2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD 3.4L V6 from North America

Summary:

Hands down the best driving truck I have ever owned

Mildew seems to build up in the door internals; notice a mildew smell when rolling down windows.

General Comments:

This truck has a sure-footed feel about it. Negotiates rough terrain very well.

Ample acceleration with a sporty feel. Very easy to drive.

Seats are very comfortable all the way around. Controls are easy to reach and operate.

Review Date: 19th February, 2004

30th Mar 2004, 09:49

I am left wondering if this truck is a limited model. I own a non-limited same model truck and the all around seat comfort is horrible if your trip is longer than one hour.

2001 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Best truck EVER

There is a really weird little seal on the wheel flares that has come off on the front passenger's side. I have no idea why it's weather-sealed, since it's just a piece of plastic, and, because it's all black, you can't tell that it's missing. I was a little disappointed in that, as it came off at around 1500 miles, but I drive the truck pretty hard, and it's very exposed, so I guess it's OK.

General Comments:

I have the 4cyl SR5 4x4, and I _love_ this truck. It drives like a champ - everyone who has driven has remarked on how easy and how much like a car it drives. The steering is tight, the brakes are perfect, and the low-gear acceleration is enough to get me in and out of California traffic. I drove it from North Carolina, through Canada, and then down across the continental divide in late winter of 2002, and it was just a great, great trip. The seats are solid and not fatiguing. And it comes with THREE cup holders in the front and two more in the back. That may seem kind of silly, but it's just a great indicator of how much attention Toyota pays to the driver. It is very reasonable on gas, as well. Obviously, it doesn't turn on a dime, and it's no one's idea of a cornering monster, but people who drive 4X4 trucks have no business taking hot corners anyways. I am already looking forward to my next Tacoma 4X4.

Review Date: 21st May, 2003

5th Nov 2004, 22:29

I've had that same problem with the seals on the flares. When we lived in CA, we took it to the dealer and they replaced all of them for free. They said it was a defect n the adhesive or material, something like that. Painless dealer interaction! Tacomas' Rock!!!

7th Nov 2004, 16:24

Hi, I own a 2001 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner. It is a 3.4 v6 automatic transmission. I don't know too much about vehicles, but lately I have tried to find out what my gas millage is. I've always thought of Toyota's having good gas millage, but when I averaged mine it came out at like 13.4 mpg. I don't think that is right, and I've heard it should be around 20 mpg. Could I be running it too hard and it be sucking my gas up. Please comment because I would like to know what I might be doing wrong. Thanks... Jason.

2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre Runner 2.7 four cylnder from North America

Summary:

A fun driving stock truck, on or off road

The rubber seal on the plastic wheel well cover doesn't stay on and the black on the bumper and the wheel well covers fade.

General Comments:

For a four cylinder it performs great and the stock heigth, bigger tires, and stereo is great.

Review Date: 19th May, 2003

2001 Toyota Tacoma SR5 PRERUNNER 3.4 liter V6 from North America

Summary:

Waste of money, go buy a REAL truck

Listed in my previous review.

General Comments:

This is to the gentleman who responded to my previous review:

There are such things as lemons, and I beleive that I got one. The Toyota was completely bone-stock, no modifications. I do not drive aggresively, and as far as the comment about checking my window locks...I'm not an idiot. Everyone I know that own s a '01 Tacoma has had similar problems with their vehicles. If you work for Toyota, I feel that Toyota should take better care of their customers if they are going to sell products such as these. If you don't, then consider the fact that you didn't own my truck and you didn't have to go through the frustration that I did with it. Thank you for your thoughts.

Review Date: 28th March, 2003

23rd Dec 2004, 15:55

I agree, My 01 Tacoma has as much problems as my 86 Celica. Two weeks after I took the car off the lot, my radiator blew up. On rainy days, water leaks inside the car thru the engine. Sometimes my car doesn't even start in the morning so I tow it back to the dealers and you know what? its not thier problem and its not a lemon.