1996 Toyota Camry LE 2.2 from North America

Summary:

The nicest car I've ever owned

The car was in need of general maintenance when purchased.

The fuel filter was the original and was replaced.

The distributor cap and rotor were clogged with carbon deposits the size of pencil erasers, and was replaced.

The headliner was sagging and I reattached it.

It had the original plugs and wires, which I replaced.

The air filter was really dirty and I replaced it.

A few of the exterior and interior moldings were starting to come off of the vehicle. I was able to reattach them and they work fine now.

There is a slight shimmy on sharp high speed turns to the left. I will deal with this at a later date.

General Comments:

We were happy with our purchase. The vehicle was extremely clean and was cared for appearance wise.

We thought the car ran great at first, but after we replaced the majority of the maintenance items, we found that the car is really fast and quite powerful for a four banger.

I'm 6'6", 335 lbs. and I find the car is really comfortable for me to drive with plenty of leg room. This is one of the reasons that we sought after the Camry to begin with.

Review Date: 23rd March, 2014

24th Mar 2014, 17:48

An 18 year old Camry is the nicest car you've ever owned?

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

I would buy another one, but I'd make sure I maintained it

I bought the car with 150,000, and 2 weeks later the check engine light came on (solenoid was broken).

3 weeks later, the brakes got so hot that it melted the plastic rims on the tires. Needed to replace the master cylinder and the brake pads.

1 week later, the check engine light came on again and it was the catalytic converter. Now it won't pass smog... $800.00 and still fixing it.

Obviously, the people didn't maintain it and I'm getting to pay for all the damage caused by lack of care.

General Comments:

I love the car, as it's very comfortable to ride in, stereo sounds great, and it rides well.

Review Date: 20th May, 2010

20th May 2010, 19:34

I agree, you probably bought a Camry that was not well maintained. I recently purchased a '96 Corolla. It has 177,000 miles. However, the person I bought it from had all of the service records. My Corolla was very well maintained, no problems as of yet. I love it.

21st May 2010, 03:00

A faulty solenoid, brakes, and catalytic converter are all wear-out parts, not caused by lack of care, and to be expected on a 14-year old car. You cannot expect perfection on a used car that old with that many miles on it. And all things considered, having just those few problems is really not that bad. Imagine the costs you may have incurred with a '96 Ford, Chevy, or Dodge! You'd be probably talking engines and transmissions.

21st May 2010, 14:49

Or a newer low mileage Honda or Toyota low mileage with trans failures and engine sludging. We bought new GM.

21st May 2010, 19:47

What was the point of posting that exactly? I can't afford a new GM myself, or any new car for that matter. If I could afford a new car though, the last car I'd be looking for is a GM.

1996 Toyota Camry LE 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

Best car ever

Major unplanned repairs have included rack and pinion at 90,000 miles; exhaust manifold at 200,000 miles.

General Comments:

I bought the car brand new with automatic, V6, A/C for $21,000. It has been incredibly reliable and really fun to drive. It now has close to 230,000 miles.

I've been good about maintenance. I do the oil change myself every 3,000 miles and started using synthetic oil (I buy Super Tech, Wal-mart's brand) at around 150,000 miles. The engine does not burn a drop of oil. I use Toyota oil filters or Mobil 1 oil filters only.

I also get the transmission oil changed every 30,000 miles, radiator water, brake fluid and power steering fluid every 30,000 miles.

Spark plugs, timing belt, and all other belts and water pump every 60,000 miles.

I only use very good gas like Exxon or Shell. I put some Marvel Mystery oil in my gas every other tankful.

I use a K&N air filter.

I wax the car by hand once a year.

I just finished a trip to Carlsbad New Mexico with my wife, and I averaged 33 mpg with the A/C on at 65 mph. That's on a six cylinder engine!

Review Date: 19th March, 2010