1995 Toyota Corolla Reviews

First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 2.0L diesel 2C Manual
Most recent distance194000 kilometres

Summary:

Great reliable car; minimal maintenance

Radiator replaced in 2011 - my fault, never changed the antifreeze.

Rear shocks replaced in 2012 - worn out.

Paint fade from mostly being parked outside - started about 2005.

Thermostat is a bugger to replace.

General Comments:

Very reliable and versatile. With better care it would be still worth $4-$5000 NZ dollars. Sadly I had to say goodbye to it when someone ran into me and the repair cost was more than its market value.

Diesel motor needed its jets cleaned after 150000k.

Clutch was never replaced. The 2.0L diesel motor gave it good torque for towing heavy loads.

The aircon was still working, but only had 2 temp modes, so not full climate control. The heater was good.

Interior is boring, but that was common for the year it was made.

Review Date: 15th August, 2013

1995 Toyota Corolla 1.3 injection from Norway

First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 1.3 injection Manual
Most recent distance242000 kilometres
Previous carOpel Vectra

Summary:

Superior quality

The car has 242 000 km on the tacho, and today I had it to the biannual EU-test. It came out with no remarks. Everything just fine!

For almost 2 years and 21000 km, I only changed a light bulb, outside of doing regular maintenance like changing the oil and filters.

Had the cam belt changed, but this was in accordance with the maintenance schedule.

I have owned Opel, VWs, a Mitsubishi and a Volvo. None of those seem to come close to the Corolla with respect to quality and reliability. It seems to be in a different league, far above those other brands mentioned, and probably most cars.

General Comments:

Super reliable, and cheap to run. It also uses about 5.25 litres / 100 km, giving 45 miles per US gallon, or less than 54 UK MPG, when used for commuting.

Best car I ever owned, by far.

Review Date: 4th June, 2013

1995 Toyota Corolla Conquest 1.8 from Australia and New Zealand

Most recent year of ownership2011
Distance when acquired152000 kilometres
Previous carFord Laser

Summary:

Great, reliable and economical car!

This car is a written-off car. I didn't realize this until after I got home with the car. However, time has proved it is a great car! This car is as reliable as I thought a Toyota should be. It hasn't had any trouble since I bought it 3 years ago, not even a little problem! Not at all!

General Comments:

The 1.8 litre engine is very strong and acceleration is decent. I have no problem driving on the highway at a speed of 110 km/hour, and it runs very smoothly with the cabin being very quiet.

The ride is comfortable thanks to its independent suspension system, both in the front and at the rear. Fuel consumption is around 9.6 L/100km in the town.

Review Date: 17th August, 2011

1995 Toyota Corolla DX 1.6 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2011
Distance when acquired182072 kilometres
Previous carToyota Tercel

Summary:

Dependable!

Cat, muffler, strut, brakes, tires, filler neck for gas tank, driver's door handle, radiator,

General Comments:

This is only my 2nd car, and I have now had it for 3 years! I have written a review on here before, stating how much I really like this car. Even though it is now 16 years old, it is still going.

As you can see from above, the amount of maintenance I had to do over the three years really is not that much. I have also done most of the maintenance myself, and I am an amateur car mechanic. This car is very easy to work on! I am very pleased with this car, and believe I will still get a couple if not more years out of this.

Review Date: 13th February, 2011

1995 Toyota Corolla DX 1.8L DOHC from North America

Engine and transmission 1.8L DOHC Automatic
Previous carHyundai Accent

Summary:

I absolutely LOVE my car!

1 - Tie rod ends replaced: I knew these would need to be replaced when I purchased the car, and saved $450 by doing the work myself.

2 - Sway bar linkages (all four): Also something I found in the pre-purchase inspection, that I did myself at a total cost of $150 for parts and 2 hours of labor.

3 - Shocks/struts (all four): One week into owning the car, I hit a bump and the shocks never released again ($800).

4 - Seat belt tensioner: Seat belt began locking in all positions, to the degree that once I had it out, I put a pin in it so it could no longer retract; still haven't replaced.

5 - Wheel bearings: Contrary to what Toyota tells you, you can replace JUST the bearing and not the whole assembly; saves over $300 in parts.

6 - Power window relay: Toyota dealership will try to get you to buy a motor; it is almost ALWAYS the relay, which saved me $150.

7 - Headlamp assembly: The pre 99' Toyota Corolla's are all known to have their headlights fog over within 100,000 miles, to the point where it can be dangerous to drive at night. Found replacements at a junk yard for $28 a piece.

8 - EGR valve/plugs: This was a very expensive but necessary fix, with a cleaning of the throttle body and a new EGR valve ($250 part MINIMUM)

9 - Clogged fuel pump/filter: Was harder than I thought it would be, but saved again over the dealer!! ($300 savings)

General Comments:

Overall I am very pleased with this purchase; I spent $1000 to replace my 2002 Hyundai Accent (WORST car decision ever in my opinion). I have put my fair share of sweat equity into it, but it runs better than my mom's 2009 Corolla!

Every older car has its quirks, and I have been very fortunate with mine. The suspension was shot when I bought the car, and I knew that, so really I have nothing to complain about, but I would advise ANYONE with this car to NOT take it to a Toyota dealer for service. They want almost three times what it's worth in labor charges and parts!!! I fix it myself using a Chilton and Haynes manual (with both you have a perfect overview of locations, easy fixes, etc that fills the gaps left by the other).

This car hadn't had it's oil changed in 4 years according to the service records that I have found by running its VIN number, and it still to this day burns NO oil between changes, and doesn't have a gasket issue.

I performed all of the fluid flushes upon purchase, and thought that the car was running funny, so I ran a diagnostic and found that the EGR was nearing the end of its life (stuck open), and the fuel filter/pump were both going out.

I've gotten many good miles out of this car so far, and for everything I have had to replace, I have NEVER been stranded! I will drive this thing until it enters Toyota Heaven, but until that day comes if it ever does, I will enjoy every bit of this AMAZING piece of engineering!

Only reason I said I don't know if I would own another one is the recent decline in Toyota quality... they just don't make em' like this anymore...

Review Date: 8th July, 2010

25th Jul 2010, 22:57

I've got a '96 Toyota Corolla DX, and I agree with you completely.

My Corolla has been great. I've only had to replace the radiator, rear sway bar links and the thermal vacuum switch. Everything else has just been basic maintenance (timing belt, accessory belts, filters, oil). The only issue I have with it now is it needs to have all 4 struts replaced. But hey, I can't complain, they're the original 14 year old struts.

By the way, my Corolla has over 180,000 miles and shows absolutely no signs of stopping anytime soon. It's gonna be a long time before that car dies.

The 1.8L 7A-FE engine is the heart of my Corolla. It's a great balance of power, efficiency and reliability. The 1.6L 4A-FE that was the standard engine in the Corolla is no different other than being a little less powerful. Strong motor and a far better design with the original iron block. I hate newer cars with aluminum engine blocks. I don't know, but aluminum just doesn't sound all that durable to me.

8th Oct 2010, 17:14

ORIGINAL REVIEWER:

My Corolla has unfortunately entered Toyota heaven much earlier than I had anticipated. While parked it was hit by a drunk driver and the insurance company totaled it out. I did end up buying the car back from my insurance company however, and parted it out for more than I originally paid for it. All in all, I got all of my money and more out of this car, even after it was totaled!

One thing to make mention of however, it had started to burn oil at the 165,000 mark and that had an effect on mileage (nominal really, but noticeable to me, dropping 2-3 mpg avg).

I ended up getting a 98 Celica, and have nothing bad to report on it so far, other than the fact that I hate now driving an automatic!