1996 Toyota Camry Reviews - Page 5 of 8

1996 Toyota Camry SE from North America

Model year1996
Year of manufacture1996

Summary:

You get your money's worth

"Taillight out" light started coming on randomly at about 75000 miles for no reason.

Transmission is worrying me. It jumps at about 40 miles per hour and 60mph. It'll have a hard time reaching 65 miles per hour, for instance, then it'll very suddenly jump from 60 to 65.

Low ground clearance, speed bumps usually hit the undercarriage, and no, I don't fly through them.

General Comments:

It has general wear and tear, but I definitely don't regret buying it.

I'm a college student and this is definitely an A to B car. No frills and it doesn't take off when you floor, because it is 10 years old, but it is pretty reliable and gets the job done.

Fabulous gas mileage. I drive mostly highway and I get about 35 miles per gallon. It has a pretty big gas tank- 18.5 gallons.

Surprisingly large trunk.

It's overall comfortable.

I had to pay for it myself after freshman year and got my money's worth. Can't say the women flock to it, but that's not why I bought the car.

Review Date: 2nd January, 2006

11th Jul 2008, 13:18

My 94 Buick Regal's transmission does the exact same thing, jumping a bit in the 43-49mph and 62-70mph. It did this when I got the car at 74k, and is still doing it now at 130k, no changes, no problems, etc. Unless it gets progressively worse over time, I wouldn't worry about it.

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4.0 Cylinder from North America

Model year1996
Year of manufacture1995
First year of ownership1995
Engine and transmission 4.0 Cylinder Automatic
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

Best friend I have

The antenna quit going up and down at 110,000 miles. I had the electric wire cut and now I raise it manually.

I replaced the timing belt every 90,000 to 100,000 miles. (preventative maintenance)

Trip odometer quit at about 150,000.

I had to have some seals and tie rods replaced at about 190,000 miles.

The paint wore off the windshield wipers at 190,000 but black spray paint works great.

At about 200,000 I started having trouble getting it to go out of park. The dealership told me about a secret trick where you stick a screwdriver in the little slot above the shifter to release it. This trick worked great for about 4 months, then the problem just went away!!!

At about 250,000 tie rods again and motor mount replaced and seals. Also a water pump around this time. It never broke down, it just started making little noises and I knew it needed attention.

At 350,000 miles the radiator started steaming with a small crack on top. I had this replaced for about $450.

The exterior door handle on drivers side broke at 365,000. I was able to purchase an unpainted one for $26 and have it painted and installed for $69.

At 370,000, the pin stripes started to peel so I replaced them my self for $23.00 (first time ever. looked great)

The hood is now starting to weather some, but a good coat of wax really helped.

General Comments:

The seat is a little uncomfortable, but I drive 3 hours a day. I started having problems with my right hip.

Everything else still works. Sunroof, stereo, ratio, CD. cruise control.

The car has been very reliable. Gas mileage has declined over time, but still reasonable. It started using 1/2 quart oil after 250,000.

It feels like one of the family. I can't imagine selling it. It still runs smoothly and quietly and I expect another 200,000 miles... at least. :)

Review Date: 21st July, 2005

6th May 2006, 09:38

Wow it would be amazing if my Camry lasts over 300,000 miles. I currently have 120,000 miles on it and it runs brand new. Nothing is mechanically wrong with it. Gas mileage kind of stinks and acceleration is poor, but other than that this car is a dream come true.