1996 Toyota Corolla Seca 1.6 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Very reliable, fun and comfortable to drive

* Most of theses are due to general misuse from previous owner *

Cracked radiator @ 207000km; leaked coolant and overheated once.

Interior light didn't work, solder had come un-attached. Fixed this myself.

Power steering belt slips, does not affect performance in any way, just a noise.

Boot release failed @ 203000km.

Blown fuse @ 205000km, fuse belonging to stereo and cigarette lighter.

General Comments:

Very reliable, well made Toyota. Only serious things that have gone wrong are from previous owner's mistreatment. The rest of the problems are superficial.

Sits at 80-110 very nicely, comfortable seats with lots of headroom for a small car. Punchy, quick for a 1.6L engine and handles well. Has a very small turning circle, which makes it easy to park. Smooth to drive!

Only negative is it doesn't handle a full car (people) up any sort of hill very well. Starts to lack power.

But other than that, very highly recommended!

Crashed my 94 Corolla in an accident that wasn't my fault.

Got another Corolla, until I can buy a 4wd.

Review Date: 4th April, 2008

1996 Toyota Corolla 1.6 from North America

Summary:

Bit twice by Toyota, never again

It just stopped running one day and has never run well ever since.

General Comments:

I bought the car because my Topaz was well over 200k and lost compression in 2 cylinders. The Corolla for 4000 miles was everything everyone ever said about Toyota's. It was economical, reliable, did everything a go to work car was supposed to, then it died.

Once the Corolla died it started a long process of garage visits, I replaced everything under the hood, the fuel pump, all fuses, all sensors, the distributor, catalytic converter, the cam was checked for slippage, and a compression test to see if it was mechanical.

I took it to the dealer who scanned its computer and gave me a list of things to replace, I did that and the car was still dead. I then took it to an independent garage that was recommended to me, after months the car still sits there in pieces. I wound up giving the car to the garage and they still believe they can fix it.

My previous car to the Topaz was an 86 Toyota MR2, please read my review on that car, it did the same thing my Corolla did.

Car Survey is the greatest site, it has helped me avoid some lemons and find some true gems, thank you.

Review Date: 26th September, 2007

28th Sep 2007, 02:23

With that amount of miles, you cannot guarantee the drivability of the car.

19th Sep 2011, 02:52

I get very upset when people say "with that many miles, you should have known better". 130k miles?... are you serious? That's really nothing.

I also get very upset when people post reviews that are so absurdly non-specific. So, it died, for no reason, then you replaced "some parts" that "some people" told you to. Then it still didn't work.

Can you be a little more specific? And if you're not going to explain what went wrong with the car, at least go get the mechanics receipts and read what they say.

19th Sep 2011, 19:21

My best friend's 2-tear-old Corolla is literally ready for the junkyard. I have never seen a more poorly built car.

14th Jan 2013, 18:23

The garage did not know what they were doing. They took you for a ride. Sounds like they replaced everything under the hood.

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 1.8 litre from North America

Summary:

An excellent automobile

Transmission shifter light bulb out.

Paint has faded (probably from the previous owner never waxing the car.

Tie rod needed to be replaced.

General Comments:

Car is very responsive.

Plenty of room inside and for back seats.

Very inexpensive to operate.

It is like driving a go cart!! Very fun.

It is perfect for a student or commuting.

Review Date: 30th July, 2007

1996 Toyota Corolla Base 1.6L from North America

Summary:

Amazingly Reliable

When I got the car, it had not had "regular" maintenance done, so I attribute these problems to that:

Clutch.

Tires.

Rear Struts/Links.

Radiator.

Front Left Wheel Bearing.

Driver's seat belt locks and takes much persuasion to buckle.

General Comments:

This is my first car. I didn't pick it, but it's ok. I have the absolute base model, not even a clock, but it's a five speed so it has relatively good pick up. For some reason however, it's using gas like there's no tomorrow. Tune up? I have to agree with one other writer, once you have one, you see them EVERYWHERE!!! Mine stands out though, as it has a rear spoiler (factory) and the hard to find six hole hub caps. I recommend it to anyone looking for cheap and reliable transportation, and surprisingly some fun.

Review Date: 13th March, 2007

14th Mar 2007, 19:25

As far as the fuel consumption goes; find a K@N air filter that fits your Corolla, they're worth their weight in gold, put good spark plugs and wires it it, and if you haven't done it already, change your motor oil, transmission fluid (gear oil), drain and flush your radiator, and you'll be good to go. A tune up and a good air filter should make a difference in the mileage.

28th Apr 2007, 12:14

RE: I'm sorry, I realized that I listed my car under 1995, when really it's a 1996. I don't think there's a big difference. Thank you about the tune up. I believe my gas gauge is the cause for my "high" fuel consumption. Does anyone know where my antifreeze is going? It was filled when I has the rad. replaced, and now it's almost gone! The exhaust doesn't smell and you can't even see it. Any help will be much appreciated!