1996 Toyota Camry xle v6 3.0L V6 from North America

Summary:

This is a very reliable car and I recommend you get one

As of now nothing has gone wrong, for it only had 20000 miles when I got it from my mother.

General Comments:

The Camry is a nice car and in this year the V6 model has the same motor as the Lexus ES300. The car could use a lot more power though. It lacks power for a V6. A lot of people with this car say the air has a funny odor, which mine has the same problem. I have heard from smelling like rotten eggs to mildew. Mine smells like mildew. The leather seats are firm and have good support. The cabin is noisy on the highway and the car gets rough once you get over 80mph.

Review Date: 28th December, 2004

1996 Toyota Camry V6 XLE 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

Considering the interior problems, I am not likely to ever buy another Toyota

Within the first 10,000 miles, the left side speaker cover fell off.

At 40,000 the automatic antenna quit going down, so the motor whirs pointlessly every time the ignition key is turned off.

At 44,000 miles the left side sun visor broke off.

This has been a garage kept car, driven only 5-6 times per week.

General Comments:

The v6 is very peppy on the level ground. The firm seats are very comfortable.

Review Date: 29th October, 2004

1st Nov 2004, 10:16

So, in eight years some plastic trim pieces broke and the power antenna stopped working?

Yep, sounds like enough reason to NOT buy another Toyota all right.

27th Apr 2005, 19:55

All you need to fix antenna is a $25.00 mast. Simple repair.

11th Dec 2005, 09:04

I think you should try and sell or maybe even donate your car to an American manufacturer if, after 8 years, this is all that's gone wrong.

1996 Toyota Camry DX 2.2L 4-cylinder (5S-FE) from North America

Replaced timing belt shortly after purchase for preventative maintenance.

Check engine light on at 210,000 miles: plugging catalytic converter. Not replaced. Heat shield rattling.

Rear sway bar bushing replaced at about 218,000 miles. Advised of various leaking seals: not fixed due to small amount of oil loss and high cost of repair.

My previous Toyota also had a few leaks. That was really the only problem I had with it (other than rust and a starter).

General Comments:

This car has more "get up and go" than my previous Corolla with automatic transmission. It is really a good car and insurance is reasonable for the under 25 year old crowd, as I am (the Camry demographic is typically 40-50 year olds). Also, operating and maintenance costs are low (dealer very helpful and reasonable even though I bought at an auction for a very good deal).

I would definitely buy a 3rd Toyota, though they aren't typically the most stylish of the bunch.

Review Date: 22nd September, 2004

1996 Toyota Camry CSI 2.2 4 cylinder petrol EFI from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

An economic family car with cheap running costs

Oil leaks from sump. minor drips.

Seal inside transmission caused a leak at about 130000. removal of gearbox to replace seal. ($2000)

General Comments:

Relaiable car.

Amazing fuel economy.

Cheap running costs.

Doesn't break down like other Australian family cars.

Comfortable seats (no headrests on rear seats.)

Excellent handling.

Responsive steering.

Perfect suspension.

Review Date: 3rd April, 2004

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Great used car to purchase

The drivers side door handle has broken, still can be used to open, but it is difficult now to do so. The paint on rear spoiler has faded and does not match the rest of the car as well as it should. (Someone has told me that this has happened due to the fact that it was painted at another facility other than the plant where car was assembled.)

General Comments:

Car is generally a good car. Not the fastest in the world. It does pretty well on gas if you travel on the interstate. Does not have the most power either, but it does well for a 4 cylinder.

Review Date: 6th November, 2003

1996 Toyota Camry DX 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Pleasantly surprised at its performance, economy, and reliability

Nothing, other than brakes.

General Comments:

We bought this car with nearly 150,000 miles on it, intending to resell it after my wife and daughter took it on a cross-country trip. But it drove so flawlessly that we decided to keep it.

We've put nearly 10,000 miles on it, and it has given us no problem. This is very unusual for a car with so many miles. It's peppy (peppier than my 88 Ford Crown Victoria that I bought brand new), handles nimbly, and is fun to drive.

I never particularly liked small cars, but this Camry is generations more advanced than, for example, a 79 Corolla we once had (boy, was that an underpowered and boring car to drive).

About my only complaint: You can't tell a Camry from an Accord from a Malibu from an Altima. All these little cars look alike! Come on, Toyota, put a bit of pizazz in your styling -- put some tail fins on your next model of Camry, or something.

Review Date: 6th November, 2003