1996 Toyota Corolla Reviews - Page 4 of 10

1996 Toyota Corolla 1.6L from North America

Engine and transmission 1.6L Automatic

Summary:

The most dependable car out there

Ignition key cylinder.

C/V joint.

General Comments:

The most dependable car I have ever owned. I bought it wholesale from a Chevy dealer I was working at two days before my son drove it to Arizona from NH. I don't think he even checked the fluids.

It has been across country four times (40+MPG) and has been driven hard. Oil changes every 3-7k, no transmission fluid changes, one set of tires and front brakes. He has never changed plugs or wires, and at 175,000 miles it still gets over 30MPG around town. It doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil and runs like a top.

It does need one rear coil as it was thinking over bumps, but the coil seems to have seated itself and it has lessened. Also needs a passenger side window switch. Eventually he is going to have to break down and buy a timing belt, but that is regular maintenance suggested at 90,000

The only modification made was a new stereo as his display died. He got a nice Pioneer online and the supplier sent everything to simply plug it and play it. It took us 15 minutes to change it out, and I am not electrically handy.

My daughter has a 96 Corolla as well with over 225,000 miles on it, and it looks brand new. She bought it a year ago with 200K and has not sunk a dime into it.

I had a 95 Geo Prizm, which was truly a Toyota Corolla in disguise. I loved that as well. Had to get rid of it after 50k. I needed a truck. Never did a single repair to it either.

I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a reliable, cheap to run, albeit not very sexy car. Every car will last if you do maintenance by the book. Want a true test? Give it to a college kid and let them have at it. See any car match those older Corollas

My son's girlfriend is looking for a car to get her through Grad school. Guess what we are looking at?

Review Date: 17th September, 2009

29th Jul 2012, 19:02

Just an update on this car. It now has 215,000 miles. It's getting a little old, but is still running strong. It is just starting to drop below the 30 MPG area. My daughter's 96 has 250,00 miles. Have to do some normal rust work to the rockers. Too many winters in upstate NY and NH. Still great cars.

1996 Toyota Corolla from North America

Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

This car never let me down

General Comments:

This car, though little; has so much potential.

I got this car when I graduated high school, and recently let it go (4 years later).

It never gave me problems, and it's easy to guide with.

Very good and reliable transportation.

Not too luxurious, but worth having.

The only thing I would've changed were the seats, because they would fade and get stained easily..

This is as amazing car, I will miss it very much.

Review Date: 14th April, 2009

1996 Toyota Corolla Base model 1.6 from North America

First year of ownership1996
Distance when acquired142000 miles
Most recent distance142000 miles
Previous carNissan Sentra

Summary:

Best car ever produced

Nothing, just maintenance.

- Front brakes pads @ 50K.

- Rear brakes drums @ 80K.

- Brake line @ 133K, this is the Northeast, salt eats away the metal, this is normal up here.

- Radiator, @ 90K, my fault, never changed the coolant.

- Rotor and brake pad @ 100K.

- Timing belt @ 88K.

All these are just regular maintenance.

Best car ever produced.

General Comments:

Best car ever produced. No wonder they are the number 1 car manufacturer in the world.

They make a good car.

Reliable, you can count it on all the time.

Review Date: 28th August, 2008

1996 Toyota Corolla 1.6 4 cylinder from North America

First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission 1.6 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carFord Ranger

Summary:

Lasts forever and a day

It's my wife's car. Very few bad things. It does burn about a quart of oil for every other fill up (about every 600 miles).

Had a cracked exhaust header last year, but I easily found on in the junkyard for $25.

The red paint is horribly faded.

General Comments:

I am amazed how easy it is to work on this car. Toyota really thought of how a mechanic would have to work around the engine compartment.

It is an economy car, so it is a dog as far as performance goes, but it always gets 30-32 mpg and it is still going strong at 311,000 miles.

There is no sign that this car is going to die anytime soon.

Review Date: 21st April, 2008

12th Sep 2012, 00:27

Good review. My old 82 Toyota truck has 380,000. Shows no signs of stopping. Passed emissions testing every time.

The only thing that kills a Toyota is rust!