting.

Review Date: 23rd June, 2009

1st May 2013, 22:59

My 1996 Camry LE 4 cylinder has over 316,000 miles on it!

1996 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L 5S-FE from North America

One tough S.O.B of a car

Nothing major just regular maintenance:

- Oil Changes 5000 Km.

- Timing Belt Just done 1 yr ago.

- Coolant maintained.

- Radiator has been replaced 8 months ago.

- CV Joints Left 1 time (3 months ago), Right 2 Times.

- Power windows few fixes here and there.

- Wipers.

- Just drained Transaxle Fluid.

- Spark Plugs.

Brakes: rear drums have been replaced completely.

Brakes: front discs been replaced completely.

K&N Air filter!

Water Pump.

General Comments:

Awesome car, dad drove it to work every day for 7 years ran perfect. Never broke down on him.

Now it's mine, got it with 410000 km, the thing is a cruiser and is EXTREMELY reliable. No rust on the body, its in great condition.

I think Toyota has to have one of the best powertrains in the game.

Car may not be the fastest, but it's a solid commuting car with very good gas economy.

Its inline 4, 2.2 Liter engine is great.

Sound system is good.

Review Date: 10th November, 2008

1996 Toyota Camry Coupe 2.2L NA from North America

The ultimate work horse

Unexpected Items:

Passenger Side power window motor

Driver side door exterior door handle

Dome light.

General Comments:

The 5SFE motor in this thing is probably the most over engineered unit for its time.

Just to list a few facts:

1. The crank shaft is forged, and it's capable of handling much more torque than what Toyota gave it credit for.

2. It has a very cleverly designed oil cooler, on start up, the coolant warms the oil, and the other way around when the oil gets hot.

3. Although it's design some 15 years ago, it had 2 oxygen sensors to make sure the engine's always running cleanly and efficiently.

All this means, is that, it will last and last and last...

Servicing this car is amazingly easy, doesn't need to be raised to change oil (the filter is right on top), replacing the water pump is a 30 minutes job if you have the right tools (5 hours without...).

I get 32mpg on highway with AC on, going... well, same speed everyone else drive on hwy 5. Only 22mpg in local streets though.

All in all, this is not a very exciting car, but it sure has lots of characters, I wish Toyota can design something with this much character again. Doesn't look like it's going to happen though.

Review Date: 5th October, 2008

7th Oct 2008, 23:52

There is no Camry coupe as such. Is your car a Solara? (basically the same thing as a Camry coupe).

11th Oct 2008, 18:43

I'm the original poster:

I have no idea why it showed up as a sad face. I like the car very much. and I never CHOSE a sad face... I just said I won't buy another Toyota (because nowadays they are as interesting as any shopping cart)

In 96, it's still called a coupe, from 97 up, it's a solara.

Not quite true about the oil cooler, coolant runs around the cylinder bore, and oil circulates through crank shaft then to the head, and drain straight down.

If you have oil temperature gauge in the pan (Or install it where the pressure sensor goes), you will be surprised just how much the temperature lags behind coolant. This heat exchanger definitely helps the engine warm up evenly.