2001 Toyota Tacoma Standard Pickup 2.7 from North America

Summary:

Cheap Bench Seats really tear at your back and Automatic Trans is really failure prone

Transmission Automatic Failed 22000 miles pump failure dealer claims bad casting. Second Toyota automatic vehicle with low mileage transmission failure.

General Comments:

Recommend buyers avoid automatic Tacoma Transmission Truck mine failed for no reason. I have never towed are fully loaded this truck. Truck used as basic commuter and trans failed and dealer replaced it under warranty. If you buy a Tacoma Truck with Auto make sure you get the extended warranty.

Review Date: 19th September, 2002

24th Apr 2003, 00:50

I agree with the person who made the last comment. I posted the "Waste of money, go buy a REAL truck" review. I'm glad to see that someone else feels the same way I do about these things. They are indeed a pile, and the dealers just flat out suck. I will never, ever, EVER buy another Toyota product again. I traded my Tacoma for a 2000 Jeep TJ Wrangler, and it has been a great investment. Even the Jeep dealer said that they were having a hard time selling the Toyota because people have heard too many bad things about the new ones. If you want a bomb-proof 4x4 that will go ANYWHERE stock, buy a Jeep. If you want a solid, sturdy, on and off road pickup, buy a GMC Sierra or a Ford Ranger. Toyotas are JUNK.

24th Jul 2003, 10:37

I have owned 2 Toyota trucks in the past and both have been very dependable. They are not intended to ride like Cadillac's, if you want that type of ride by all means buy a Cadillac. The last Toyota I owned for 10 years and it was basically maintenance free. I just bought a new Tacoma Double cab and I am very happy with performance, ride, and toyota quality. Keep up the good work!!

2001 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 4x4 3.4V6 from North America

Summary:

Suspension does not live up to the Toyota TRD name

The front suspension squeaks over bumps and makes "clunking" sounds. The dealer has not been able to solve the problems, even though bushings have been replaced. The truck is now out of warranty!

The seats have very poor lateral support. When on winding roads, it's hard to stay in the middle of the seat. I end up shoved against the door.

General Comments:

I've about had it with the front suspension issues. I'm hoping I might be able to get it resolved with after market bushings.

I've had other 4x4 Tacomas with no problems. I thought the TRD would be more of an "off road" vehicle, but I'm beginning to think it was designed to commute, not off road!

Review Date: 12th August, 2002

19th Mar 2003, 23:59

The nut backed it self off my my sway bar link. Just about caused an accident. I too will never buy anothet Toyota agin. I don't know what happened to Toyotas. I had and '87 4x4 with 120,000 on it when I bought it and 200,00 on it when I sold it. Never one problem. So I go buy a 2001, nothing but problems. Dealship flat-out sucks and they won't fix anything on it without a big argument.

2001 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab 4X4 3.4 from North America

Summary:

It is better than a Nissan, but expensive

1. Dash Squeaks, dealer took 2 weeks to fix it. error after error.

2. Bad Mileage, 12-13MPG, compare to others in the same class 19-20MPG. Toyota dealer/corporate is not taking responsibility to this issue. ECU could be the fault, but Toyota does not want to swap it out, they said it was too much money for them. At first Toyota said it is operator error, then when they have their own driver test it, it was the same.

General Comments:

I think the truck is good, better if it is Manual. Factory does not offer manual. I drove it thru Los Coyotes in California, it handled well, and was pleased with the 4x4 options.

I think the GM/Toyota plant that built this truck in Freemont, CA should be shut down. Because they do not support their product.

I think the interior design team for Toyota should be shot, ask any Tacoma driver where is the clock, and they will give a :| look.

I wish they have the Hi-Lux versions here in US, because the trucks are more reliable, and Diesel too.

People buy trucks and decided it is uncomfortable, and complain... It is a truck, not a BMW X5 status symbol. I bought this truck for fit, function and form. I think they made it Automatic because of the whiners.

Review Date: 2nd August, 2002

28th Oct 2002, 00:46

I would appreciate knowing how the dash squeak was resolved-what caused it? I have a 2002 double cab and also have a dash that squeaks. You might be able to cut down on the diagnostic time if you tell me what finally resolved your problem. Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to offer.