1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4 door sedan 1.8 gasoline from North America

Summary:

Exceptional care with limitations

Very little. With minor exceptions. Legroom limitations for the taller than average, both front and rear. Weight capacity is very limited and easily exceeded if you carry four people and cargo.

General Comments:

Superior reliability and dependability. Excellent handling, especially with tire upgrades. Only limiting factor of this car is it really isn't for folks larger than average size. Notable is limited legroom in front for the long legged and none for the rear passenger. 1997 and earlier models use a timing belt, which requires 60,000 mile replacement. Or, you risk severe engine damage. Not well presented in the owners manual. Figure $500 every 60,000 mile for replacement. This car averages 34 miles per gallon in all around driving. Super!

Review Date: 6th December, 2004

11th Jul 2005, 20:23

Most Toyota's have a non-interference engine design. The chance of engine damage from a timing belt breaking is a gross exaggeration by many dealers. The reason why the owner's manual does not state it is because of this design. Gates.com has a fairly comprehensive list of which model year, make, and model of car have interference design engines or not.

23rd Aug 2005, 00:24

500 dollars are enough to replace both engine and transmission with Japanese low-miles parts, at least here in California... timing belt replacement cost not nearly as much.

12th May 2010, 20:52

I disagree with you on the '96 Corolla not having enough legroom. I'm 5'11" and I find it extremely comfortable. The man I bought it from was over 6 feet tall, and even he said it felt perfectly comfortable.

1996 Toyota Corolla 1.8 gas from North America

Summary:

I couldn't be happier with it

Besides the regular maintenance, nothing has failed on the vehicle.

The only thing that I thought was major at first, but ended up being maintenance was the timing belt. Being a college student, $350 is a big deal.

General Comments:

This car is so worth so much more than I paid for it. Even though it has almost no creature comforts, it feels like a luxury car to me because my last vehicles were a 1977 British Leyland hatchback and a 1984 Toyota truck.

The ride is very comfortable and low speeds and on the freeway, even at 85 mph.

The interior is roomy enough for me (5'7") and all of my stuff.

The exterior is holding up very well, no rust (even though it's a Colorado car where there is a lot of snow and salt on the road), and despite it being hit once in the front, it still drives straight and the unibody is not crooked.

The best part about this car is that it gets up and goes. Now I don't know if it has something done to the engine, because I've driven other Corollas before and was not particularly impressed with the acceleration, but this car gets to 60 in a little less than 8 sec. It was almost out do my sister's RSX to 45 mph. (Her car is an automatic, without the Type S engine)

Currently it has almost 120K on the clock and honestly, it still feels like the day I bought it. It still gets 37 mpg, it's still fast, and it makes no unusual noises. I couldn't be happier with it.

Review Date: 3rd November, 2004

1996 Toyota Corolla 1.6 from North America

Summary:

Reliable and "humble"

I have owned my Corolla for a little over 8 years (140000kms) and have never had any significant problems with it.

The paint peeled a bit at the back after 3 years of owning the vehicle.

General Comments:

This is the most reliable vehicle I have owned.

I just followed regular maintenance and never had anything break on me.

Great gas mileage.

Vehicle doesn't feel safe... i.e. thin doors, small, sitting very low.

Great city car, but lacks power on highway (I am glad I have the standard version as automatic version must be sluggish on acceleration.)

Review Date: 6th September, 2004