1996 Toyota Corolla Reviews - Page 7 of 10

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 1.8 from North America

Year of manufacture1996

Summary:

The Best your money can buy

Starter went off at 57000 miles.

Had to change the brake Pads and shoes once, but obvious due to age of the car.

Clutch Plate went at 72000 and 91000 can't figure out how's it possible with a manual transmission.

Other than this THE BEST CAR EVER!!! :)

General Comments:

This is my brothers certified car. It still drives as if its brand new. Its annually driven around 15000 to 22000 miles. Though there's no leakage, I still have to put oil into it even after following 3500 regular Oil change and scheduled maintenence, but I consider this acceptable. What really puzzles me is that the Clutch plate assembly had to be changed twice for a manual transmission!!! I have never burned the clutch nor I am rough on the gears, but I often use the engine for braking or must be the dealer.

I am truly impressed by the car's performance and cheap maintenence, if you follow the factory recommended maintenence. I would definitely recommend this car especially the manual because its fun and RELIABLE!!!

Review Date: 8th July, 2005

9th Aug 2006, 17:38

1996 Toyota Corolla Review-

Sounds like I am in the minority here, but have had nothing, but trouble with my '96 Corolla. Bought it used and the brakes shimmyed and locked up from day one. Had the pads inspected and adjusted, but that only lasted a month. Soon after the rear shocks went out and costs $700 dollars to replace. Front door has been aligned twice and is still off causing the door ajar light to stay on which killed my battery. Replaced that two weeks ago then the car just died on me. Had the timing belt replaced, but found out it need an engine rebuild. I know this is hard to believe, but believe me I am living this nightmare!

1996 Toyota Corolla SD 1.6 from North America

Previous carPontiac Sunbird

Summary:

Very reliable and inexpensive to run

Front brakes replaced at 130000 km.

Rear brakes replaced at 158000 km.

Radiator replaced at 164000 km.

Battery replaced at 170000 km.

New OEM tires put on at 96000 km when I purchased the car only lasted 50000 km.

Over the last few months once in awhile the starter won't engage on the first try, suspect solenoid or starter problem.

Air conditioning may be giving out at the time of this writing.

Paint hasn't stood up well - some peeling on the trunk lid.

General Comments:

This car was a great buy for running costs, I have been able to drive and drive it with almost no problems.

Being a very basic model, it has almost no comfort or convenience features and the sound insulation isn't great. There's a lot of noise at speeds over 100 km/h.

The small engine means it's not powerful, but with 5-speed it's responsive enough for ordinary driving and gets good gas mileage. Routinely see 33-34 mpg in town and 40-45 mpg on the highway.

Review Date: 13th May, 2005

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 1.8 from North America

Previous carToyota Tacoma

Summary:

Never owned a better car!

Other than the average maintenance items, nothing has gone wrong.

The paint seems to scratch very easily however. It had 34 very visible scratches on the car when I bought it, and have I have so far been able to collect another 3 really big scratches.

General Comments:

This Corolla I am impressed with in general.

I have driven many other Corollas before (friends, family, etc.), and can't say I've been particularly impressed with them. Even the new 04' models didn't appeal to me very much.

However, when I saw this car in the dealers lot for $4900, I had to take a look, because everything that was a Corolla of this age that I had seen was over $6200.

When I drove it, the first thing I noted was how fast it was for a little compact. It really takes off for only 105 hp I believe because of the standard transmission. Since this was the only standard Corolla I had seen, I can't compare it to the newer models in terms of power.

After I bought it, several things failed, but they were all maintenance items.

The timing belt snapped, the headlights (both) burned out, the gas pedal fell off, all things that could have been prevented by maintenance.

This car is very comfortable compared to my Tacoma, and very quiet as well. I've heard other people complain that it's noisy on the freeway, but to me, it's not so bad. As long as I can hear the stereo.

The best feature is the gas mileage. I'm used to 7 mpg from my 454 Cheyenne. My Tacoma gave me great joy when I averaged 26 mpg, and this car gets about 41, so I'm now saving a lot of money at the pumps, considering I drive 70 miles a day.

The only thing that I am stumped about is why I get better gas mileage in town than on the freeway. (33 on the freeway, and 42 in the city) NO JOKE. I'm just a college student who knows nothing about cars so if someone could help me with this question, I'd be happy.

In all, I love this car because it doesn't attract too much attention on the road and yet, is fun to drive.

One last comment, "You never notice how many Corollas there are until you drive one." And there's a good reason for that, because they are so good. I've stuck my key in the wrong White 1996 Corolla DX sedan, three times in the past 2 months.

Review Date: 13th December, 2004

14th Dec 2004, 12:57

Regarding your fuel consumption on the highway.

First, make sure you are in fifth gear, not in third. I used to have a Corolla, and the gears were close, therefore I would put it into third instead of fifth. Check your rpm range (if you have it on your dash), otherwise, listen to your engine, is it VERY loud, as if it was in third? If you don't even have fifth, then that is the cause also. The lower the gear at higher speeds, the more fuel it takes.

Second, if the engine is loud, and you ARE in fifth gear, there is your explanation. As the engine gets louder, it works harder, therefore making it use more gas. In the city, the engine does not work as hard.

Third, how fast do you drive on the highway? If it's 140km/h, then it will definitely use a lot of gas. Keeping it around 90-100km/h will reduce it.

Hope this helps, email me @ wojtek112@hotmail.com if you have more questions.