2004 Toyota Corolla HE 1.8 from India

Summary:

Great car

Right front bearing got worn out, right window motor was not working... both repaired

General Comments:

A real gem of a car. Has never ditched me.

I bought this car second hand when it already had clocked about 85000 km and was five years old. My previous car was a small economy hatch, the ubiquitous Maruti Suzuki 800cc, which no doubt may be small but has a lion's heart. I had it for 13 years and had once done about 400 miles in one stretch with just two stops in about 12 hours. However its reliability decreased over time.

The Corolla was a huge jump for me from a 200,000 rupee car to a 1,300,000 rupee car. But boy it's a great, great car. The words that come to my mind are solidity and reliability, and mind you here in India it's a tough place to drive. I have taken my Toyota to the mountains many times and covered long distances, and it has never let me down. I like the comfort and the way everything wears like seat covers, carpets etc. They still look pristine.

Review Date: 14th January, 2016

2004 Toyota Corolla CE 1.8 gas from North America

Summary:

Best car I ever owned!

The original tires were only good for about 50,000km. The replacement tires lasted twice that long.

I had a noisy wheel bearing at 126,000. The Toyota dealer told me it was my tires, so I had it fixed elsewhere.

The brake pads were replaced once, then all brakes were redone at 162,000. I did that myself.

Most maintenance was done by the Toyota dealer.

Overall, I could not have asked for better reliability.

General Comments:

My fuel mileage averaged almost exactly 40mpg (UK gallons) over the time I had it.

I towed a 4X8 utility trailer, which I used for home use.

I had a roof rack I used for canoes and a rooftop cargo box I used occasionally for extra cargo space.

In the winter I carried chains, and they came in handy a few times.

It served as a multipurpose vehicle for me. It was very economical and very reliable. I really could not have asked more from it.

It was written off when someone rear ended me at a stoplight. It was not badly damaged, but with the cost of repairs, the age and the mileage, it was not considered worth fixing. The insurance company paid me out for the car.

At the point of write off there were no outstanding issues. The car was running like new and showing very little aging. The interior was still nice and the paint was holding up well.

It never had any squeaks or rattles, ever.

I bought the car originally from a car rental company. When it was written off, I went back to the same company and bought a 2009 Mazda 3 sedan. I bought the Mazda because it is a more sporty handling car, and it came in RED.

Review Date: 15th April, 2011

2004 Toyota Corolla GL 1.8 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Absolutely great car

Absolutely NOTHING, the car is fabulous, great to drive, comfortable, very reliable, and has a pretty good amount of power.

My friend has an 02 Astra, which is the rival, and he has had a few problems with leaky radiator and broken air con. Have also found his car uncomfortable.

Overall, would recommend this Corolla to anyone. Even like it better than the new one!

General Comments:

Same as above really.

Review Date: 10th February, 2011

2004 Toyota Corolla ZZE Conquest Seca 1.8L from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Everything I want in a car and nothing that I don't

Number plate started to rattle.

Battery went flat in the remote.

General Comments:

The biggest problem I have with this car is that because it requires so little effort from me to maintain, I keep forgetting to keep the tires inflated and check the oil.

Every time I check the oil it's still full, but I'm sure one day it won't be.

I have had this car for four years. I just drive it, and it keeps doing what it's supposed to do.

The only maintenance that's ever been done is the scheduled maintenance and tires.

My previous car was a Holden Astra, which was always getting repaired.

It's taking me a while to get used to having a car that just keeps going.

Review Date: 15th June, 2010

10th Feb 2011, 20:09

My 04 Corolla's plate at the rear rattles as well. Solution - stuck some sponge up behind the plate and has worked great (provided you don't slam the boot too hard, cos it falls out).