1996 Toyota Corolla SD 1.6L 4 cylinder. (4A-FE) from North America

Summary:

The most reliable car you can buy

Brake line corroded and started to leak.

General Comments:

This car is just like its reputation says it is: extremely well made and very, very reliable.

This is one of the 8 Toyota's my family owned/ownes and just like the other ones, this one has been nothing, but great.

My family bought this vehicle because we only had one other vehicle at the time and needed something cheap that got us from A to B. This car does exactly just that.

Even though this car is only the base model, it is very comfortable and drives very well. The automatic transmission shifts very smooth and the steering feels nice and tight. There are no rattles inside the cabin and the materials look and feel very well made.

My sister rolled the car into a ditch last winter and totalled the car. We bought the car back from our insurance agency, popped the dents out (there was a lot of snow in the ditch so the only the sides of the car were dented) and got the car registered again. It still runs like a champ.

I would strongly suggest getting the standard transmission instead of the automatic because the automatic sucks a lot more gas and power.

I would strongly recommend this car to anybody who is looking for a cheap, comfortable and reliable car.

Review Date: 18th September, 2006

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 1.8 from North America

Summary:

Great car, very reliable

I loved this car, besides regular maintenance like oil changes, timing belt replacement, new brakes, I have NEVER had any problems with it.

General Comments:

This was my first car @ 16 year old. I love this car, it never gave me any problems. The only thing I didn’t really liked was the look of the car. However it was very reliable, great on gas, I got a discount on my insurance, and even when I sold it 5 years later with 180,000 miles, it still had a blue book value of almost $4000. It is just a great car all around! I definitely buy another.

Review Date: 6th August, 2006

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 1.6 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

No surprises, Toyota's number one

No real big problems.

Tail lights worked some of the time, and this car had a tendency to burn out headlights quite often.

It also lost, a lot of oil and antifreeze. 1 quart of oil every 800-900 miles, and 1 gallon of antifreeze every 4-5K miles. Honestly, I don't know where it all went, because the mechanic said that the engine wasn't burning anything and that it was running in tip top shape. My garage floor was always clean without a drop of anything, and the engine compartment is spotless. I'm confused. Where are my fluids going? Oil heaven?

Nonetheless, a great car.

General Comments:

It replaced a Toyota Tacoma with 397K miles. I was hoping it'd go a little longer, but of course, you never know when someone's going to run into your rear end and push your spare tire into the backseat.

It's comfy and cozy for a little car. Was.

I liked it a lot. I was impressed with the pickup of this little thing, I assume because it was a stick shift.

Gas mileage was good, but not outstanding. 27 in the city, and around 39 on the highway. I drive 60 MPH on the freeway with any car.

Aside from those weird quirky issues of the headlights and the disappearing oil and antifreeze, it's been a great car. It's no longer in drivable because I got smashed, but it did it's job well. No surprises here, it's a well built car.

Review Date: 13th May, 2006

15th May 2006, 01:28

Re the oil and antifreeze burning: These are classical symptoms of a head gasket failure (it's probably on its way out). Look for "mayonnaise" signs on your oil cap. On the other hand, I guess your mechanic has already checked this out, so he should have noticed it...