1995 Toyota Corolla 2.0L diesel 2C from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Great reliable car; minimal maintenance

Radiator replaced in 2011 - my fault, never changed the antifreeze.

Rear shocks replaced in 2012 - worn out.

Paint fade from mostly being parked outside - started about 2005.

Thermostat is a bugger to replace.

General Comments:

Very reliable and versatile. With better care it would be still worth $4-$5000 NZ dollars. Sadly I had to say goodbye to it when someone ran into me and the repair cost was more than its market value.

Diesel motor needed its jets cleaned after 150000k.

Clutch was never replaced. The 2.0L diesel motor gave it good torque for towing heavy loads.

The aircon was still working, but only had 2 temp modes, so not full climate control. The heater was good.

Interior is boring, but that was common for the year it was made.

Review Date: 15th August, 2013

11th Oct 2014, 07:07

I am in Namibia, bought the same car in Botswana in 2012. It is now at 220 000 km, but I think my auto gearbox is almost done. It was filled with petrol and driven for about 25km, and the engine is now smoking a bit. I am though struggling to replace the gearbox.

I love the car.

Do you have an idea where I can buy this gearbox?

1995 Toyota Corolla 1.3 injection from Norway

Summary:

Superior quality

The car has 242 000 km on the tacho, and today I had it to the biannual EU-test. It came out with no remarks. Everything just fine!

For almost 2 years and 21000 km, I only changed a light bulb, outside of doing regular maintenance like changing the oil and filters.

Had the cam belt changed, but this was in accordance with the maintenance schedule.

I have owned Opel, VWs, a Mitsubishi and a Volvo. None of those seem to come close to the Corolla with respect to quality and reliability. It seems to be in a different league, far above those other brands mentioned, and probably most cars.

General Comments:

Super reliable, and cheap to run. It also uses about 5.25 litres / 100 km, giving 45 miles per US gallon, or less than 54 UK MPG, when used for commuting.

Best car I ever owned, by far.

Review Date: 4th June, 2013

31st Dec 2014, 13:35

I still own this '95 Corolla, which has now covered 258 000 km. Only oil and filter change since last time, plus one light bulb. Fantastic car!

1995 Toyota Corolla Conquest 1.8 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Great, reliable and economical car!

This car is a written-off car. I didn't realize this until after I got home with the car. However, time has proved it is a great car! This car is as reliable as I thought a Toyota should be. It hasn't had any trouble since I bought it 3 years ago, not even a little problem! Not at all!

General Comments:

The 1.8 litre engine is very strong and acceleration is decent. I have no problem driving on the highway at a speed of 110 km/hour, and it runs very smoothly with the cabin being very quiet.

The ride is comfortable thanks to its independent suspension system, both in the front and at the rear. Fuel consumption is around 9.6 L/100km in the town.

Review Date: 17th August, 2011

1995 Toyota Corolla DX 1.6 from North America

Summary:

Dependable!

Cat, muffler, strut, brakes, tires, filler neck for gas tank, driver's door handle, radiator,

General Comments:

This is only my 2nd car, and I have now had it for 3 years! I have written a review on here before, stating how much I really like this car. Even though it is now 16 years old, it is still going.

As you can see from above, the amount of maintenance I had to do over the three years really is not that much. I have also done most of the maintenance myself, and I am an amateur car mechanic. This car is very easy to work on! I am very pleased with this car, and believe I will still get a couple if not more years out of this.

Review Date: 13th February, 2011